H100: Anti-Hero 4x #1, I'm Good (Blue) #7

Renan90

28 minutes ago, Klein said:

They shouldn't do it. The H100 is supposed to reflect what is popular in a given week. Christmas songs ARE the most popular songs around Christmas, that's just a fact, and it should be reflected on the charts. 

Well, if the Hot 100 is supposed to reflect what is popular in a given week, then Rich Flex would be #1 the past 2 weeks. That said, I think Halloween and Christmas songs should be ineligible to chart. We already have a Holiday 100, and that chart already gives a great indication on what holiday songs are popular.

However, if it is necessary for these songs to chart, then Billboard needs to waive the recurrent rules during this season. It really makes no sense to bring back songs from recurrency after the holiday season. A song that is "recurrent" in November or December shouldn't lose the distinction in January just because Christmas songs fall off.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pride4jc1222

• simmnfierzig

• Ger

• PoisonedIvy

1 minute ago, pride4jc1222 said:

Well, if the Hot 100 is supposed to reflect what is popular in a given week, then Rich Flex would be #1 the past 2 weeks.

Rich Flex -WAS- #1 the last two weeks… ON THE STREAMING CHART. The only metric it’s doing well in. Meanwhile the #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 is #1 because it’s performing superbly in all three metrics that count towards the cumulative chart. Sales, radio, AND streaming. But we’ve all told you this, many times — if you don’t like the Hot 100 formula, you can literally use any of the 3 individual metric charts. 

i do agree with what you said about recurrence around this time of year btw 

20 hours ago, pride4jc1222 said:

Yep, the Hot 100 formula needs to be changed. Drake was robbed of what should have been its first multi-week #1 since In My Feelings. Rich Flex's 2nd week streaming numbers are higher than Anti-Hero's 2nd week, as well as AIW's 2nd best streaming week. If Rich Flex gets blocked at #1, it will look stupid, especially considering there were lesser hits that reached #1 this decade.

19 hours ago, pride4jc1222 said:

At the very least, sales and airplay should be reduced. It would also help if the mid-week remix loophole were closed. Rich Flex is bigger than most of the hits that were #1 this year. It's about to hit platinum in 3 weeks: 

If Rich Flex never goes to #1, then the Hot 100 is illegitimate.

17 hours ago, pride4jc1222 said:

If you don't see the manipulation, I honestly don't know what to tell you. What Billboard could do is nullify all activity from mid-week remixes. If they can still get through that, then maybe it's time to remove sales from counting towards the Hot 100 altogether. The only thing I know is that changes need to be made, and if the last several years are an indication, we will see them after the holiday season.

14 hours ago, pride4jc1222 said:

It depends on how she gets her weeks at #1. If she gets them naturally, like the first 2 weeks, I will have no problem with it. However, if she drops remix after remix to manipulate the charts, then I will be 'pressed' about it.

I don't hate Taylor. I just hate the chart manipulation. What Taylor and her fanbase have been doing these most recent weeks is no different than what BTS and their stans did with Butter during the summer of 2021.

2 hours ago, pride4jc1222 said:

To be fair, Anti-Hero didn't really deserve the last 2 weeks in the US. Taylor and her fanbase used questionable tactics to block Rich Flex, which was clearly the biggest song in the US the last 2 weeks.

6 minutes ago, pride4jc1222 said:

Well, if the Hot 100 is supposed to reflect what is popular in a given week, then Rich Flex would be #1 the past 2 weeks. That said, I think Halloween and Christmas songs should be ineligible to chart. We already have a Holiday 100, and that chart already gives a great indication on what holiday songs are popular.

However, if it is necessary for these songs to chart, then Billboard needs to waive the recurrent rules during this season. It really makes no sense to bring back songs from recurrency after the holiday season. A song that is "recurrent" in November or December shouldn't lose the distinction in January just because Christmas songs fall off.

I think everyone understood your opinion on the topic. But just like multiple users already told you, the H100 is a chart that combines 3 metrics: streaming + SALES + RADIO

Rich Flex is #1 in the streaming chart. This was not enough to beat AH overall and that's it. 

9 minutes ago, pride4jc1222 said:

However, this is an interesting point. I don't even like the recurrent rule in the first place tbh.

For me if a song is in the top 100 most popular this week, it should appear on the H100, period. 

