Arbitrary Song Contest s1 : WINNER: PSYCHO!!!

minho

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• minho

• Julia Fox

• thecptz

• Seffers

Round 6: 

These Words Are My Own...

Remember to listen to, comment on, and rank all entries besides your own!

Rank them from #1-17 (#1 being best and #17 being worst)

The scoring system will remain from last round, only this time your bottom 3 will get 0 points.

Alsoooo I feel like we've been stagnating on page movement/ratings. I'm not super specific on getting ratings but it would be a bit more fun to have more discussion so please feel free to comment on things outside of your entry comments! Like, share songs you were thinking of sending or artists you contemplated. :kitty:

DISCLAIMER: 

All entries were approved by me. In cases where there was confusing information I asked for an official source proving the amount of songwriters was 2 or fewer. If the song is listed below or on the playlist that means it has passed my check based on that criteria and should NOT BE TANKED OR DISCREDITED.

There ain't no game like a minho game because in a minho game fun is mandatory 91fhQiS.png

St. Vincent - Masseduction

Ellie Goulding - Something In The Way You Move

Rochelle Jordan - Situation

Mitski - Your Best American Girl

Billie Eilish - i love you

Weyes Blood - God Turn Me Into a Flower

Halsey - You Should Be Sad

Caroline Polachek - Bunny is a Rider

Tove Lo - True Disaster

Youha - Flower Rain

Megan Thee Stallion - Big Ole Freak

Laufey - Let You Break My Heart Again

That Kid - Thelma & Louise

Lexie Liu - i wanna tell u

Grimes - Flesh Without Blood

Billie Eilish - bury a friend

Kilo Kish - Nice Out

Zella Day - Radio Silence

SPOTIFY PLAYLIST

Send ranks via PM or Discord (minho#6075)

DEADLINE: Dec 14th, 10pm EST

:kitty:

BOTTOM TWO WILL BE ELIMINATED YET AGAIN

Comeback round WILL be coming

@Tom Vercetti @wish @Not Like The Movies @Rotunda

@Julia Fox @Staryu@Future Lover  @Technicolor @Element

@Touch It @diogozsz @Psycho @Seffers

@ATRL Username @Post Malone @Sanguine @K$Ellie @Alena 

dont know a lot of these

feeling better now tbh

Alena

3 minutes ago, minho said:

Tove Lo - True Disaster

Youha - Flower Rain

my winners!

Some possible SLAYS I was thinking of with this round:

Japanese Breakfast - Posing in Bondage

Willow - hover like a GODDESS

ELIO - Jackie Onassis

Charli XCX - I finally understand

But I'm really loving these unexpected entries (well sort of unexpected) - hope we have more unique songs!!

gcLkmMx.png

This is fine, kinda bops, but honestly I prefer the erotic robot lesbians performance she did of this song with Dua at the Grammys :cries:

Yas pander to me, love this bop :jonny:

This kinda sounds like it samples the Legend of Zelda snes game at one point, so I love it

I like when she starts to rock out, but she sounds kind of bored on the whole song

Very pretty, kinda makes me sleepy

Very pretty, kinda makes me sleepy [2] I like the added bird sounds 

Country Halsey is addictive to me, need a whole album of this :jamming:

Bunny is a rider and a bop too. 

Tove Lo - True Disaster
I like it, it's fine, it kinda just stays at the same level the entire song, it's fine, did I mention it's fine?

Youha - Flower Rain
A very lovely song, love the chorus, it actually made my top 100 favorite songs of 2022 :heart2:

BIG OLE FREAK, a banger :jamming:

This song kind of makes me think of Judy Garland, it feels sad and the orchestra makes it feel from another time

Bop banger bopper, also on my fave songs of 2022 list :-*

I've been wanting to check her out and this is very lovely, I like it a lot :heart2:

It's cute :heart2:

A dark bop, edgy queen :jamming: top 3 from that album

Kilo Kish - Nice Out
I didn't know Kilo had music outside American Gurl, I liked this :jamming:

This was fine, idk what else to say about it, the repeated radio radio radio and scream at the end was something

St. Vincent - Masseduction: Big bop although nowhere near one of my favorite songs by her, still good

Ellie Goulding - Something In The Way You Move: Verses >> chorus, fun bop!

