Qatar denies CBS journalist from entering stadium with rainbow shirt

anti-bitch

10 minutes ago, Kassi said:

We can sure as heck make noise about it. :cm:

As a gay black person in the US, imagine if my predecessors had been content to live with “the rules”. Not only would I not be allowed to come out, but I'd probably still be in chains.

Heck, I live in Texas, where a gay guy caught having sex was arrested and appealed it all the way up to the Supreme Court, resulting in anti-sodomy laws being struck down nationwide in 2003 (not even 20 years ago!). Imagine if he had just followed “the rules”.

I promise it's GOOD to stand up against BAD things. MLK said “injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere” and, to him, the purpose of direct nonviolent action (like what this journalist did) was to cause tension so that people have to confront an issue. :bird:

Very well said :clap3:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kassi

• Patient Zero

• anti-bitch

• LittleMonster2012

Sad to see so many self hating people in this thread who can’t see why this is wrong

**** Qatar and **** FIFA. If you’re offended kiss my perfectly toned, hairy gay ass!

So defending Qatar's homophobic rules is the hill some of yall are willing to be banned on :deadbanana2:

Worms for brains :dies:

22 minutes ago, Kassi said:

As a gay black person in the US, imagine if my predecessors had been content to live with “the rules”. Not only would I not be allowed to come out, but I'd probably still be in chains.

Heck, I live in Texas, where a gay guy caught having sex was arrested and appealed it all the way up to the Supreme Court, resulting in anti-sodomy laws being struck down nationwide in 2003 (not even 20 years ago!). Imagine if he had just followed “the rules”.

I promise it's GOOD to stand up against BAD things. MLK said “injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere” and, to him, the purpose of direct nonviolent action (like what this journalist did) was to cause tension so that people have to confront an issue. :bird:

I like that MLK quote and I definitely agree with it. But if you want to tackle this issue, look no further than your own country where lots of gays are still being gunned to death for being gay. Start trying to fix that before you want to cross borders.

10 minutes ago, Protocol said:

Sad to see so many self hating people in this thread who can’t see why this is wrong

**** Qatar and **** FIFA. If you’re offended kiss my perfectly toned, hairy gay ass!

I'm definitely offended right now :loki:

37 minutes ago, Patient Zero said:

THis is what bothers me as well. Qatar has its shitty rules, but we can't do anything about them. As long as you're there as a person you have to follow the rules, because it's YOUR choice being there.

But these companies could've also chosen not to go there and boycott it. But in the end money is more important than human rights.

Precisely. Qatar is a hellhole and everyone knows this. It will take decades if not hundreds of years for any meaningful progress to be made there.

So the ones more at fault here are FIFA for being corrupt immoral trash and everyone who went to Qatar for the WC or is watching the WC at home :cm:

Boycott the World Cup!

2 hours ago, C-Amber said:

He's literally asking to be banned by wearing the shirt, he know the rules of a country HE'S VISITING, then respect the rules, simple as that.

Also, the **** is ugly asf and deserves to be banned worldwide. 

If we apply this « but it’s a muslim country, accept the rules ?!?!? » mindset, why would western societies accept hijabis and muslim customs ? 

Nobody should be discriminated against expressing themselves, but a belief should not be respected if it hurts millions of human-beings, and Islam (alongside monotheist religions) does. 

24 minutes ago, katara said:

Precisely. Qatar is a hellhole and everyone knows this. It will take decades if not hundreds of years for any meaningful progress to be made there.

So the ones more at fault here are FIFA for being corrupt immoral trash and everyone who went to Qatar for the WC or is watching the WC at home :cm:

Boycott the World Cup!

This exactly. The big companies sponsoring the WC and the people going there is what's real concerning. They know Qatar is this hellhole. A place ruled by barbaric laws... laws we just can't change. But they still decide to go there.  It makes me sick.

We're complaining about homophobia in Qatar, but homophobia isn't Qatar exclusive. It's rampant in our own environment . If we can't fix homophobia in our own neighbourhood, how we'll be able to fix it in Qatar? With what kind of "noise"?:skull:

"bu bu bu but Qatar kills gays!!!"

So do your own people in your own country.

Edited by Patient Zero

I mean that shirt is a crime to fashion, rainbow fashion never looks good unless Jimbo is doing it. But alas, if you already know that anything LGBT+is frowned upon in the country, why would you wear that shirt to one of the most hypermasculine events unless to cause a reaction.

37 minutes ago, Patient Zero said:

I like that MLK quote and I definitely agree with it. But if you want to tackle this issue, look no further than your own country where lots of gays are still being gunned to death for being gay. Start trying to fix that before you want to cross borders.

We HAVE, for example:

Shot - 2015

Chaser - 2022

And we will CONTINUE to tear down the veil of ignorance which blinds these major religious (and conservative) institutions to the dignity and worth of gay people. That includes in places both here and abroad. No country is exempt. Qatar can catch this fade too! :cm:

Like, imagine if the US sat out the boycott of South Africa in the mid-1980s during apartheid because racism still existed in the US. That’s what you’re asking people to do with that flippant statement: Start trying to fix that before you want to cross borders.

Do better!

