Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

X-Men | Dark Phoenix - Jessica Chastain -

2,524 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I stopped coming in here after the Disney acquisition, I knew it would be a blood bath. 

Guys I literally have all the tea on this movie. I’ve been talking with a source close to production. Yes it’s Captain Marvel it’s similar too. BUT it’s not the main reason they had to reshoot the third act.

Fox execs expected this huge invasion style attack on New York, with the X men battling along side. 

What they got was just Jean and Scott saving civilians and UN leaders, Charles is also there, but his powers don’t work on aliens, so was a liability more than anything. The UN attack was scripted differently when this was going to be A TWO PART saga. (A WHOLE other messy story lol) 

Also this old 3rd act was not well received by test audience, “long and bloated” “huge action set piece no substance”, was the kind of feedback they received. (XMen are imprisioned during this whole thing) 

They initially wanted to redo the UN sequence with all the X Men present, but the sets had been long destroyed, and rebuilding them (it’s the biggest set of any X film) and acquiring the licenses and permits for the locations was too TIMELY and COSTLY. 

They had to settle for the train sequence which was predominantly shot on a sound stage, with the exception of the leaked set pics, which were shot on a yard. This sequence as seen in the trailers, has all the Mutants fighting alongside each other, the REQUIREMENT Fox asked for. 

3 hours ago, SchmoodRing said:

What exactly was so damn similar though lol

Jean was suppose to fly up into space turning into her nude fiery form (the images from EW), confront a fleet of alien ships approaching earth, and doing her best “Captain Marvel” impression, destroy the fleet. Very similar lol. 

Anyway, I’m told even with this going on, the movie is still First Class level great! 

2 hours ago, kelli101 said:

The UN attack was scripted differently when this was going to be A TWO PART saga. (A WHOLE other messy story lol)

We need details on this messy story give us the goss sis. :alexz:

Posted (edited)

Matthew Vaughn came for blood :deadbanana:

maise and turner getting that marvel money too :clap3:

6 hours ago, Mr.Fenty said:

Matthew Vaughn came for blood :deadbanana:

He can choke! DOFP is better than any Marvel film ever and all other X-men film. 

41 minutes ago, Dark Miracles said:

:skull: 

:ahh:

She is hilarious 

9 hours ago, kelli101 said:

I stopped coming in here after the Disney acquisition, I knew it would be a blood bath. 

Guys I literally have all the tea on this movie. I’ve been talking with a source close to production. Yes it’s Captain Marvel it’s similar too. BUT it’s not the main reason they had to reshoot the third act.

Fox execs expected this huge invasion style attack on New York, with the X men battling along side. 

What they got was just Jean and Scott saving civilians and UN leaders, Charles is also there, but his powers don’t work on aliens, so was a liability more than anything. The UN attack was scripted differently when this was going to be A TWO PART saga. (A WHOLE other messy story lol) 

Also this old 3rd act was not well received by test audience, “long and bloated” “huge action set piece no substance”, was the kind of feedback they received. (XMen are imprisioned during this whole thing) 

They initially wanted to redo the UN sequence with all the X Men present, but the sets had been long destroyed, and rebuilding them (it’s the biggest set of any X film) and acquiring the licenses and permits for the locations was too TIMELY and COSTLY. 

They had to settle for the train sequence which was predominantly shot on a sound stage, with the exception of the leaked set pics, which were shot on a yard. This sequence as seen in the trailers, has all the Mutants fighting alongside each other, the REQUIREMENT Fox asked for. 

Jean was suppose to fly up into space turning into her nude fiery form (the images from EW), confront a fleet of alien ships approaching earth, and doing her best “Captain Marvel” impression, destroy the fleet. Very similar lol. 

Anyway, I’m told even with this going on, the movie is still First Class level great! 

So they just wasted the most expensive set by not making it to the final edit? Shame. 

If they had made all the xmen present in that most expensive set and it would have been great. 

Why does this franchise always focus on one to two mutants, cant they make a great action sequenve involving group of mutants. 

The cheapness going on 

From space fight 

To 

TRAIN FIGHT

Right now the only thing XMEN will have justice is via netflix or any tv series adaptation. Not spinoff. But original xmen. 

10 hours ago, kelli101 said:

Sis all these spoilers. :skull:

^ This. 

