• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• C-Amber

• Jay07

• anti-bitch

• A.R.L

11 minutes ago, Almighty Gaga said:

The utter irony. Because Germany (the rest of European countries doing the same performative bs) are so well-known for their human rights :dies: people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

?? Germany is not violating any human rights in 2022 unlike the Qatari government

5 minutes ago, Bloodflowers. said:

But... but.... but.... You don't understand, white gays knows what's best for you and your culture with their obvious moral superior stance :juanny:

What are you even trying to say? That the japanese kissing Qatar's homophobic a$$es is better than Germany at least showing performative disapproval? :rip:

You know I like you a lot but I have been seeing some very questionable things you have posted related to the WC2022 and Islam :doc:

Glad they lost today, I love seeing the DFB losing:WAP: They had the audacity to criticize their own country for not hyping them up enough, as if we owe them support. CLOWNS!

9 minutes ago, katara said:

This is just empty and performative **** that comes directly after their biggest sponsor Rewe dropped them.

They are doing this in hopes to appease Rewe ($$$) more than anything. 

Why would they appease Rewe if that contract was expiring anyway? They're just trying to save face after telling the public how they would voice their opinion loud in Quatar, but chickened out as soon as some vague threat was issued by FIFA.

Edited by The Next Day

7 minutes ago, katara said:

What are you even trying to say? That the japanese kissing Qatar's homophobic a$$es is better than Germany at least showing performative disapproval? :rip:

You know I like you a lot but I have been seeing some very questionable things you have posted related to the WC2022 and Islam :doc:

I just don't like this "us versus them" cultural war mentality that only further makes moderates in that region go against West and by default makes arab queer community which already have tough situation get worse when they go for witch-hunt. There is a time and place to advocate these things but in doing so, it sparks cultural ignorance on how differently this topic is viewed and should be taken with caution instead aggressivness because once World Cup is done, they all get to go home to their countries safe while it's the queer community that will be on the receiving end of this cultural war. The lack of how Western people don't see or refuse to see how they are coming across to them is concerning and ignorant. They already see Westerners as occupiers who committed a lot of bad things in their region and now want to speak about justice and think their beliefs are superior to theirs, making it a cultural war on LGBT issues which results queer community getting attacks and they are seen as "product of the West". It's not your fight to fight, it's a tough battle for people living in that culture which is their home to fight that battle since they know their situation and how people breathe there best! Hope that makes it more clear, sorry for my terrible long English sis :skull:

Performative or not, it's at least something and it's being done in front of an audience of mostly straight guys so it counts. No, I wouldn't expect them to stay home from the biggest soccer tournament in the world that only happens every 4 years and potentially jeopardize their entire career. This protest matters. The sellouts can keep kissing Qatari ass and playing in their blood soaked stadiums without a care in the world.

23 minutes ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

Well, it’s over. The trolling is only going to worsen. 

And it started. They just made it worse in all aspects. 

3 minutes ago, Bloodflowers. said:

I just don't like this "us versus them" cultural war mentality that only further makes moderates in that region go against West and by default makes arab queer community which already have tough situation get worse when they go for witch-hunt. There is a time and place to advocate these things but in doing so, it sparks cultural ignorance on how differently this topic is viewed and should be taken with caution instead aggressivness because once World Cup is done, they all get to go home to their countries safe while it's the queer community that will be on the receiving end of this cultural war. The lack of how Western people don't see or refuse to see how they are coming across to them is concerning and ignorant. They already see Westerners as occupiers who committed a lot of bad things in their region and now want to speak about justice and think their beliefs are superior to theirs, making it a cultural war on LGBT issues which results queer community getting attacks and they are seen as "product of the West". It's not your fight to fight, it's a tough battle for people living in that culture which is their home to fight that battle since they know their situation and how people breathe there best! Hope that makes it more clear, sorry for my terrible long English sis :skull:

This.

Western people already viewed as oppressive here, they only came to ruin things, start wars, kill people, and the examples are many. So the last thing an Arab will do is listen their beliefs about LGBTQ, damn if a small shop here sold a simple chocolate bar with the flag on it the entire shop will be reported and probably shut down. But now a western people coming, acting superior, doing these moves, attack the nations, just for them to lose the game, its just made it way worse, I used to say maybe we'll have rights in 100 years here, but now after this, it probably doubled to 500 years, I've never seen so much people here been mad about this like today, majority didn't even subscribe to watch the world cup, but now they started watching (even the non football fan) just because they want to stand in solidarity with Qatar against West.