Rochelle Jordan - Situation: I feel like she's one of those artists where y'all will just send any song by her and think you're safe sjhdgf it's good though so... you win in that regard

Mitski - Your Best American Girl: The noisy parts are great albeit a little too slow, good song overall

Billie Eilish - i love you: Snooze-off between the two Billie songs

Weyes Blood - God Turn Me Into a Flower: GORGEOUS

Halsey - You Should Be Sad: Smash!

Caroline Polachek - Bunny is a Rider: BEST SONG EVERKJHGDHJKJBVCXVB

Tove Lo - True Disaster: A choice, never been my favorite from the album and the album aged in general for me years ago

Youha - Flower Rain: YES such a fun anthemic song!!

Megan Thee Stallion - Big Ole Freak: Fun enough :jamming:

Laufey - Let You Break My Heart Again: Okay some of the Gaymers do a little much acting like god birthed her himself but it is a lovely song!

That Kid - Thelma & Louis: They ate tf down WHEWWWW

Lexie Liu - i wanna tell u: Soo lovely, it has a nostalgic sense to it, and I hope Magician is eligible for future rounds :-*

Grimes - Flesh Without Blood: BEST SONG EVERKJHGDHJKJBVCXVB [2]

Billie Eilish - bury a friend: Snooze-off between the two Billie songs [2]

Kilo Kish - Nice Out: Very fun bop from her, her music is such a great and fresh take on Electropop

Zella Day - Radio Silence: It's nice, the wailing is a little much but I actually really like that aspect

Edited by Sanguine

wishtie's critiques ✮✬

used to be obsessed with miss Annie Clark :jonny: love this song, it’s equal parts quirky and sexy which makes for a fun musical combination

this is just mid i’m sorry, i don’t like much of Ellie’s post-Halcyon output. it’s very predictable sounding and therefore doesn’t make me feel anything

definitely not the best song off this album but still a pretty cute choice. hmmm i’m just kinda stumped @ why you would send this of all Rochelle songs

one of my favorite songs of all time. it just progresses beautifully and has a lot of raw emotion. what a chorus :cries:

one of my favorite songs of all time [2] it makes me feel so cozy and sentimental. feels like a big warm hug when you really need it :alexz3:

this is goooorgeous, the second half really took me to another world :heart2:

something about this never clicked with me. it might just be her voice which can be hit-or-miss for me :dancehall: also just not the biggest country fan

Caroline is by far one of my favorite indie girls right now BUT i always thought this was just a tad overrated. it’s a bit annoying and repetitive? not sure why the gays always jump for this one :mandown: she has better songs yall!

Tove Lo - True Disaster

omg forgot this existed nnn anyway it’s just cute, i liked it a lot in 2017 but it’s definitely aged a bit for me

Youha - Flower Rain

gorgeous pop collapse :heart2: i really enjoy what Youha is bringing to the table in the kpop realm

okay yesssss i’m gagged @ this being nearly self-written :jonny: one of my favorite Megan singles to this day. this was actually the song that introduced me to her, and it still slaps!

i remember being pleasantly surprised by this entry in VL! it’s so so pretty, a classic kinda moment

PLSSSS i haven’t checked in with That Kid in a couple years but it’s good to see they’re still releasing hyperpop collapses :katie2: a fun bop, and i see Ayesha’s impact is still present. “driving drunk but i’m also off 2 tabs” erm :deadbanana4:

what is this gorgeous self-written smash?? my favorite new entry, i will be diving into Lexie's discography after this! only gripe is that it’s a bit too long

one of my favorite songs of all time [3], just immaculate in every way. i really really love this quirky electro pop-rock masterpiece  :heart2:

yassss one of my favorite Billie non-ballads, this was SUCH a moment and it still hits today :clap3: will always admire Billie’s ability to experiment with alternative/left-field sounds while still remaining a massive pop force