I really think the the best option to reboot X Men is via TV. Possibly Disney+? It could only be 10 part seasons and allow for good VFX, the season Arc’s could culminate in a theatrical release movie. There would be so much room for character development and for the characters to all shine and not fade into the background (Storm I’m looking at you). Hopefully by Season 5 or 6 we could get an incredible adaptation of the Phoenix SAGA. A 2 hour film can’t ever recreate years of storytelling like the comics, but TV would do it justice.

10 hours ago, Kahi said:

We need details on this messy story give us the goss sis. :alexz:

It gets messy, stay with me. I’ll put this in spoiler tags: PLEASE ONLY READ IF YOU DON’T mind a few spoilers: Also very long, but the shortest summary I could do :

Spoiler

So where to begin.....

- Okay so there are some HUGE name OSCAR winning people behind the scenes creating this movie, look them up on IMDB. They ALL signed on to a FINISHED two part script, and were hired for their experience and talent, to bring together the huge undertaking of filming TWO movies. 

- The two movies were to be filmed together. The plan was to film most of the huge action pieces first. So the UN set, the largest of any X film, as well as the New York night street battle set, were all being built. These to sets were the THIRD act sets for each movie, with the UN set serving as the HUGE invasion style finale for PART TWO! Part one‘s finale set, is still partially in THIS movie, albeit scaled down, and with key players missing. It also serves as the close of the second act, opposed to a final act battle. 

- Fox, with about 2 months until principal photography, BLINDSIDED the entire team, CUT the budget and informed the creative team to scale it down to ONE movie. They were not told of any reason (no employee at Fox knew about the merger until it was announced, only higher ups). They scrambled. They had to rewrite an ENTIRE script, pulling together pieces and ideas from the old ones, while COMPLETELY cutting out characters, set pieces, sequences, and changing some characters motivations.

- The biggest omission from this is the Shi’ar!!!!! Yes the Shi’ar were to be introduced and fleshed out in the scrapped two part movies. Simon KNEW bringing them in this new script would be foolish, drawing away the spotlight from Jean. Having to do their origin story, as well as a certain character’s relationship with Charles, while also telling Jeans descent into darkness, in a two hour time frame, was UNREALISTIC. Things had to be cut guys. 

Jessica Chastain signed on to play LILANDRA! When the scripted changed, they had to delay her from shooting, while they figured out who she would play and how she would be involved. Eventually Jessica started TWO and a half months after all the other actors had started. 

- Because they already had sets built for the original idea, they had to use them, also with the budget cut, they couldn’t just destroy them and build new ones. They incorporated them into this singular movie. While they had managed to rewrite the first two acts, by the time shooting had begun, THEY HAD BARELY a working script for the third act lol. Just ideas.

- The reason Jessica kept teasing her character was because even after the rewrites, they still intended her to be Lilandra. They filmed a whole scene of her introducing herself to the world as the Empress, although the Shi’ar are NOT named, instead she leads a mysterious grey humanoid alien race. They realised she resembled NOTHING of Lilandra, so shot an alternate version of her being nameless, which would have been the cut we saw, had they kept the old third act. Basically someone needed to have a chat with Jessica lmao! 

- When Fox reviewed the footage, and seeing the test audience feedback, they realised their blunder, and allowed for additional photography to commence (reshoots).They realised in doing so, they would have to push back the film. Fox wanted the February date while Kinberg urged them for a later date, because the reshoots would end in September, and the film coming out in Feb wouldn’t allow enough time to edit, score and add effects. Keep in mind they are REPLACING a whole third act. Fox Announces the Valentine’s Day release anyway. 

When everything was completed, FOX again realised the effects weren’t going to be complete lol, so agreed to move it to the current date, ON THE CONDITION a trailer was to be released in order to soften the delay. The trailer would have the new date, and would be the announcement. Somewhere in the shuffle, the company that cuts trailers, left the Feb date on and was released. The biggest LOL.... 

5 hours ago, supertiffany said:

If they had made all the xmen present in that most expensive set and it would have been great. 

Because the delay in rewrites, they had to cut out, Storm, Beast, Magneto, who all had other commitments by the time filming the old third act had started. Easiest option was to have them “captured”. This new Sequence corrects that! Only Evan Peters (Quicksilver) was unavailable to do both (AHS) lol.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, kelli101 said:

It gets messy, stay with me. I’ll put this in spoiler tags: PLEASE ONLY READ IF YOU DON’T mind a few spoilers: Also very long, but the shortest summary I could do :

Hide contents

So where to begin.....

