Golden Hit: Holiday Special ☃️ Congrats to Remmy! ❄️

fountain

Merry Christmas everybody! For a gift, I got you all some ****** reviews! 

I didn’t say this in each individual review, so let me pre-empt this by thanking each of you for taking the time to write and submit! There were a number of rather somber and serious submissions, and I appreciate each of you for choosing to share such personal works with us. I hope that you found writing your songs to be cathartic, and that wherever you are and whatever you’re doing this holiday season you’ll try to take a few moments to sit still, close your eyes, quiet your mind, take a few deep breaths, and let yourself be at peace—if only for a moment. :heart2:

Now onto the bit you care about!

@StormFury - Reconciliation

Spoiler

I like that you chose to write about a New Years resolution (it’s a noteworthy holiday season tradition!), but I’m not sure how I feel about the fact that you wrote the song vaguely enough that you can’t necessarily tell that it’s about a New Years resolution. On the one hand, it would make it possible to listen to and appreciate the song at any time of year, but on the other hand it doesn’t really feel like something written especially for a “holiday special” challenge. 

I appreciate how straight forward this song is in terms of both concept and syntax, as it gives your writing a certain sense of unembellished honesty; sentiments like “I know I can do better” just hit harder when said outright rather than when dressed up in metaphor. 

I think it was interesting not to include a chorus or hook here, as the lack of one almost makes this feel more like an album intro or interlude rather than a proper song (and there’s nothing wrong with that!). Overall, this was a pretty solid entry.

@Hug - I’m Making Snow

Spoiler

I don’t really have much to say because you’re Hugamari and you already know that you’re a talented writer with an exemplary gift for all of the facets of writing: structure, rhyme schemes, imagery, hooks, the whole shebang. You certainly set out to do what you intended, mocking holiday songs and environmental themes as you did, but I think it still works if you “play it straight.” (I have to ask, because I can’t stop wondering, is the concept of “making snow” meant to be a metaphor for making cocaine? Nothing else in the song gives me that vibe, so I’m inclined to think not, but… that is where my mind goes… 🤔).

@Euterpe- Jolly

Spoiler

Not you murdering Santa! This was a cute and theatrical take on a rather unique concept, and you pulled it off quite well! A couple of little nitpicks for you. First, I don’t really like that both the chorus and first verse have lines that are just lists of words (“watching…” / “mean…”); it’s not something I’d advise doing more than once in a song, if even that. Second, the line “I will make you pay a fine” doesn’t really match the intensity shown elsewhere in the song, so it sort of stands out in a bit of a negative way. I do love that you found a way to make Hermey’s interest in dentistry relevant to the song, as well as the chorus line about Santa being naughty. In fact, I think it would’ve been cool to utilize more Santa imagery in the song. For example, instead of simply saying “I came to you one dark night,” you could have written a line about Hermey sneaking down Santa’s chimney; it would have drawn a great contrast between the iconography of Santa going down the chimney to deliver gifts and your imagery of Hermey going to commit murder. But I thought this was great!

@Aurora- Gingerbread Man

Spoiler

Great use fake out intro—starting it out like a classic Christmas song about being alone and wanting to find love and then saying “**** that, I want to get ******” was pretty clever. Clever is a pretty apt description of this song; I know how hard it can be to make those internal rhymes work, and you have a metric ton of them. I also appreciate that when trying to decide which Christmas / food metaphors to sexualize, you settled for “all of them.” So many. Good for you. *****. My few complaints here center around your chorus. First, I think the song really could’ve used a prechorus; the transitions feel quite disjointed. Second, I think the chorus might have been stronger if it contrasted with the verses more, rather than simply continuing with similar metaphors; it might have been a good opportunity to add something a bit more personal or direct to the lyrics. I do like the “let’s get baked and make this boy a gingerbread man” hook, though! I had a feeling we’d get a sexual submission like this, and it certainly bypassed expectations! Ended Santa Baby, if we’re honest!

@Julia Fox- Merry Christmas

Spoiler

You did a great job setting the tone for your submission; your imagery and word choice was very effective in that regard. (Although I think the “ho ho ho” of the first verse could have been replaced with something better). I like your chorus. It’s simple and understated in just the right way, and the repetition is effective (it’s easy to imagine a vocalist singing each of those three lines with different emotion and inflections). Good job!