13 hours ago, Price88 said:

They’ll change the charts by then. They won’t just keep allowing Christmas songs on every year to break records and fall off again. I see them changing it in the next few years. It’s about that time for them to.

they won't change anything, hot 100 shows most popular songs that particular week, they would have to much hate if the christmas week or week before number one song on chart would some swift song or something when everyone literally listening to mariah and brenda, people are not blind and hot 100 won't change

As much as I’d love to see Christmas songs stop clogging the charts, it definitely would be dumb to place a rule which prevents them from charting. Like, they are the most consumed songs this time of year. All these rules to make things “fair” just muddies the literal purpose of charts: to track popularity/consumption. It’s not accurate if you introduce a bunch of rules, the worst I can think of being how the UK charts only allows 3 songs to chart in one week from any artist. Did Taylor Swift have the entire top 10 most popular songs one week in the US? Did Ed Sheeran do the same in the UK? Yes - and there’s no reason that shouldn’t be reflected because people think it’s “unfair”. Statistics are statistics.

With that said, I guess they could maybe reduce how much they count or something? So that it’s not as bad. I do think it’s a little bit different of a situation to have seasonal songs clog the entire chart (which keeps getting worse each year) for what will soon be 2-2.5 months of the entire year…. Versus an artist having a one-week album bomb. Not quite the same. Idk what they will do - if anything - and what would work and not be making things inaccurate.  

On 11/22/2022 at 4:30 AM, WeFoundTrouble said:

You say this like any of us 1.) deny it or 2.) as if it’s a bad thing she’s GREAT at her job. :deadbanana:  We know and we literally don’t care

Her job is not to manipulate the charts :deadbanana4:

5 minutes ago, Hot Volcano said:

Her job is not to manipulate the charts :deadbanana4:

The charts are a measurement of the most consumed artists on a weekly basis. Charting at #1 means you are the most consumed artist of the week. Whether it’s fans, the general public, or a combination of both, that is revenue going into the artist and their label’s pockets. Taylor Swift is a business. We understand that. Y’all think we don’t, or we should be embarrassed by it, but every single artist signed to a label is a brand, a business.

TL;DR — Their job is quite literally to succeed, to maximize consumption and profit from their artistic output. 

This is just the business component of being an artist of course. There’s obviously the side of things where you make music because it’s your passion, and that’s where the fans come in — people who connect with your work want to hear what you have to say. When enough people connect with your work, that’s when passion and success overlap. Taylor has perfected that.

Edited by WeFoundTrouble

5 hours ago, FAN said:

Wait, how is I’m Good top 10 on the hot 100? :deadbanana:

#6 Sales 

#8 Radio

#41 Streaming

However, around 52% of its points come from streaming, 43% from airplay and 5% from sales. It's a very successful hit.

Hear Those Sleigh Bells Ringing: Mariah Carey’s ‘Christmas’ Returns to Billboard Hot 100

The modern carol (All I Want for Christmas Is You) re-enters the Hot 100 (dated Nov. 26) at No. 25 with 14 million official streams (up 48%), 11.5 million radio airplay audience impressions (up 234%) and 1,900 sold (up 34%) in the Nov. 11-17 tracking week, according to Luminate. (A year ago this week, it returned to the chart, dated Nov. 27, 2021, at No. 36 with 11.2 million streams, 8.2 million in radio reach and 2,700 sold.)

In addition to “Christmas,” two other holiday classics make their annual resurgences on the Hot 100: Brenda Lee’s “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” (No. 41; 11.4 million streams, up 68%) and Bobby Helms’ “Jingle Bell Rock” (No. 50; 10.7 million streams, up 68%). On the Jan. 2, 2021, chart, a one-week record 39 seasonal songs infused the survey.

Just now, Ger-55 said:

#6 Sales 

#8 Radio

#41 Streaming

However, around 52% of its points come from streaming, 43% from airplay and 5% from sales. It's a very successful hit.

Yeah the gap between #20 and #40 on streaming is pretty small I would think and a lot of album tracks in there from Drake and Taylor who obviously dont have airplay

But #8 on radio and #7 on the Hot 100 is funny. Really massive gap between radio and streaming performance for some songs

I’m here for holiday songs not being allowed to chart on the Hot 100 eventually. It’s always the same songs charting in similar orders and it will take ages for the top songs to change, literally generations lol. As far as accuracy goes, the Hot 100 is never completely accurate with how much they change the formulas/rules on a whim lol. The truth is the chart is whatever they want it to be in any given year.

That being said, the Christmas songs literally leave 2/12 months of every year completely flooded with the same songs year and after and push down a lot of newer songs that deserved their time to shine because they’ll likely never get to re-chart like these types of songs do. That’s a significant amount of time per year. There is already a separate chart for them. 

I’m here for a rule like Christmas songs can’t re-enter the chart unless they’re deemed to be Top 20/25 or higher, so that the truly biggest ones get represented but then the rest don’t show up. 