- Okay so there are some HUGE name OSCAR winning people behind the scenes creating this movie, look them up on IMDB. They ALL signed on to a FINISHED two part script, and were hired for their experience and talent, to bring together the huge undertaking of filming TWO movies. 

- The two movies were to be filmed together. The plan was to film most of the huge action pieces first. So the UN set, the largest of any X film, as well as the New York night street battle set, were all being built. These to sets were the THIRD act sets for each movie, with the UN set serving as the HUGE invasion style finale for PART TWO! Part one‘s finale set, is still partially in THIS movie, albeit scaled down, and with key players missing. It also serves as the close of the second act, opposed to a final act battle. 

- Fox, with about 2 months until principal photography, BLINDSIDED the entire team, CUT the budget and informed the creative team to scale it down to ONE movie. They were not told of any reason (no employee at Fox knew about the merger until it was announced, only higher ups). They scrambled. They had to rewrite an ENTIRE script, pulling together pieces and ideas from the old ones, while COMPLETELY cutting out characters, set pieces, sequences, and changing some characters motivations.

- The biggest omission from this is the Shi’ar!!!!! Yes the Shi’ar were to be introduced and fleshed out in the scrapped two part movies. Simon KNEW bringing them in this new script would be foolish, drawing away the spotlight from Jean. Having to do their origin story, as well as a certain character’s relationship with Charles, while also telling Jeans descent into darkness, in a two hour time frame, was UNREALISTIC. Things had to be cut guys. 

Jessica Chastain signed on to play LILANDRA! When the scripted changed, they had to delay her from shooting, while they figured out who she would play and how she would be involved. Eventually Jessica started TWO and a half months after all the other actors had started. 

- Because they already had sets built for the original idea, they had to use them, also with the budget cut, they couldn’t just destroy them and build new ones. They incorporated them into this singular movie. While they had managed to rewrite the first two acts, by the time shooting had begun, THEY HAD BARELY a working script for the third act lol. Just ideas.

- The reason Jessica kept teasing her character was because even after the rewrites, they still intended her to be Lilandra. They filmed a whole scene of her introducing herself to the world as the Empress, although the Shi’ar are NOT named, instead she leads a mysterious grey humanoid alien race. They realised she resembled NOTHING of Lilandra, so shot an alternate version of her being nameless, which would have been the cut we saw, had they kept the old third act. Basically someone needed to have a chat with Jessica lmao! 

- When Fox reviewed the footage, and seeing the test audience feedback, they realised their blunder, and allowed for additional photography to commence (reshoots).They realised in doing so, they would have to push back the film. Fox wanted the February date while Kinberg urged them for a later date, because the reshoots would end in September, and the film coming out in Feb wouldn’t allow enough time to edit, score and add effects. Keep in mind they are REPLACING a whole third act. Fox Announces the Valentine’s Day release anyway. 

When everything was completed, FOX again realised the effects weren’t going to be complete lol, so agreed to move it to the current date, ON THE CONDITION a trailer was to be released in order to soften the delay. The trailer would have the new date, and would be the announcement. Somewhere in the shuffle, the company that cuts trailers, left the Feb date on and was released. The biggest LOL.... 

Because the delay in rewrites, they had to cut out, Storm, Beast, Magneto, who all had other commitments by the time filming the old third act had started. Easiest option was to have them “captured”. This new Sequence corrects that! Only Evan Peters (Quicksilver) was unavailable to do both (AHS) lol.

Wow... well it’s probably a good thing FOX will no longer make X-men movies because the brand deserves better than this.

8 hours ago, chris1991 said:

He can choke! DOFP is better than any Marvel film ever and all other X-men film. 

He didn't say anything bad about it though :rip:

43 minutes ago, kelli101 said:

Reveal hidden contents

So where to begin.....

FOX ruining everything as usual 

41 minutes ago, jgorny said:

Wow... well it’s probably a good thing FOX will no longer make X-men movies because the brand deserves better than this.

This!!

@kelli101

what a mess. so in original(before reshoot), only jean and scoot, charlse 3people was on UN fight scene and others wasn't there because of schedule issue? that's really.. bad... lol

I don't believe that it's first class good tho. the way they're "hiding" reactions.. it must be so bad.

no public screening, even social reaction embargo is a day before. they have extremely tight international embargo too.

original shooting June 28, 2017 ~  October 14, 2017

alexandra shipp was in montreal june to september, 2017. I don't know why she wouldn't be in original 3rd act UN fight tho.

I guess it was in october?