@Legend E- My Mother’s Heart

Spoiler

Well, that was cheerful. You have great structure, syntax, and tremendous imagery here; you deploy your adjectives very effectively. I don’t love how many times you repeat “rope” and “baubles” in the choruses, as they’re both words that have lots of easy synonyms that would’ve fit and added even more imagery to the song. You say in your note that the ropes are garlands, but I think it would’ve been more effective to actually use “garlands” or “tinsel” in the song to heighten the effect of that juxtaposition within the text. Still, there was a very strong and powerful entry. Well done!

@fountain- Koi in the Frozen Pond

Spoiler

Whoa. I thought this was gonna be a whole extended metaphor about the koi, but it wasn’t that! I do really love this style of writing where each stanza introduces new similes and imagery, and you tied it all back to the koi so effortlessly in the end. Now for my shallow critiques: the phrase “forms outside your car” really sticks out like a sore thumb for how unpoetic it is compared to much of your writing here. On top of that, “forms” is such a bland and undescriptive verb. I think something like “I’m like the morning frost that blankets your car” would better match the poetry of your song, while utilizing a verb that spruces up the line and adds some imagery. The “ice” stanza is the weakest for me, I think. The idea of being ice on the ground feels very unrelated to the last two lines of that quatrain. Lovely song overall!

@Jackson-Peppermint World

Spoiler

I’m not sure if I just read a song or the lost synopsis of a unmade 2010 Katy Perry music video. Or maybe one that actually got made, IDK, I don’t watch her tacky crap. 

This is a decent entry into the “I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday” category of Christmas songs, so kudos for that. You use adjectives superbly here, everything is so vividly described without feeling forced. However, your generally excellent syntax makes “LED light show” stand out horribly. You could have said literally anything and you chose “LED”? And “piercing” is such a violent word to use in such a sweet song. Perhaps a sparkling light show could have twinkled through your window? Perhaps a festive light show could have dazzled like stained glass in your window? I’m too hung up on this to come up with anything else to comment on. Um. Nice work on your alternating choruses, though I think it might have benefitted from a proper HOOK. Instead I’ve been hooked by your LED lights. :tsk: 

@Remmy- Ghost of Christmas Past

Spoiler

Remmy no. I think I’m going to keep this brief because if I keep reading your song to look for things to comment on I might start crying. So beautiful so powerful so sad. “I see the lights and wish I could shine that way.” The title line. The scrapbook. Lord. I didn’t need to be punched in the face repeatedly at midnight on Christmas. But I’m so thankful to you for assaulting me with a masterpiece. I can’t. You really deployed that title line so flawlessly, and at just the right part of the song. And then you did the Taylor Swift thing and structured the climax of your narrative in the bridge. You seriously just… put those feelings into words. This song feels lived in. Simply superior songwriting. 

(PS: my scores won’t be as harsh as some of these comments might make you think!) :grump:

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountain

• Aurora

• Remmy

• Augmented

3 hours ago, Achilles. said:

Great use fake out intro—starting it out like a classic Christmas song about being alone and wanting to find love and then saying “**** that, I want to get ******” was pretty clever. Clever is a pretty apt description of this song; I know how hard it can be to make those internal rhymes work, and you have a metric ton of them. I also appreciate that when trying to decide which Christmas / food metaphors to sexualize, you settled for “all of them.” So many. Good for you. *****. My few complaints here center around your chorus. First, I think the song really could’ve used a prechorus; the transitions feel quite disjointed. Second, I think the chorus might have been stronger if it contrasted with the verses more, rather than simply continuing with similar metaphors; it might have been a good opportunity to add something a bit more personal or direct to the lyrics. I do like the “let’s get baked and make this boy a gingerbread man” hook, though! I had a feeling we’d get a sexual submission like this, and it certainly bypassed expectations! Ended Santa Baby, if we’re honest!

I'm glad you too enjoyed the intro and verses! I didn't initially see a prechorus working for this song, but on second thought perhaps one of the outro lyrics could have been repurposed as a prechorus? It's interesting you found the verses and choruses somewhat disjointed, yet acknowledged their thematic similarities. 🤔 I definitely see how the chorus could have had more of an impact if it contrasted with the verses, rather than effortlessly flowing between them as I had intended.

Glad you liked the hook, though! It was definitely the catalyst for the whole "using Christmas-themed food items as euphemisms for sex", and I selected that as the centrepiece as it had the most direct personal connection to me. Thanks for your review, and have a good Christmas!