Yall think you did something good, coming to a different culture (that already have negative views about west) scream your own values at their faces and expected yourself and us to win? Nah we lost, you'll go to your homes in two weeks with happy face you did something, while our fight here became worse.

13 minutes ago, Bloodflowers. said:

I actually agree with this, it’s also time that the West addresses their own racism/homophobia/sexism as much as it does that of the Middle East. Obviously there’s different degrees of those factors existing in each region, but it’s marginalised minorities that are putting those issues on the agenda in the West, only for the establishment to put those issues on the agenda of other continents 

I'm trying to understand. So being silent and saying nothing is better? There was certainly no progress being made by other means. So people that already were homophobic are now even more homophobic because people pointed out their homophobia? And that is the fault of the people doing the protest and not the actual homophobes that would shut a shop down over a rainbow flag?

It sounds like you've been Stockholm syndrome'd into sympathizing with your abusers and just trying to not rock the boat instead of making actual progress.

2 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

I'm trying to understand. So being silent and saying nothing is better? There was certainly no progress being made by other means. So people that already were homophobic are now even more homophobic because people pointed out their homophobia? And that is the fault of the people doing the protest and not the actual homophobes that would shut a shop down over a rainbow flag?

It sounds like you've been Stockholm syndrome'd into sympathizing with your abusers and just trying to not rock the boat instead of making actual progress.

My main question is how and when did FOOTBALL of all sports become gay-friendly? Have we even ironed out homophobia back home to go to another country and lecture them on being morally inferior? I’m English, and up until the World Cup this year I genuinely would not be able to give you examples of footballers being unapologetically outspoken on gay rights :deadbanana4: the most we get it a rainbow flag avatar during pride month on social media (that’s not even done by the footballers, it’s done by organisations trying to chime in). This entire situation is messy and nuanced, I think if any of these countries truly cared about human rights they would’ve not played at all and went after FIFA for being corrupt. 

Just now, BOOMBAYAH said:

My main question is how and when did FOOTBALL of all sports become gay-friendly? Have we even ironed out homophobia back home to go to another country and lecture them on being morally inferior? I’m English, and up until the World Cup this year I genuinely would not be able to give you examples of footballers being unapologetically outspoken on gay rights :deadbanana4: the most we get it a rainbow flag avatar during pride month on social media (that’s not even done by the footballers, it’s done by organisations trying to chime in). This entire situation is messy and nuanced, I think if any of these countries truly cared about human rights they would’ve not played at all and went after FIFA for being corrupt. 

I am pleasantly surprised these soccer players even care enough to comment, I know their culture is super macho and homophobic so showing some solidarity is a good thing when they could get paid and do nothing.

I don't think homophobia is solved in the west, especially not in the US with the don't say gay law and the homophobic attacks. But the difference is homosexuality is actually illegal in Qatar. Like a huge chunk of people literally cannot freely be themselves. Can you imagine if homosexuality was suddenly outlawed in Europe or the US? There would be massive protests like when they overturned Roe vs. Wade. I think it's everyone's duty to show solidarity to our LGBTQ+ brothers and sisters, even if it makes the homophobes upset. Well, especially then.

And just like that, queer people in Qatar and all of MENA have rights :laugh:

Now they lost and the homophobic trolling is even worse. Another day, another case of performative activism that does NOTHING but make it worse for queer people there just like that journalist with the hat. Thank you.

Of course it won't start a revolution but do understand that it's a lot for football stars or people who are not concerned to be vocal sadly. 

In France, they flat out refused! They were bring pressured to wear something about gay rights or to make a gesture and they refused, at least Lloris did. And tbh I don't blame either side : those who want to show support in any way and those who think it won't change much and them going there to do their job has nothing to do with supporting the country's laws. 

Edited by BnPac

2 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

I am pleasantly surprised these soccer players even care enough to comment, I know their culture is super macho and homophobic so showing some solidarity is a good thing when they could get paid and do nothing.

I don't think homophobia is solved in the west, especially not in the US with the don't say gay law and the homophobic attacks. But the difference is homosexuality is actually illegal in Qatar. Like a huge chunk of people literally cannot freely be themselves. Can you imagine if homosexuality was suddenly outlawed in Europe or the US? There would be massive protests like when they overturned Roe vs. Wade. I think it's everyone's duty to show solidarity to our LGBTQ+ brothers and sisters, even if it makes the homophobes upset. Well, especially then.

