"You've lost weight, you look great!!"

Nikko

• ATRL Moderator

Always hated this comment :heart2: oh no, i'm a snowflake!!1!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HeavyMetalAura

• Nano

• BOOMBAYAH

• shookspeare

I would feel great as my effort to eat clean and stay healthy pay off :clap3: 

It would make me feel like they saw me as ugly before the weight loss, so i would probably overthink it and feel sad but in the moment I would just thank them for the compliment. 

59 minutes ago, americanlife said:

"You've lost weight" is rude. Just say "you look great."

This

I think it’s best not to comment on someone’s weight loss or gain. Maybe the switch happened because of an eating disorder, or a new medication that causes weight fluctuation, or a health problem that causes it. Best to just say, “you look great!” and keep it at that. 

I would accept it and feel flattered. Only seek attention muscle gays will try to make you believe it's afecting them deeply and ruins their day

55 minutes ago, HeavyMetalAura said:

Maybe the switch happened because of an eating disorder

I loved it when people commented on my weight loss when I had bulimia. That was the whole point. For me and I bet most other people with eating disorders.

never once in my life that I had to go thru any of this cuz ive always been fit all my life.:kitty:

I’d take it as a compliment, we love being a skinny legend

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Nano said:

I loved it when people commented on my weight loss when I had bulimia. That was the whole point. For me and I bet most other people with eating disorders.

Yeah but then you’re consequently encouraging an eating disorder. The comment indirectly says, “whatever you’re doing is working!”

16 minutes ago, HeavyMetalAura said:

Yeah but then you’re consequently encouraging an eating disorder. The comment indirectly says, “whatever you’re doing is working!”

I stopped years ago, but the bulimia is the reason I'm thin now. It did work. If people didn't comment on my weight I might've never stopped.

Edited by Nano

3 hours ago, liver said:

it's totally fine to compliment someone for losing weight if they used to be lazy and fat. stop trying to normalize unhealthy lifestyle choices 

true dat :clap: 

45 minutes ago, Nano said:

I stopped years ago, but the bulimia is the reason I'm thin now. It did work. If people didn't comment on my weight I might've never stopped.

….okay.

Personally I would like it but I could get why it would irk someone. I think it’s the type of thing you should only say if you know the person well.

I’d say “thanks! I’ve been running 5 times a week and eating healthy”

spacer.png

Its only rude if you tell that to someone trying to put on weight 

Generally when i see someone has lost/gain weight or muscles i ask that person how life was lately.

I try to see and feel if that person is happy/excited or not...

THEN i say "i think you look great"

Once again, the behaviour is important.

If losing weight makes a person look more attractive and beautiful, then this should be taken as a compliment. I know some of these people. 

But seriously, I also know other people who were prettier with more weight and  immediately lost something good to them when they lost weight, so it really depends on the person.

The only case when it doesn’t look healthy at all is when someone is obese, if it’s inevitable due to some health issues unfortunately, then I think there are good reasons to change that. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.