An unprecedented RSV outbreak is ravaging infants across the US, doctors warn

Communion

I'm pretty sure i've been dealing with RSV for the past two weeks... stay safe yall (i mean adults generally have mild symptoms but most haven't been exposed to this for the past 3 years and the typical immunity has surely faded)

13 minutes ago, Kamil24 said:

Not surprising given the lockdowns over the past few years. 

Are you honestly posting disinformation for the sake of it? :skull: 

This has nothing to do with lockdowns: most countries having a surge in RSV had similar surges of RSV in 2021:

Edited by Communion

I’m sure my colleague had RSV, she was coughing and hacking for almost a month straight. Actually it was only this week that I noticed she wasn’t coughing anymore, it became such a regular thing. She has 3 young children, all under the age of 5 at home

American healthcare is collapsing. Not surprising this is happening under the man who proudly proclaimed he would veto Medicare For All if it ever landed on his desk. :katie:

1 hour ago, Smarticle said:

all the pandemic babies made during 2020 and now we're dealing with it

Birth rate in America is significantly down, but ok.

18 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Birth rate in America is significantly down, but ok.

what's your point with this comment :rip:,  it's still ravaging the younger generation, and yes it's related to the COVID pandemic, although not specifically pandemic babies - OP's article even says infants 6 month and younger are getting hospitalized bc of RSV

RSV is nothing new — “It’s been around forever,” Yager said — but this RSV season is unique for a few reasons. One is because immunity against the virus has waned with fewer infections during the winters of 2020 and 2021. Another explanation is a change in human behavior.

“The past two years, people were still social distancing and masking, which made the first RSV season of the pandemic virtually nonexistent and last year’s significantly diminished,” Yager said. “But now that kids are back in school and many people have abandoned preventive health measures, RSV cases are blowing up again.”

Dr. Nipunie Rajapakse, a pediatric infectious diseases physician at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, offered a similar take: “Many of these young children have been relatively protected from many infections by the measures put in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19, such as masking and physical distancing, so they have not developed immunity to viruses like RSV yet.” x

34 minutes ago, Smarticle said:

what's your point with this comment :rip:,  it's still ravaging the younger generation, and yes it's related to the COVID pandemic, although not specifically pandemic babies - OP's article even says infants 6 month and younger are getting hospitalized bc of RSV

You realize that "related to the pandemic" means that these are averse effects from mothers becoming sick with COVID while pregnant while your post reads like some conspiracy that this is somehow due to lockdowns, right? 

11 minutes ago, Communion said:

You realize that "related to the pandemic" means that these are averse effects from mothers becoming sick with COVID while pregnant while your post reads like some conspiracy that this is somehow due to lockdowns, right? 

huh that's why i was quoting about other pandemic measures - like masking and distancing, that helped to prevent transmission. not some conspiracy about lockdowns

2 minutes ago, Smarticle said:

huh that's why i was quoting about other pandemic measures - like masking and distancing,

Again, it's already explained in the OP how this concept of "immunity debt" is largely nonsense. Even CNBC's own article contradicts itself when trying to both-sides the arguments and give ~every theory~ a hearing when emphasizing the concentration of the outbreak amongst infants younger than 6 months:

Infants 6 months and younger are getting hospitalized with RSV at seven times the rate observed before the Covid-19 pandemic in 2018, according to CDC data.

How does a 6-month old have immunity debt?

I have no idea what this disease is so I looked it up and Google says it usually goes away on it's own

31 minutes ago, Communion said:

Again, it's already explained in the OP how this concept of "immunity debt" is largely nonsense. Even CNBC's own article contradicts itself when trying to both-sides the arguments and give ~every theory~ a hearing when emphasizing the concentration of the outbreak amongst infants younger than 6 months:

How does a 6-month old have immunity debt?

gurl idek 

i was just replying to the 'birth rates were down' comment that quoted me and how that doesn't affect the RSV transmission surge in younger children :redface: i wasn't trying to debate the root cause for infant RSV hospitalizations :redface:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.