The reason Germany did that covered-mouth symbol was basically a cop-out because they initially said they would be fine with facing any consequence for wearing the OneLove armband, but the moment they where threatened with yellow cards they pulled out. That wasn’t them being brave it was them being caught out for being performative and caring about winning a trophy more than the gay rights they claim to back so much. All of these footballers holiday in Dubai, all of these footballers are endorsed by GULF countries, all of these footballers purposefully don’t speak on gay rights at home (whether it be because they’re secretly homophobic, or as you said not willing to upset their macho audience). They don’t care, and the conglomerates and enterprises that hire them most certainly don’t either. Has anyone from the USA football team spoken about the queer folk that were murdered last week? Do the European players speak on the injustices we have going on here and how gay footballers behind the scenes are terrified to come out? No. We’re being used as a sign of European-American superiority. 

I think the issue of gay rights in MENA/GULF is something that needs to be remedied, but I truly don’t think football is the vehicle to do that right now. I think the real problem that should be fixed right now is the corruption in FIFA that allowed Qatar to bribe themselves into a World Cup and kill thousands of people doing so, which lead to this discourse to begin with. As I said, the situation is messy and I’m certainly no expert, this is just my take on it. I do hope these footballers prove me wrong and start being vocal about gay rights when they go back home, but again I truly doubt they will.

47 minutes ago, Bloodflowers. said:

Ok thanks babe for explaning your point of view and you made a lot of points. We need to have a discussion and not force our views on them...

...BUT I think that the differences between western and arab cultures are just too big for any meaningful compromise to arise. It will always end up in either side being completely alienated by the other side and  each side trying to force their views on the other.

This is why the biggest mistake here is that the WC was held in Qatar in the frist place. 

10 minutes ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

The reason Germany did that covered-mouth symbol was basically a cop-out because they initially said they would be fine with facing any consequence for wearing the OneLove armband, but the moment they where threatened with yellow cards they pulled out. That wasn’t them being brave it was them being caught out for being performative and caring about winning a trophy more than the gay rights they claim to back so much. All of these footballers holiday in Dubai, all of these footballers are endorsed by GULF countries, all of these footballers purposefully don’t speak on gay rights at home (whether it be because they’re secretly homophobic, or as you said not willing to upset their macho audience). They don’t care, and the conglomerates and enterprises that hire them most certainly don’t either. Has anyone from the USA football team spoken about the queer folk that were murdered last week? Do the European players speak on the injustices we have going on here and how gay footballers behind the scenes are terrified to come out? No. We’re being used as a sign of European-American superiority. 

I think the issue of gay rights in MENA/GULF is something that needs to be remedied, but I truly don’t think football is the vehicle to do that right now. I think the real problem that should be fixed right now is the corruption in FIFA that allowed Qatar to bribe themselves into a World Cup and kill thousands of people doing so, which lead to this discourse to begin with. As I said, the situation is messy and I’m certainly no expert, this is just my take on it. I do hope these footballers prove me wrong and start being vocal about gay rights when they go back home, but again I truly doubt they will.

Yeah, I hear your argument about hypocrisy especially if they really are sponsored by Gulf companies (I don't really follow the sport :rip: ) and I agree the corruption of the people that awarded Qatar the World Cup and led to the deaths of thousands should also be part of the conversation. 

45 minutes ago, Bloodflowers. said:

Thank you for getting it sis :dies: 

It is indeed a tough battle and change only comes from within. You do not go into a foreign country that already sees you as a colonizer coming to impose your "agenda" and force them to become gay friendly. Honestly leave us the **** alone if you're just gonna bring your rainbow flags/shirts/hats/wristbands thinking you're gonna end homophobia and grant us freedom and rights. Especially not during an event like the World Cup. It does absolutely nothing and only leads to more crackdown and attacks on the already struggling local queer people while the western "activists" go back to their countries where it's legal and safe to be themselves. Of course not all of it is performative, but still.

If these people geniuenly cared about women and queer rights there like they pretend on social media, they'd maybe try to support local organizations/creators/artists and donate to help them fight homelessness, HIV, suicide and mental health problems, etc...instead of crying online about not being allowed to wear a ******* rainbow for likes, RTs and some clout.

I really hope everyone on this site accusing us (as in queer people from MENA) of being Stockholm Syndrome'd and "defending homophobes and muslims who want you dead!!!!!" reads this article below. It is so exhausting logging on here, Twitter, etc and seeing the same bullshit everyday. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.