• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• Virgos Groove

• wehavetostan

• Achilles.

• ATRL Moderator
57 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

Imo it's rap, if it was done by a male rapper we would not question that!

That was my inclination. It’s just still hard to fully understand what the hell the Grammys meant with that category. The “Munch” instrumental is very melodic.

1 minute ago, supaspaz said:

That was my inclination. It’s just still hard to fully understand what the hell the Grammys meant with that category. The “Munch” instrumental is very melodic.

I always just took it as rap songs with pop/rnb hooks/choruses where artists sing. But it's only when rest of the song is genuinely rap, Sweetest Pie for example is a pop duo fit much more than melodic rap imo.

Question but: what genre categories are we doing for Motomami? Pop or Alternative?

FYC:

Hikaru Utada Official Website | PROFILE

HIKARU UTADA

Album of the Year, Best Pop Vocal Album - Bad Mode

Record of the Year, Best Dance Recording - Somewhere Near Marseilles

Magdalena Bay: Mercurial World review – poolside pop with seductive charm |  Pop and rock | The Guardian

MAGDALENA BAY

Album of the Year, Best Pop Vocal Album - Mercurial World

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance - Unconditional

Best Rock Song - All You Do

Best Music Video - Dreamcatching

On Sudan Archives' 'Natural Brown Prom Queen,' home can be anywhere : NPR

SUDAN ARCHIVES

Album of the Year, Best Alternative Album - Natural Brown Prom Queen

Best New Artist

Song of the Year, Best Dance Recording - Home Maker

• ATRL Moderator
2 hours ago, TRF. said:

Question but: what genre categories are we doing for Motomami? Pop or Alternative?

Pop. It's so polyglot in genre that probably is the best fit.

• ATRL Moderator
6 hours ago, BlackoutZone said:

I always just took it as rap songs with pop/rnb hooks/choruses where artists sing. But it's only when rest of the song is genuinely rap, Sweetest Pie for example is a pop duo fit much more than melodic rap imo.

That's what it was when it used to be rap/sung performance. But then they transformed it into melodic rap to recognize songs that fall somewhere between rap and other genres, which can be rather ambiguous.

"This category is intended to recognize solo and collaborative performances containing elements of rap and melody over modern production. This performance requires a strong and clear presence of melody combined with rap cadence, and is inclusive of dialects, lyrics or performance elements from non-rap genres including R&B, rock, country, electronic or more. The production may include traditional elements of rap or elements characteristic of the aforementioned non-rap genres."

On 11/17/2022 at 10:18 AM, Legend E said:

idk :deadbanana2: maybe because it was only released as a b-side at that point? idek

Maybe they were able to submit it as a "track" (rather than as a single) because the album was eligible this year (and it didn't get nominated as a single)? :michael: 

21 minutes ago, andresg770 said:

Maybe they were able to submit it as a "track" (rather than as a single) because the album was eligible this year (and it didn't get nominated as a single)? :michael: 

Well I'm glad they submitted it because it deserves a Grammy :jonnycat: fraud always wins

7 minutes ago, Legend E said:

Well I'm glad they submitted it because it deserves a Grammy :jonnycat: fraud always wins

Ooh, I *may* have found the answer on p. 11 of this document:

A track from an album released in the current eligibility year is eligible provided the track was not entered as a single the previous year.

Assuming that "entered" here is being used as "submitted" rather than "released," my guess is that they only submitted ISHFIY last year, thus leaving DSMD eligible for this year (since they knew it'd be included in the album).  Or maybe they just stumbled their way into this loophole lol.

3 minutes ago, andresg770 said:

Ooh, I *may* have found the answer on p. 11 of this document:

Assuming that "entered" here is being used as "submitted" rather than "released," my guess is that they only submitted ISHFIY last year, thus leaving DSMD eligible for this year (since they knew it'd be included in the album).  Or maybe they just stumbled their way into this loophole lol.

Oh jesus :deadbanana2: the Grammy rules are an absolute mess, but this explains it quite well I think, thank you :heart2: 

Finishing my submissions tomorrow. Taking FYCs. :thing:

3 hours ago, onapearl said:

I'm probably gonna submit for both, but would Tears in the Club be more Pop or RnB? Wikipedia says it's both :deadbanana:

this one was submitted for best pop duo/group performance so probably that one

• ATRL Moderator
3 hours ago, onapearl said:

I'm probably gonna submit for both, but would Tears in the Club be more Pop or RnB? Wikipedia says it's both :deadbanana:

It was submitted pop at the Grammys.

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Golden Hour said:

Finishing my submissions tomorrow. Taking FYCs. :thing:

"El Apagón" for Record of the Year, Best Dance Recording and Best Music Video

"Hentai" for Record of the Year, Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance

"Music For a Sushi Restaurant" for Record of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance

"Time Escaping" for Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Best Rock Performance and Best Rock Song

"Wheelie" for Record of the Year and Best Rap Performance

"Amazing" for Record of the Year and Best R&B Performance

"The Furthest Thing" for Song of the Year, Best Country Solo Performance and Best Country Song

"Billions" for Record of the Year, Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance

FYC:

TV (Billie Eilish) - ROTY, SOTY, Best Pop Solo Performance

Glimpse Of Us (Joji) - ROTY, SOTY, Best Pop Solo Performance, Best Music Video

Horses (Maggie Rogers) - ROTY, SOTY, Best Rock Performance, Best Rock Song, Best Music Video

Edited by nasa

On 11/16/2022 at 7:11 PM, Legend E said:

I wish Don't Shut Me Down was eligible here too after seeing it got nominations :redface:

On 11/17/2022 at 5:16 PM, supaspaz said:

Then how did it get nominated at the Grammys? Our eligibility period is the same.

It was released in Sept but was never actually submitted for the previous cycle, I Still Have Faith In You was. Then DSMD became a part of a new album (Voyage) which was released in the appropriate eligibility period, therefore making the song eligible as it was never submitted. PURR! Abba getting nominated here too

I'm definitely gonna wait for the longlist on this one. I feel like I've missed on a LOT of music this year, so I'd rather just vote then (and maybe listen to things I may have missed!)

• ATRL Moderator
7 hours ago, nasa said:

It was released in Sept but was never actually submitted for the previous cycle, I Still Have Faith In You was. Then DSMD became a part of a new album (Voyage) which was released in the appropriate eligibility period, therefore making the song eligible as it was never submitted. PURR! Abba getting nominated here too

Interesting. I think this was the strategy with not submitting “WAP” a few years ago and then the album never came out.

On 11/18/2022 at 8:04 PM, gagacasanova said:

Imma just wait for the longlists bc I have no idea wtf I'm doing anymore :toofunny2:

me too tbh D: i don't have the mental strenght to think these weeks, i'm too tired :chick3:

12 minutes ago, itsjem said:

me too tbh D: i don't have the mental strenght to think these weeks, i'm too tired :chick3:

I feel that on a very personal level.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.