Happy Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all :hughard: I hope that you all have a great time no matter how it is that you are spending it, and treat yourself well! We’ll be here with the results in a few days time once the festivities have died down a little bit before the New Year, in the mean time have fun and do something special for yourself lovely people :date:

@StormFury @Hug @Euterpe @Aurora @Julia Fox @Legend E @Jackson @Remmy

@Augmented @Achilles. @JoeAg @TruGemini

:heart:

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to all :foxaylove: Hope you're having a great one!! :gaycat1:

I know my more serious songs (typically) get a good amount of praise but wow, I really wasn't expecting it to get to this level :jonny6: Glad you all enjoyed it (so far) and felt the emotions I was giving off. I especially love Augmented's review because honestly when I write these songs I just want them to sound good and make sense, and you taught me a few things about my own entry that I just unintentionally did. :laugh: Plus I definitely don't have a high self-esteem so while writing it I was not aware of how special people would think it was. :blush: Thank you thank you thank you judges

Fun fact, I actually can't relate to my own song :keir: I was just in the mood to tell a sad ass Christmas story. But if anyone out there can relate then I hope you're close to healing :heart:

Here is Ghost of Christmas Past~

[intro]
Kids setting up decorations with mom and dad
At this point, I have no need for that
Because I've still got mine up from last year

[verse i]
I always looked forward to December, but now I can't help to remember
The things that we did this time of year
The way you'd hold me up to the top of the tree,
The food we'd make, from cupcakes to brie,
I never anticipated stopping so, soon

Now the traditions are nothing to me
And I've become so unkind
After the paperwork that was left behind
There's no Christmas cards I'll ever sign

I leave 2 stockings on the mantle
What am I still doing this for,
If you're not here anymore?

[chorus]
I see the lights and wish I could shine that way
I feel the cold and it's coming from my own heart
Lost hope for Christmas, but I'm still countin' the days
When a life ends, how do I restart?
I lost more than you, 'cause i'm tearing myself apart

From now to New Year's Eve
It's hard to be happy and believe
When a memory is all I'll receive

[verse ii]
It hurts to know that we parted with no goodbye
Raised me for 20 years, then forced me to fly
But I can't even get one foot off the ground

The partridges and the turtle doves
The fireplace and soft, wool gloves
Maybe all the magic wasn't meant to last
I guess you're my ghost of Christmas past.

[chorus]

[bridge]
Always wanted time alone, now I have too much
Always needed love, now I don't have enough
Pain used to be a consistent friend
But now it's trying to wrap these string lights around my neck
So there's a chance to get back to you

Not long from Christmas, December 1 to 8
Seems like you knew they were your final days
Your room's still untouched, like a closed museum

But I went in, my first time in months
A chill in the air made my heart drop
I found a scrapbook, gift wrapped with my name on top
Sat for hours in tears, they refused to stop

Looking through your life, gave me inspiration for mine
Got to the last page and it said "You'll be fine"....

[outro]
Perhaps it's time to deal with what I have
Instead of the things that I can't bring back
And do everything that you never got to do

I'm not one for surprises, but now I've realized
That maybe getting a memory isn't so bad,
When it's new

59 minutes ago, Remmy said:

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to all :foxaylove: Hope you're having a great one!! :gaycat1:

I know my more serious songs (typically) get a good amount of praise but wow, I really wasn't expecting it to get to this level :jonny6: Glad you all enjoyed it (so far) and felt the emotions I was giving off. I especially love Augmented's review because honestly when I write these songs I just want them to sound good and make sense, and you taught me a few things about my own entry that I just unintentionally did. :laugh: Plus I definitely don't have a high self-esteem so while writing it I was not aware of how special people would think it was. :blush: Thank you thank you thank you judges

Reveal hidden contents

Fun fact, I actually can't relate to my own song :keir: I was just in the mood to tell a sad ass Christmas story. But if anyone out there can relate then I hope you're close to healing :heart:

Reveal hidden contents

[intro]

[verse i]

[chorus]

[verse ii]

[chorus]

[bridge]

[outro]

When it's new

Acclaimed as deserved :heart2: legend!

8 hours ago, fountain said:

Happy Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all :hughard: I hope that you all have a great time no matter how it is that you are spending it, and treat yourself well! We’ll be here with the results in a few days time once the festivities have died down a little bit before the New Year, in the mean time have fun and do something special for yourself lovely people :date:

:heart:

And to you, as well! :hug:

1 hour ago, Remmy said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

[intro]

[verse i]

[chorus]

[verse ii]

[chorus]

[bridge]

[outro]

When it's new

The fraudulence, the trickery, the scam! Disqualify ha. :eek:

I kid: Sir Remmington, this was genuinely beautiful writing through and through. I was hooked from the latter two sections of the first verse, but the chorus (especially its ending tercet), the titular lyric, the scrapbook, the optimistic outro... we love a Christmas miracle, and this piece of writing definitely is just that!