Michael Fassbender was also free except in october.

Kodi Smit-McPhee had nothing going on. except brief moment in august with new movie coming out.

Nicholas Hoult wsa shooting Tolkien in october..

even peters had American Horror Story: Cult start at May 24, 2017 and Pose in October 2017.

so in original(before reshoot) only 3 jean,scott, charles was in UN battle while other 4 x men got captured.

was quicksilver in coma whole time in original too?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, chris1991 said:

it could've been even better if it were the final movie in the trilogy tho. you can't deny that Apocalypse ruined all the movementum of First Class and DOFP

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, kelli101 said:

Earlier rumors was this was Apocalypse/Last Stand-level bad so I hope you're right.

Anyway, LA premiere is Tuesday, I would expect the entire cast including JLaw to be there so hopefully lots of press. By the the time it's over the movie will already be out in: UK/Ireland, France, India, Singapore, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and The Philippines.

This is dOa 

thanks for all the tea @kelli101

this part blows my mind :deadbanana: FOX is such a joke

《《When everything was completed, FOX again realised the effects weren’t going to be complete lol, so agreed to move it to the current date, ON THE CONDITION a trailer was to be released in order to soften the delay. The trailer would have the new date, and would be the announcement. Somewhere in the shuffle, the company that cuts trailers, left the Feb date on and was released. The biggest LOL.... 》》

3 hours ago, sadnews said:

alexandra shipp was in montreal june to september, 2017. I don't know why she wouldn't be in original 3rd act UN fight tho.

Kodi Smit-McPhee had nothing going on. except brief moment in august with new movie coming out.

even peters had American Horror Story: Cult start at May 24, 2017 and Pose in October 2017.

so in original(before reshoot) only 3 jean,scott, charles was in UN battle while other 4 x men got captured.

More than anything particularly schedule conflicts

It would have been:

MISMANAGEMENT

unlike other film outfits, XMEN has always been disorganized with their shooting. 

That third act tho why did they remove it :(

IMAGINE THAT UN STYLE WOULD HAVE BEEN SO EPIC

It will blow the final act of DOFP, APOCALYPSE AND LAST STAND COMBINED

and they went with the TRAIN SCENE 

Just wow. 

When will the Apocalypse slander stop??

That movie was GOOD

34 minutes ago, supertiffany said:

IMAGINE THAT UN STYLE WOULD HAVE BEEN SO EPIC

It will blow the final act of DOFP, APOCALYPSE AND LAST STAND COMBINED

and they went with the TRAIN SCENE 

Just wow. 

The scenes I have seen of the train sequence are actually, for once, really well choreographed, and the visuals are quite stunning! I mean they have the Mad Max stunt crew, it’s hard to screw that up. And I agree. The Either version of the UN attack would have been perhaps more cinematic! 

- This whole debacle caused Pyslocke (Olivia Munn) to be written out. She had a minor BUT hugely important role, in the two part script, like “wig flying sort” lol. She was to be a telepath, something not explored in Apocalypse. She was still included in rewrites, until Munn had to drop out to film The Predator. The MTV interview she did in 2017, looking back alluded her team probably trying to figure out the schedule, ultimately didn’t pan out. Selene is a nod to Psylocke (and her role in the hellfire). I know a lot of people don’t like it, but I think Kota (Selene) looks stunning in the part! I love the shaved purple hair lol.

3 hours ago, sadnews said:

I’m not too sure of the logistics, all I was told was “scheduling conflicts”. 

And yes Evan was only available for a short time, in the original shoot, and didn’t do any reshoots. Even if he was available, I don’t believe they would have added him in the train sequence. It would mean either filming entire new scenes, or adding him into existing ones, either option is expensive.

This still is of the very end of the OLD third act, they are being released from detention:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQa2UoOc9dsYF7cDajRE-_

I Loved this shot for the longest time. And out of context, seeing them walking down the corridor is pretty boss. I bummed it’s not in. 

5 hours ago, sadnews said:

@kelli101

I don't believe that it's first class good tho. the way they're "hiding" reactions.. it must be so bad.

no public screening, even social reaction embargo is a day before. they have extremely tight international embargo too.

I know several people that had seen the film in late 2018, noting how dark and intense it was. They all ranged it in the First Class area. That’s of course up to you to decide, to each their own :smile: 

One ominous thing about those screenings is that the movie was 2+ hours. My source is praying whatever was cut out, hasn’t effected the quality, because in their words “ it’s a great movie”.