Kilo Kish - Nice Out

ouuu mega bop!! i adore this creepy 80s synth vibe, i was obsessed with this in 2019-2020. kilo is way too underrated

this is pretty, dont get me wrong, but it’s kinda going in one ear and coming out the other. not a standout in this list :katie:

Posty's Endings Episode 2 :lakitu:

v1DkhK1.jpg

idk her music but I do know she's an alt pop Jack Antonoff'd girlie so I was expecting a cute good Lover'd bop. it started off promising with the verse, but then everything took a nosedive that repetitive and bland af chrous. the song is overall very basic production wise like they didn't attempt to do anything special with this so its just there for me

this is actually a very good catch :chick2: i didn't expect to see a MPG pop single eligible for this singer songwriter'd strict round :oh: anyways this song been a smash so period

the cover art is a jumpscare. lets start with that. also i have PTSD from the mid song by her that was previously submitted (and i think got its sender eliminated? adkjsdh), so i went in with low expectations. and yeah, sorry i don't really enjoy this in particular, the beat is very repetitive and the vocals are inaudible at times, its kinda giving gym background music teas and thats it but you do you sis!

noise pop... done right? i live. i liked the contrast between the calm verses and chaotic chorus, and the melodies were overall pleasant and listenable so it was cute

Ok wish

i know she's like mega acclaimed by alt girlies around atrl but i never actually heard any of her music before :-* but girl when this song started playing i was like OUUU WHAT IS THAT VOICE? its so THIQUE and lush and reminds me of Marina (back when her music was listenable oop). so anyway about the song, it's so beautiful, it's like a pleasant flow of ambient sounds and melodies that it feels like you're drifting into sleep :chick2: im probably not gonna use it regularly tbh due to its non-song nature, but it was an enjoyable experience!

when i saw halsey got banned i was thinking ouuu, someone's sending a smash from the badlands era, but gurl when i realized it's this... it's kinda just there for me, i used it briefly when it came out in like january 2020 teas and thats it, nowadays it's giving something you would hear in an H&M fitting room in between Dua Lipa and Ava Max's discographies

this song always been mid asf, it's so repetitive and none of the melodies engage the ear and no element of the production moves me at all, sometimes im wondering is it collective trolling @ the acclaim for this random mid song? :rip: anyway

Tove Lo - True Disaster

another great catch, amazing banger, pop smasha, etc, perhaps my fave from pop bible lady wood :heart2:

Youha - Flower Rain

banger a bit

it's cute and fun, its okay, but the vocal production is so ass it's a major issue for me with all her music. i feel like her engineers just throw her vocals on a beat and call it a day, no effects to emphasize on certain parts in bars, no doubles, no volume changes, literally nothing to catch your ear or make you want to listen to what she has to say on the song. like i have to make a deliberate effort to pay attention to what she's saying :deadbanana4:

wait this is really good? sounds straight out of '30' omg, her vocal is so full and warm it's complimented so well by the classical arrangement :gaygacat5: its right down my alley & i will be using this sistern!

SDHIJSDH the transition between the previous song and #this. anyway what was this noise supposed to be? are you fr??:skull::skull: im giving ajayii's reaction to accelerate @ this, "is this a serious song or are they just trolling? theyre just trolling right?"

very soft and chill, i like it

ouu very interesting, i enjoyed it, its giving an indie take on that Take On Me'd drum pattern everyones been spamming post-blinding lights

Ok wish [2]

Kilo Kish - Nice Out

this was nice, a bit boring though, some punch was needed

loveddd this omg, the storytelling with quirky details everywhere, the production is superb, the vocals on the choruses getting more intense every time (unlike #that caroline song where the same autotune mumble Audacity project file export vocal is slapped over all the choruses unchanged ew). this is one of the best songs of the round period!!!!!!