1 hour ago, Remmy said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

[intro]

[verse i]

[chorus]

[verse ii]

[chorus]

[bridge]

[outro]

When it's new

gag us a little omg :jonny6:

Shall we have a little New Years' 24 hour challenge while we are waiting for @JoeAg?

skai.jpg

Hey everybody! I’m tentatively going to schedule results for Wednesday at 7PM eastern time (that is roughly 22 hours from this post). We’ll be finding out who is our Holiday #1, and Aurora and I will also have a little announcement in store too :spin:

To make sure that this timing is convenient for as many people as possible, I’m happy to move it around a little if anybody has suggestions for other times. If not we’ll just stick with 7 eastern (because it’s easiest for me to remember, with it being midnight my time :rip:)

Hope you’re looking forward to it and are enjoying the Holidays!

:date:

I'll most likely be working, but good luck everyone and may the holiday spirit guide you well into the new year! :gaycat4:

7 hours ago, fountain said:

Aurora and I will also have a little announcement in store too

Living in nis is the new thing! :duca:

5 hours ago, Aurora said:

I'll most likely be working, but good luck everyone and may the holiday spirit guide you well into the new year! :gaycat4:

If it serves Halloween results I’ll be giving 

spacer.png

and it’ll last like 10 minutes so maybe you’d make it 🫢

On 12/25/2022 at 6:02 AM, Achilles. said:

Whoa. I thought this was gonna be a whole extended metaphor about the koi, but it wasn’t that! I do really love this style of writing where each stanza introduces new similes and imagery, and you tied it all back to the koi so effortlessly in the end. Now for my shallow critiques: the phrase “forms outside your car” really sticks out like a sore thumb for how unpoetic it is compared to much of your writing here. On top of that, “forms” is such a bland and undescriptive verb. I think something like “I’m like the morning frost that blankets your car” would better match the poetry of your song, while utilizing a verb that spruces up the line and adds some imagery. The “ice” stanza is the weakest for me, I think. The idea of being ice on the ground feels very unrelated to the last two lines of that quatrain. Lovely song overall!

Just remembered I hadn’t replied to this yet cause of Christmas, thank you for the review :heart:

Your suggestion for the car lyric change is definitely an improvement! I won’t plagiarise it but you’re right, the original is a bit too straightforward. 

With the ice verse, my intention for how the last two lines relate is that where I live the place you’ll most commonly come across homeless individuals is typically on the ground outside big stores in shopping places. I think it’s because with the increased amount of people in the area and those entering in and out of the shops, there’s more chance of a selfless individual offering them some help. But typically a lot of people will see them ahead and walk around them and avoid them, even if they haven’t said or done anything except sit there, and when the only reason that they are there at all is in the hope that people might help them. I found this comparable to ice on the ground that people side step, so that was how that verse was supposed to be connected :bloo: I do see how it doesn’t connect as much as the other verses though because obviously ice itself doesn’t ask for help lol but this is the part where the song was meant to be becoming a bit more literal and where you begin to realise what it is actually talking about. Maybe it could’ve been worded in another way to make it apply in both instances though!

Hey everyone! Results will be beginning one hour from now :heart:

Unfortunately JoeAg was not able to complete judging in time but we will be continuing with the scores from Achilles., Augmented and TruGemini

Looking forward to seeing the results and who has won this snowball fight!

spacer.png

Thank you for joining us for the results of Golden Hit’s Holiday Special!

Together we have braved the cold and nine great songs were written, but only one can be placed on top of the Christmas tree! :foxaylove3:

Thanks to everybody who participated, both the writers and our judges, for helping us end the year together this way.  Golden Hit debuted in 2022 and I’m happy to say it has been a real fulfilling experience, and I’m glad it will continue in the New Year.  :hug:

Taking a thematic spin with the Halloween and Holiday Specials has been a lot of fun, but from here on we’ll be heading into 2023 moving towards Golden Hit Season 3!

Hopefully we get to see as many of you lovely and talented people there when that begins :heart:

but in the meantime, let’s kick off these Holiday results…

:wave2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.