The thing that annoys me is that these privileged white ******* are not helping anyone and especially not the queer people in Qatar. Eat your cookie and enjoy your clout now, clown.

19 minutes ago, Kassi said:

We HAVE, for example:

Shot - 2015

Chaser - 2022

And we will CONTINUE to tear down the veil of ignorance which blinds these major religious (and conservative) institutions to the dignity and worth of gay people. That includes in places both here and abroad. No country is exempt. Qatar can catch this fade too! :cm:

Like, imagine if the US sat out the boycott of South Africa in the mid-1980s during apartheid because racism still existed in the US. That’s what you’re asking people to do with that flippant statement: Start trying to fix that before you want to cross borders.

Do better!

The Colorado Spring shooter is a mormon...

https://www.rawstory.com/colorado-springs-shooting-morman-church/

What's that last sentence you posted again?

Edited by Patient Zero

2 hours ago, Patient Zero said:

The Colorado Spring shooter is a mormon...

https://www.rawstory.com/colorado-springs-shooting-morman-church/

What's that last sentence you posted again?

Those actions are driven by that individual shooter’s prejudice. There’s no force of law behind not liking someone for any one superficial trait. Homophobes, racists, and incels exists. This we know. Better to have kept the hate to himself, but, unfortunately, he chose to act on his bias. :cm: 

Difference is, in the US, that shooter will be prosecuted for acting on his prejudice against gays.

In Qatar, it’s the gays that will be prosecuted for acting on their sexuality.

Is anyone shocked? I was pleasantly surprised today when they showed the USA section and the player numbers were in rainbow gradients. Allegedly the goalie for Byron Munich said he’ll pay the fine for wearing a One Love arm band and I’m here for it. 

Edited by loveisdead9582

5 hours ago, Oxy said:

Second, how isn’t this a western ideology? When an absolute monarchy of a Islamic religion can adapt such a cause when it’s population composed of 97% Muslims add to it the huge margin of muslim expats as well as of Catholics and orthodox. 

Because 1) LGBT acceptance and 2) irreligiousness are not singularly products of the West. :skull:

Nepali secularism, for example, is just as much a culture of the Global South as Qatari Islamism. 

It'd be one thing to criticize the journalist for displaying a Western-centric idea of *individualism* because his action centers himself and doesn't actually do anything materially to help LGBT people in Qatar in the way refusing to go would have, but it's disingenuous to use the ineffective ways Western liberalism tries to combat conservative cultures of the Global South to deny the abundance of progressive, leftist cultures and traditions within the Global South.

Edited by Communion

3 hours ago, Kassi said:

This is a good point! Sometimes we gotta fight the system. Like the women of Iran are fighting theirs rn. But it would require the Qatari people to do something about it.

1 hour ago, Kassi said:

Those actions are driven by that individual shooter’s prejudice. There’s no force of law behind not liking someone for any one superficial trait. Homophobes, racists, and incels exists. This we know. Better to have kept the hate to himself, but, unfortunately, he chose to act on his bias. :cm: 

Difference is, in the US, that shooter will be prosecuted for acting on his prejudice against gays.

In Qatar, it’s the gays that will be prosecuted.

And also this. People need to learn to see the forest from the trees.

3 hours ago, OmegaRidley said:

If we apply this « but it’s a muslim country, accept the rules ?!?!? » mindset, why would western societies accept hijabis and muslim customs ? 

Nobody should be discriminated against expressing themselves, but a belief should not be respected if it hurts millions of human-beings, and Islam (alongside monotheist religions) does. 

As far as I know majority of western countries (if not all) doesn't have official religion that decide the rules, so everyone have the freedom to do what they want based on religion or not as long as it's legal, not the same in Qatar, they have official religion which is Islam, and the rules goes by how Islam says, and those rules been there since forever, so no this is absolutely not the same. The moment a western country have an official religion with rules saying women can't wear hijap then we have something to talk about.

12 hours ago, State of Grace. said:

The thing that annoys me is that these privileged white ******* are not helping anyone and especially not the queer people in Qatar. Eat your cookie and enjoy your clout now, clown.

Lowkey, same. I get the vibe that they only 'care' now because it's a chance to appear morally superior. Otherwise, brown f*ags who? I'm tired

Like I said already in the other thread this was utter trash and disgusting.

I could even understand (but absolutely still wrong) if the guy was wearing a t-shirt with the print of two naked men kissing, but over a harmeless rainbow? Seriously?

41 minutes ago, Terrielle said:

Lowkey, same. I get the vibe that they only 'care' now because it's a chance to appear morally superior. Otherwise, brown f*ags who? I'm tired

Right. And in most (all?) cases it only leads to a crackdown and more attacks on the queer people from that country not the Western visiting allies.

On 11/22/2022 at 2:48 AM, C-Amber said:

As far as I know majority of western countries (if not all) doesn't have official religion that decide the rules, so everyone have the freedom to do what they want based on religion or not as long as it's legal, not the same in Qatar, they have official religion which is Islam, and the rules goes by how Islam says, and those rules been there since forever, so no this is absolutely not the same. The moment a western country have an official religion with rules saying women can't wear hijap then we have something to talk about.

What about France then ? where ostentatious religious items are prohibited yet muslims scream racism and discrimination every single day ? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.