Edited by Post Malone

JULIA's FACTS

spacer.png

I love how Annie Clark did so much fun, catchy and interesting songs on this immaculate record. She really is a genius! Btw this is one of the tracks that tired me the most. I mean it starts so good but then it’s just like the same and adds nothing new to the incredible table that was served at first but still a good tune 

The way she tried to have her own 1989 and failed. This song sounds like a lot of songs by that mid 2010's era and is just so basic and mid. It’s not even a good attempt at going mainstream and it’s way more shocking considering this was made by the woman that made Halcyon. Just tragic 

This is my least fave of her songs that have been sent on ATRL games section. I mean the production and her vocal delivery it’s always very interesting but this one is the first from her that I wanted to skip after the first 1:30 min. But it’s far from being the worst clearly 

I just love how she talked about how the way your parents raised you -or a culture did- can make you unmatchable with a lot of people. She’s just a genius and a ******* sad ***** and I love her for that. This is maybe my fave song by her tbh! 

snooze 

ethereal and all but I still find this album a bit too much for me. But this is another snooze from me. Maybe if you sent a Titanic Rising song I would collapse, cry and choke and give you my first place but nah. Anyway far from being the worst here 

I love when women shade famous exes on their songs and I love the twangy vibe that this has. The way it was a hit says it all. It’s a very catchy and fun song and in a perfect world it would be karaoke staple. Good job! 

Always found this song overrated like the entire Pang and Ramona Lisa are better than this monotonous song and I love Caroline. But if I have something nice to see is that this sounds way better live. Whew 

Tove Lo - True Disaster

Dated, boring, uninspired and from her worst album. The way you had like 30 better options from Miss Tove Lo alone… like Ariana what are you doing here??

Youha - Flower Rain

Mmmm… very mid. But not the worst 

YASSS *****! 

So beautiful! So sad! So heavenly! Very pretty song that was my fave discovery on VL so I’m glad someone sent this here since it deserves more exposure and appreciation 

I love hyper pop when it’s not too much and this is too much so...

Loved this! It has a very early 2000's vibe that I like so much! Gonna save this tbh! 

I have so many attached memories to this song and it’s so good and infectious! I miss this Grimes tbh 

way better than i love you but still not my fave here not even by Billie 

Kilo Kish - Nice Out

this is so fun! It makes me want to wanna go out with my friends and dance in the street being so high and drunk and ****** up while laughing because we made through a lot of **** and there’s a lot more to come. Like this has an apocalyptic vibe and I love it! 

hmmm… I never found her that interesting and this song didn’t change anything. I mean she does not offer anything new to the table. It’s just there 

Edited by Julia Fox

Quaxly Pokemon GIF - Quaxly Pokemon Water - Discover & Share GIFs

Seffers' Lashings Critiques - Round Six!

this song is so sexy and the production goes WILD! mass. seduction. mass. destruction.

MEGA ass bop. ***** im levitating - 2015 Ellie was just HITTING. yas pandering yas ellie.

this song is SO interesting.. quite unique and I love the instrumental. I loved this more than I thought I would at the beginning!

I guess it's fine.. the instrumental is SO loud compared to her vocals but.. it's not horrible so.. yeah.

I'm a sucker for sappy music so you got me there but in all honesty.. this is just fine. a tad on the boring side for me.

the way a 6 minute song took me on a whole journey.. I absolutely LOOOOOOOOVE this. beautiful. gorgeous instrumental. heavenly vocals. you really did THAT!!

I love me some Halsey, and I LOVE how the instrumental gets louder and the song gets more chaotic toward the middle and then calms by the end to really pull off that emotional string.

this is .. boring as ****. like.. what's the appeal.. I don't get it.

Tove Lo - True Disaster

the definition of a mid song. it ain't horrible but.. it is EXTREMELY one note.

Youha - Flower Rain

smash banger. her voice is so cool, and this instrumental is so groovy. really liked this one.

I will give you points for sending something different than anything (so far) in this round - and the song was good too! The instrumental is kind of eating her voice up at some points, but that's just a minor detail for me.

hi someone from VL, the song is still really soothing and I still love it since last time!

the COMPLETE 180 scared me at first fff. but.. it's a no from me.