Also, rather selfishly, it is painfully boring as a chart-watcher to know exactly what songs will make up most of the top 10 year after year come nov/Dec. :laugh: 

Usually christmas songs chart in the top 25/top 50 (for one month and a half at most) so the only songs that leave the chart are those that have been charting for months so I'm fine with them sending all those old hits to recurrent. Plus the current hits will increase again in streams and airplay and reach new peaks in January  :michael: 

55 minutes ago, MusicTalker said:

As far as accuracy goes, the Hot 100 is never completely accurate with how much they change the formulas/rules on a whim lol. The truth is the chart is whatever they want it to be in any given year.

It’s not the fact that they change the formula/rules on a whim, it’s the way that they remove the rules that aren’t really broken, but are hesitant to address the rules that are. For example, Billboard removed UGC from counting towards the Hot 100 in early 2020, but didn’t address the sales loopholes that the BTS and Taylor Swift fan bases exploited.

Lmao at some of you wanting to ban Xmas songs from charting.

The charts reflect the most popular songs during a specific period of time. It is what it is.

If your favs can’t beat old Xmas songs, your problem. 

47 minutes ago, DemDam92 said:

Lmao at some of you wanting to ban Xmas songs from charting.

The charts reflect the most popular songs during a specific period of time. It is what it is.

If your favs can’t beat old Xmas songs, your problem. 

or record new successful xmas song. 

yes it's 100year old brenda and mariah xmas song are on top but there's also ariana grande whom song is 8 years old. so it's not like new artists can't record new xmas songs. or albums (buble, kelly, sia are coming back to top10 every year)

3 hours ago, MusicTalker said:

I’m here for holiday songs not being allowed to chart on the Hot 100 eventually. It’s always the same songs charting in similar orders and it will take ages for the top songs to change, literally generations lol. As far as accuracy goes, the Hot 100 is never completely accurate with how much they change the formulas/rules on a whim lol. The truth is the chart is whatever they want it to be in any given year.

That being said, the Christmas songs literally leave 2/12 months of every year completely flooded with the same songs year and after and push down a lot of newer songs that deserved their time to shine because they’ll likely never get to re-chart like these types of songs do. That’s a significant amount of time per year. There is already a separate chart for them. 

I’m here for a rule like Christmas songs can’t re-enter the chart unless they’re deemed to be Top 20/25 or higher, so that the truly biggest ones get represented but then the rest don’t show up. 

Also, rather selfishly, it is painfully boring as a chart-watcher to know exactly what songs will make up most of the top 10 year after year come nov/Dec. :laugh: 

i think they should eventually implement a 50% handicap for Xmas songs like they do in the UK. They will all still chart and Mariah will still get her number 1, but the clogging period will be much shorter.

Yes, Hot 100 is supposed to represent what's popular, but frankly BB always had a different philosophy for the chart. It's their hot chart, which was always supposed to capture what was fresh in the market at the time. That's why they have so many different rules for songs going recurrent. Labels always wanted their hot new songs to start charting at least in the lower reaches of the chart in order to get traction and eventually become bigger hits. It wasn't possible with older hits clogging the charts, so BB always obliged. Nowadays labels are less interested in the charts, because streaming platforms is where the success and profits are, but it's still their hot chart, so they might eventually rethink the rules again. 

Christmas songs make it nearly impossible for Katy’s top 10 streak to be broken

4 hours ago, MusicTalker said:

Don't be a Grinch, Jeff :angelo: 

Bebeee, I know she hates the song deep inside but seeing her in the top 10 is so satisfying

On 11/22/2022 at 9:12 AM, Klein said:

They shouldn't do it. The H100 is supposed to reflect what is popular in a given week. Christmas songs ARE the most popular songs around Christmas, that's just a fact, and it should be reflected on the charts. 

Agreed it should! But they always change things after so long and I just see with records broken frequently all the time now, that it becomes changed to where they stop allowing recurrents back on. They may not, but I just see it happening eventually. Radio has definitely been a factor in these charts for years. It will go away for a bit and then brought back to make a huge difference on chart positions. I don’t see that ever changing. The other formats like sales and streaming will still be around. But I see more factors coming into play that will limit their equivalency factors on chart slots. I’m not sure what, but they added things before and they will probably do it again. That’s why the chart has become less reliant over the years. 

On 11/23/2022 at 11:18 AM, Sinister said:

Christmas songs make it nearly impossible for Katy’s top 10 streak to be broken

spacer.png

20 hours ago, umich said:

spacer.png

The Weeknd robbed, lol

On 11/23/2022 at 6:34 AM, MusicTalker said:

aren’t y’all tired of complaining about this every year?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.