TikTok officially starts accessing user data from China

Bosque

Basically meaning that any data generated by TikTok (including your precise location data) can be shared with TikTok's staff in China, and any government agencies they work with. 

Personally I wouldn't have this app on my phone.

TikTok is spelling out to its European users that their data can be accessed by employees outside the continent, including in China, amid political and regulatory concerns about Chinese access to user information on the platform.

The Chinese-owned social video app is updating its privacy policy to confirm that staff in countries, including China, are allowed to access user data to ensure their experience of the platform is “consistent, enjoyable and safe”.

The other countries where European user data could be accessed by TikTok staff include Brazil, Canada and Israel as well as the US and Singapore, where European user data is stored currently.

[...]

In the privacy policy update, TikTok's European Head of Privacy said TikTok did not collect “precise location information” from users in Europe, whether based on GPS technology or otherwise. In its current iteration the privacy policy states: “With your permission, we may also collect precise location information (such as GPS).”

Edited by Dephira

Donald Trump left office January 20, 2021. The following June, new president Joe Biden signed an executive order revoking the Trump administration ban on TikTok

oop! Thank you, Biden! 

3 minutes ago, James_Dean said:

Tiktok is truly the pits

China using TikTok as a Trojan horse? Groundbreaking

Honestly, most of the stuff they be collecting, is what other apps are collecting

(and a lot of them are sharing/selling the data to lots of companies and prolly even countries (like how Mark Zuck got sued for it))

im more worried if they are tracking information Outside the app

Pretends to be shocked… but I don’t think this is legal in the EU.  If it’s not explicitly stated in law, it will be soon if this news article is accurate.

2 hours ago, Rev8 said:

Honestly, most of the stuff they be collecting, is what other apps are collecting

(and a lot of them are sharing/selling the data to lots of companies and prolly even countries (like how Mark Zuck got sued for it))

im more worried if they are tracking information Outside the app

Other apps like uber eats for example could give other people information based on what you like to order on Sunday nights and thats it. 

Tiktok data is much more dangerous since its basically an open door to the user's subconscious behaviour, and on a grand scale, a book on how to manipulate entire societies. The AI algorithm of tiktok is used to hook people but also to extract data. 

you mean like google and all the other american companies already do? idk why is such a big deal if chinese company does it too

Edited by Sugden

5 hours ago, Gavin. said:

Imma be honest

i don’t care 

:rip:

honestly i do not care

i'm a nobody, what could they possibly do with my info anyway :rip:

it's not like some chinese tiktoker is going to come to my country and kill me, they can know my location

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.