Lexie is a complete icon, and I love whoever sent this. this song is so relaxing and cute at the same time.

it was fine, not really my vibe of music tho.

not my favorite Billie song, I find it overrated 

Kilo Kish - Nice Out

not to lump this in with several songs comments already, but this also felt very one note? needed some variation in the instrumental or something for being a 4+ minute song.

this started promising but just .. fizzled. not my favorite of the round.

Masseduction: a bop! the best Jack produced album I'm afraid.

Something in the Way You Move: this is HORRID to me, sorry.

Situation: this feels like a CPG and it's not even that good. love Rochelle but this is a no from me.

Your Best American Girl: now THAT'S something I like to hear. gorgeous chorus.

i love you: meh. it used to be good... back then. it's still cute though!

God Turn Me Into a Flower: what is this WINNER?

You should be sad: The Lighthouse was right there...

Bunny is a Rider: my first choice. :clap3: A SONG!

True Disaster: see "i love you".

Flower Rain: yes, yes, yes! love how quality k-pop keeps getting sent!

Big Ole Freak: I really want to like Megan's music because she seems like a delightful person. but no.

Let You Break My Heart Again: I've heard this name being tossed around for the last couple of weeks and I must say i'm impressed! will check more of her songs.

Thelma & Louis: is this interesting? yes. good? not really.

i wanna tell u: Lexie is SO talented and she has a solid discography. underrated artist. this song is great too.

Flesh without blood: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bury a friend: 2022.

NICE OUT: American Gurl was right there... (and I'm mad I didn't send it) but this is fine!

Radio Silence: hmm.. bland.

on a ride — YOON Poppy, 2022

St. Vincent - Masseduction: Bop from a good album

Ellie Goulding - Something In The Way You Move: epic banger

Rochelle Jordan - Situation: not one of my favs from this album but not bad

Mitski - Your Best American Girl: the noisy parts are too noisy for me and the rest is boring

Billie Eilish - i love you: boring as **** but listenable i guess

Weyes Blood - God Turn Me Into a Flower: pretty, her voice reminds me of joni mitchell and karen carpenter. still too long for me tho <3

Halsey - You Should Be Sad: classic like

Caroline Polachek - Bunny is a Rider: cute bop

Tove Lo - True Disaster: collapse of the century

Youha - Flower Rain: korean collapse of the century

Megan Thee Stallion - Big Ole Freak: bangerr

Laufey - Let You Break My Heart Again: kinda like the weyes blood song but more boring

That Kid - Thelma & Louise: no

Lexie Liu - i wanna tell u: quite pleasant :jamming:

Grimes - Flesh Without Blood: amazing

Billie Eilish - bury a friend: lowkey a bop

Kilo Kish - Nice Out: cute, sounds like the other 2 songs i heard by her which i enjoyed slightly more

Zella Day - Radio Silence: its alright

Based on the upcoming ATRL downtime, I'll have to delay/extend the deadline 

I encourage you all to save the Spotify playlist or bookmark it for future reference. Remember that you can always message me via discord (minho#6075)

short-vowels-4-FB.png

St. Vincent - Masseduction: 
a bit of a collapse and a classic many would say including me

Ellie Goulding - Something In The Way You Move: it's okay

Rochelle Jordan - Situation: very smooth and nice

Mitski - Your Best American Girl: best song of all time

Billie Eilish - i love you: pretty

Weyes Blood - God Turn Me Into a Flower: beautiful

Halsey - You Should Be Sad: nice

Caroline Polachek - Bunny is a Rider: still gives me nothing tbh

Tove Lo - True Disaster: cute

Youha - Flower Rain: one of my 2022 kpop favs

Megan Thee Stallion - Big Ole Freak: her best song yupp

Laufey - Let You Break My Heart Again: gorgeous

That Kid - Thelma & Louise: not for me at all :/

Lexie Liu - i wanna tell u: very nice

Grimes - Flesh Without Blood: one of the best songs ever

Billie Eilish - bury a friend: one of her best songs 

Kilo Kish - Nice Out: first song i heard by her and i love it

Zella Day - Radio Silence: cute cranberries bop

St. Vincent - Masseduction: this is interesting but kinda grating

Ellie Goulding - Something In The Way You Move: it's very basic but I'm bopping

Rochelle Jordan - Situation: hmmm it's not bad or anything but it's not giving me much

