Avatar 2 needs to make 2 billion to break even at the box office

DONTYELLATME

How expensive is “Avatar: The Way of Water”? Early reports have claimed the production budget alone was in the $250 million range, but director James Cameron isn’t willing to give a hard number just yet. The only answer Cameron would give about the sequel’s budget when asked by GQ magazine was the following: “Very ******* [expensive].”

Cameron apparently told Disney and 20th Century Studios executives that his sequel budget was so high it represented “the worst business case in movie history.” According to the director’s estimates, “you have to be the third or fourth highest-grossing film in history. That’s your threshold. That’s your break even.” 

Edited by DONTYELLATME

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NEUTRON

• Donquizote

• Smarticle

• GraceRandolph

I think it's for all 4 sequels whose budget is $1B as a whole? Which makes more sense :rip: The Way of Water's budget is only $250M iirc

2 minutes ago, Da Vinci said:

I think it's for all 4 sequels whose budget is $1B as a whole? Which makes more sense :rip: The Way of Water's budget is only $250M iirc

I think it’s around 2 billion, plus marketing it’s about 500 million a movie 

4 minutes ago, Da Vinci said:

This. Unless the pandemic really impacted filming to a great degree, I can’t see this being true. 

3 minutes ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

How is that possible :huh:

Avatar 3 is already shot, it’s coming out no matter what. I think James Cameron said he shot a conclusive ending to 3 if avatar 2 flops just in case. If avatar 2 succeeds Disney will greenlit avatar 4 & 5

Edited by DONTYELLATME

Idk about else where but auditoriums in my city are already sold out, maybe that's a good sign? :gaycat5:

32 minutes ago, DONTYELLATME said:

I think it’s around 2 billion, plus marketing it’s about 500 million a movie 

Marketing is closer to 100 million per movie 

Is anyone actually excited for these films?

The first one aged like milk and I only remember it being a huge event because the cgi at the time was "next level" :huh:

:bibliahh:The Internet is funny. it only needs about $500 Million before it starts to make a profit. 2B is the WW gross it will probably make in it's entire run.

tho I feel like it's gonna be a major underperformance. the first was only a phenomenon because of the technology, 3D gimmick, and word of mouth for it's visuals at the time. I remember vividly going multiple times only because I was forced to by my parents. trust me nobody cared about the plot a year later. same with this. there is no hype, people are mainly going to see how good the visuals look. 

Whoever said that is either dumb or delusional. :bibliahh:

This is bullshit. With $250M budget it probably needs $700-800M to break even depending on the marketing budget. And there’s no way in hell marketing is half a billion :rip: More like $100-150M.

Edited by Gossip_Boy

The first one had a mediocre story :rip:

Whatever miss Cameron is bringing to the table won’t be able to replicate the technological advancements of the first. 

• Thumbs Down 1

3 hours ago, James_Dean said:

Is anyone actually excited for these films?

The first one aged like milk and I only remember it being a huge event because the cgi at the time was "next level" :huh:

and this time the CGI will also look like next level.

And in the past 10 years did any other movies reach the 1st Avatar visual experience? I can only think of Mad Max & Dune.

So people genuinely wants more Avatar, for the visual alone

This is bull****, there's no way they allowed a budget of $250 million to be increased. :toofunny2:

I can't shake the feeling this is going to be an underperformance though.

This is not true. All his marketing moves for this movie is just crying about everything and it's honestly kinda annoying.

He even complained about "They don't wanna a 3h and 10 minutes movie". Man titanic was 3 hours longer when every blockbuster was 110 minutes longer, today every blockbuster is 2h e 50 longer and you say someone said to James Cameron you should make a shorter movie. Please. 

Edited by vale9001

The first one smashed because the CGI and use of 3D was amazing. But all of that is old news nowadays. He took way too long for the sequel. 

Highly doubt the budget for one movie is that high. Maybe for all of them. 

I just read the article... WTF

Edited by NEUTRON

3 hours ago, Jude said:

Whoever said that is either dumb or delusional. :bibliahh:

James Cameron said it, read the article :rip:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.