Aaliyah's 'Are You That Somebody' was made in 4 hours. Surprised?

Virgos Groove

Late one night after a show in 1998, Timbaland received a phone call. On the other end was Barry Hankerson, Aaliyah’s manager and uncle, asking Tim to produce the lead single for the Dr. Doolittle soundtrack. The deal was already “etched in stone,” and Tim would get $400,000 to do it. There was just one catch: He had to have the master of the track to the label at 8 AM. It was 4 AM, and he had nothing.

As he tells it in a brief clip posted on YouTube, Tim made short work of the beat and, soon after, Static found the hook. Then, Tim had an idea: He flipped through his CDs, found the one he wanted and played it for everyone. It was a baby cooing happily, lilting up like the softest arc extending from the gentlest slingshot, lasting no more than half a second in the air before falling back down to earth.

By 8 AM, the track was mastered; according to Timbaland, later that morning “Are You That Somebody?” and this baby coo were already being played on the radio

https://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2016/07/who-was-the-baby-on-aaliyah-s-are-you-that-somebody

One of the most iconic and acclaimed tracks of the 90s, written, recorded, produced and mastered in only 4 hours. :jonny:

MadonnasBoyfriend

I feel indifferent. Not sure how long it takes to make a song 

Also was never performed live on television.

Billboard mentioned how it would’ve been a top 3 hit had the airplay rules been in effect at it’s peak.

How Aaliyah competed with TBIM (impact/airplay wise) solo with NO PROMO is ICONIC.

(Original) Queen of Urban Pop!

It took 4 hours for the baby to stop crying?

No, and it sounds like it. Try Again ended her and One in a Million walked so she could run. 

5du9qGo.thumb.gif.cba86bcb738c3353a47e89

1 hour ago, KingOfUrbanPop said:

Also was never performed live on television.

Billboard mentioned how it would’ve been a top 3 hit had the airplay rules been in effect at it’s peak.

How Aaliyah competed with TBIM (impact/airplay wise) solo with NO PROMO is ICONIC.

It just goes to show how much more successful she would've been if she had a more effective label backing and promotion. :jonny6: They really held her back 

This is a different story than the one told years ago by Static…it was quick and everything was done in one session but he said it took hours alone for them to convince Aaliyah to even record the song because she didn’t like it. 

On 11/12/2022 at 4:19 PM, loudliyah said:

It just goes to show how much more successful she would've been if she had a more effective label backing and promotion. :jonny6: They really held her back 

And that’s exactly why a Stan can’t tell me a mf thing about Aaliyah’s success, impact or legend status because had she had a backing like DC, Brandy, Mo **** even Mya it would’ve been game over. :coffee:

On 11/12/2022 at 11:23 PM, Bloodflowers. said:

@NoNeedForWords ughhh this excellence was made quick :jonny5:

Sure was. When you have the idea, it cums-quick..

I don't know if I should be surprised or not lol. The end result is the same and that's classic status! Timbaland has always been very thorough and a master at his craft. Same with the underrated Static Major.  

90s Timbaland and co. changed the course of modern production forever and AYTS is one of the hallmarks of that.

8 hours ago, KingOfUrbanPop said:

And that’s exactly why a Stan can’t tell me a mf thing about Aaliyah’s success, impact or legend status because had she had a backing like DC, Brandy, Mo **** even Mya it would’ve been game over. :coffee:

And then the rumors about her planning to leave blackground to sign with a major label in 01/02.... I can think of a couple of girls that would've never happened :mandown:

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 1:59 PM, blueberries said:

We can tell

girl finish writing a bridge and final chorus to my mind and me how about that

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.