Quentin Tarantino defends the use of the N-word in his movies

Technicolor

Tarantino

Quentin Tarantino has the following message for anyone upset with the graphic violence and frequent use of the N-word in his movies: “See something else.” The director had no apologies or regrets when recently asked by Chris Wallace about the backlash he often gets from viewers. Tarantino was a guest on Wallace’s HBO Max talk series “Who’s Talking to Chris Wallace” and said that people who don’t like the content in his movies just shouldn’t see them, period.

“You talk about being the conductor and the audience being the orchestra,” Wallace told Tarantino. “So when people say, ‘Well there’s too much violence in his movies. He uses the N-word too often.’ You say what?”

“You should see [something else],” Tarantino answered. “Then see something else. If you have a problem with my movies then they aren’t the movies to go see. Apparently I’m not making them for you.”

Tarantino’s use of the N-word in his screenplays has long been defended by his frequent collaborator Samuel L. Jackson, who has appeared in almost every Tarantino feature film to date. Tarantino’s critics often cite “Django Unchained” as a problem since it features the racial slur nearly 110 times.

Full article here

You have to see something or experience it in some form first to form criticism about it so I don’t know what not watching would accomplish at this point. :redface:

23 minutes ago, Century said:

You have to see something or experience it in some form first to form criticism about it so I don’t know what not watching would accomplish at this point. :redface:

If you criticise Tarantino for the use of n-word or violence, you probably already watched some of his work, therefore experienced it tho…

18 minutes ago, WhoWho said:

If you criticise Tarantino for the use of n-word or violence, you probably already watched some of his work, therefore experienced it tho…

Thats exactly what I was trying to say though.

Its giving a musician telling critics they shouldn’t have listened in the first place. :thing:

I have a theory that he does all this just to hold some personal record for "most swear words in movies" or whatever... :emofish: This movie was probably an excuse so he could use that word freely and contextually.

I mean in what context was it used.  I could see for a movie that’s historical like 12 years a slave but if it was used in pulp fiction or kill bill like for what reason?  ehhh 

Edited by FreeXone

6 minutes ago, FreeXone said:

I mean in what context was it used.  I could see for a movie that’s historical like 12 years a slave but if it was used in pulp fiction or kill bill like for what reason?  ehhh 

This. Who said the n word? The main protagonist? Negative characters? The context is crucial in movies.

RockStarShit101
50 minutes ago, Totami Legend said:

This. Who said the n word? The main protagonist? Negative characters? The context is crucial in movies.

I agree

I noticed this when I watched Pulp Fiction recently. Of course he can be insensitive towards black people and get away with it. 

MadonnasBoyfriend

These interviewers have been trying really hard to go viral lately with these baity controversial questions. I see right through them

I mean... these are fictional characters. They're not real people. Some characters are meant to be problematic, evil etc. What's the point of a story where all characters are morally good? :huh:

I mean it’s pretty on brand for him at this point. A Tarantino feature is far from a saccharine affair. 

6 hours ago, FreeXone said:

6 hours ago, Totami Legend said:

1 hour ago, truthteller said:

are we talking about Django Unchained or what :rip: 

My mind instantly went to RESERVOIR DOGS. A solid film, but there was def. no need for the usage of the n-word (with a hard R, no less) in that movie and even within the context it was used. 

As a director he has to tell the actors exactly how he wants them to say the n word so theres probably tons of footage of him saying it

Yeah I just think that he could probably achieve the same effect without the slurs and get his points across in his films without all the extra, but that’s just me 

8 hours ago, Totami Legend said:

I mean he gave himself a cameo in Pulp Fiction just to say the hard r multiple times in under 2 minutes:

55 minutes ago, Pepo said:

He looks like he has a certain fetish for this word, but whatever. 

Def looks like he is into race play 

18 hours ago, Legendary said:

I mean he gave himself a cameo in Pulp Fiction just to say the hard r multiple times in under 2 minutes:

:hoetenks: i never seen this movie but yikes

23 hours ago, Venice B said:

I mean... these are fictional characters. They're not real people. Some characters are meant to be problematic, evil etc. What's the point of a story where all characters are morally good? :huh:

yup just like lord freeza being a racist in dragon ball, he is a negative character and represents a bad behavior:

the problem is when "positive" / main characters do it, it's tricky. Tarantino tho :deadbanana4:

He's hard to look at.

Also what? All art is subject to objection and critique, why would someone just "watch something else" when the point of viewing is to see what works and what doesn't for the viewer? Lmao. What a thin-skinned moron, you aren't above people having a problem with what you WILLINGLY put out into the world.

What an out of touch nitwit.

He definitely seems very eager to use the word himself, but he made some points about how people should just stop consuming certain media that’s not for them, and especially stop posting thinkpieces on social media for attention. Fictional characters are allowed to say and do offensive things. I mean if someone watched Django and genuinely thought it had a racist message idk what to tell that person :redface:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.