Mitski - Your Best American Girl: easily her best song

Billie Eilish - i love you: very very boring

Weyes Blood - God Turn Me Into a Flower: I literally aged like 10 years by listening to this. Her music is not for me

Halsey - You Should Be Sad: it's decent for her standards

Caroline Polachek - Bunny is a Rider: it's cute but she has better songs

Tove Lo - True Disaster: this aged a bit but it's still a nice song

Youha - Flower Rain: very pretty song, nice sequel to Abittipsy

Megan Thee Stallion - Big Ole Freak: BOP! still one of her best

Laufey - Let You Break My Heart Again: this reminds me to Disney soundtrack music. Not a fan

That Kid - Thelma & Louise: messy bop

Lexie Liu - i wanna tell u: very cute, I still have to listen to her new album

Grimes - Flesh Without Blood: great song, probably her best

Billie Eilish - bury a friend: better than her other song for sure

Kilo Kish - Nice Out: really like this song, this EP is still her best body of work

Zella Day - Radio Silence: not a fan of her voice, the song is whatever

6zMcuWC.png

St. Vincent - Masseduction: The album this is from aged badly but this isn't too bad. It would be a standout from it if I had to name a few. 

Ellie Goulding - Something In The Way You Move:  Songwriting wise it's a bit generic but the production gives it some grace. 

Rochelle Jordan - Situation: Cool entry. 

Mitski - Your Best American Girl: I don't like mitski anymore so this doesn't impact me as much as it would've back in 2016. 

Billie Eilish - i love you: Hit the snooze button. 

Weyes Blood - God Turn Me Into a Flower: The best part is the birdsong/progressive electronic section at around 2/3 of the song. Other than that, weyes genuinely bores me. 

Halsey - You Should Be Sad: She doesn't have the range for folk/country. 

Caroline Polachek - Bunny is a Rider: There's a couple of interesting quirks in this song but overall just there. 

Tove Lo - True Disaster: Not bad. The production kind of predicts dirt femme. 

Youha - Flower Rain: I like this. 

Megan Thee Stallion - Big Ole Freak: Fine song. 

Laufey - Let You Break My Heart Again: A little boring. Not really into this. 

That Kid - Thelma & Louise: Chase copping ayesha like this. This song's delivery isn't for me but sonically it stands out this round so it's not among the worst. 

Lexie Liu - i wanna tell u: Thought this was just okay. 

Grimes - Flesh Without Blood: Not one of my faves from art angels but it's still good. 

Billie Eilish - bury a friend: I'm a hater but this is one of her few listenable songs to me so good work there. 

Kilo Kish - Nice Out: Can vibe with this one. it's great. 

Zella Day - Radio Silence: It's giving spotify playlist core. 

FjrRixyXgAcPSgG?format=jpg&name=large

St. Vincent - Masseduction - not a fan at all.

Ellie Goulding - Something In The Way You Move - it's cute, not that into it anymore tho.

Rochelle Jordan - Situation - it's pretty cool, i enjoy her voice.

Mitski - Your Best American Girl - hated this.

Billie Eilish - i love you - so pretty, love this song <3

Weyes Blood - God Turn Me Into a Flower - this was really pretty!

Halsey - You Should Be Sad - love this song, it's so good.

Caroline Polachek - Bunny is a Rider - it's pretty fun!

Tove Lo - True Disaster - it's alright.

Youha - Flower Rain - so goood, love it.

Megan Thee Stallion - Big Ole Freak - one if not her best song!!

Laufey - Let You Break My Heart Again - yawn.

That Kid - Thelma & Louise - iconic trashy bop, love it.

Lexie Liu - i wanna tell u - so pretty! loved this.

Grimes - Flesh Without Blood - such an amazing songg!!

Billie Eilish - bury a friend - this is also a really nice Billie song <3

Kilo Kish - Nice Out - not bad!

Zella Day - Radio Silence - not into this.

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.