World Cup in Qatar: wrong decision?

Ferret

It’s no longer allowed to drink alcohol in the stadium like wtf :rip: this must be the worst world cup ever

I don't think it's the wrong decision because of alcohol. If anything, hopefully it will stop the crazy drinking/violence culture that usually happens with soccer. 

However, it's a wrong decision because the way they got the rights to host was clearly rigged/shady AF. 

Plus the country is tiny and barely has the infrastructure to cope with hundreds of thousands of fans visiting at once. I mean...literally you can drive from one side of the country to the other in like 30 mins. And it's too hot to host the tournament comfortably, even in winter. The country is literally in a scorching hot desert.

And they had like one soccer stadium in the entire country until they got the World Cup hosting rights and all of these brand new stadiums were built by foreign workers under slave-like conditions. 

I think it's a total mess and FIFA should never have let this happen. There were so many other countries who would have made a better host.

No pork either, no gays, no sex, no condoms, no birth pills, no women allowed :clap3::cm:

5 minutes ago, Zack said:

I don't think it's the wrong decision because of alcohol. If anything, hopefully it will stop the crazy drinking/violence culture that usually happens with soccer. 

However, it's a wrong decision because the way they got the rights to host was clearly rigged/shady AF. 

Plus the country is tiny and barely has the infrastructure to cope with hundreds of thousands of fans visiting at once. I mean...literally you can drive from one side of the country to the other in like 30 mins. And it's too hot to host the tournament comfortably, even in winter. The country is literally in a scorching hot desert.

And they had like one soccer stadium in the entire country until they got the World Cup hosting rights and all of these brand new stadiums were built by foreign workers under slave-like conditions. 

I think it's a total mess and FIFA should never have let this happen. There were so many other countries who would have made a better host.

Great post 

It's an undeniable disaster (just like everyone predicted ten years ago). Should've NEVER hapenned and should be boycotted.

However, it's funny how 8 years ago people were calling out FIFA for influencing Brazil to make an exception to its anti-alcohol rules, but now have a problem with Qatar sticking to its regular law. Like, pick a side. :rip:

Edited by ATWK

Mostly because of how terribly they treat their foreign workers, and by exstention any south East Asian or North African who they assume is lower class

im scared for how POC and women football fans will be treated there as they are already heavily discriminated against. And ofc also gays but u can’t necessarily tell someone’s sexuality just by looking at them so some may be shielded from the worst of it

it’s already going to be considered the worst among football fans. Boiling hot, no alcohol, so many high profile opening acts dropping out, plus undeniable corruption. Not promising at all

It's great thing to ban alchohol, Qatar made several points right there :clap3: football stans need to learn how to have a good time without acting like a fool

No drunken middle-aged fools during football games? Sounds like a good decision. Should be applied everywhere.

No one outside the internet cares. Billions of people will be watching regardless. You have to realize most people don’t care about human rights. 

The tournament didn't even start yet. It will be great for all the billions of football fans because they always there for the game and not for the politics around it. If yall care so much about this moral compass then where is the energy against USA, UK, Russia, China and more of these countries when they host? They violated more human rights then anyone else but no energy to hate on them? Actually put the hate against all countries that allowed their teams to go to Qatar, aren't they also at wrong here supporting?

The tournament will be great as all WC tournaments before, all people want is watching their home country competing and watch great game with great players. No football fan watch the WC to see drunk people or who having sex with who.

It’s wrong for a multitude of reasons, I mean the only reason it’s even being held there is because the entire organisation accepted bribes. I just know something horrific is bound to happen there, the only silver lining I can see is the world being a witness to how terrible Qatar is.

Edited by BOOMBAYAH

2 hours ago, Tropez said:

No one outside the internet cares. Billions of people will be watching regardless. You have to realize most people don’t care about human rights. 

This. They especially don't care about human rights in other far away countries. Thousands of workers died creating the infrastructure for the World Cup and this has been going on for YEARS yet the "outcry" comes only now?

It only becomes an issue when companies lose money which is the case with that beer ban. 

I don’t understand why everyone is suddenly up in arms about the World Cup when it’s been previously held in RUSSIA, BRAZIL, etc…, all countries with extensive histories of human rights violations. I guess no country is innocent, but FIFA definitely needs to have a tighter leash on how things are run. 

Contrary to the other posts trying to view this in a positive light …. It’s probably a good decision (though ironically) in the sense it gives the general public more insight into what Qatar is, what it stands for on various cultural standpoints, and then that could push a certain needle for greater things (he says hopefully). Whether that’s a focus on human rights, societal issues or educational reform etc

Well all im hearing about this is bad things so i think YES. :cm: 

Yes, it was obvious a bribe and Qatar is a tiny country that doesn’t really have the infrastructure. Given the 100s who died building the stadium and the human rights abuses by the Qatari government it shouldn’t happen but money remains king and FIFA is corrupt AF. Even now people are only caring because of the no-alcohol rule rather than the “no gays” rule or the fact the stadiums was effectively made by slave labour.

3 hours ago, katara said:

This. They especially don't care about human rights in other far away countries. Thousands of workers died creating the infrastructure for the World Cup and this has been going on for YEARS yet the "outcry" comes only now?

People have been complaining about this since Qatar was awarded the competition 12 years ago, but obviously there will be more attention on it closer to the actual tournament.

OT: Yes it was a terrible decision for many reasons but purely in football terms, why would you host a football tournament in a country that barely even plays the sport? :rip: The country hasn't ever even qualified for the world cup since its inception.

Wrong decision? for Qatar, yes. They forced themselves into this, they wanted to diversify the image of their country but now no brand or business will want to be associated with Qatar outside the World Cup. They have become the new punchbag for European media, articles about the human rights abuses are being made left and right and the bribery scandal is making new rounds. Easily one of the most expensive mistakes ever, and probably the most expensive branding mistake ever. 

What I don’t really understand, is that why would this small ass country that is already R I C H want the World Cup so badly? Like legitimately what’s the point :skull: like even the branding reason doesn’t make any sense. Y’all rich who cares about branding when y’all RICH :skull: 

On 11/19/2022 at 8:38 PM, Black Jesus said:

I don’t understand why everyone is suddenly up in arms about the World Cup when it’s been previously held in RUSSIA, BRAZIL, etc…, all countries with extensive histories of human rights violations. I guess no country is innocent, but FIFA definitely needs to have a tighter leash on how things are run. 

For their citizens and residents, they are really really bad but Qatar is way worse, simple as that, except for straight Qatari men and a few white western men who temporarily live there. 

Edited by A.R.L

22 hours ago, 4Walls said:

What I don’t really understand, is that why would this small ass country that is already R I C H want the World Cup so badly? Like legitimately what’s the point :skull: like even the branding reason doesn’t make any sense. Y’all rich who cares about branding when y’all RICH :skull: 

To piss off their neighboring countries UAE and Saudi Arabia 

it was always da wrong decision when they were awarded da Cup

TIL about the bribery:skull: never paid attention to soccer tbh but this one seems to have the most negative press

If anyone wants to learn more about this, I highly recommend John Oliver’s segment which really looks at the horror behind it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.