Scooter Braun regrets buying Taylor swift masters

Happylittlepunk

spacer.png

“The regret I have there is that I made the assumption that everyone, once the deal was done, was going to have a conversation with me, see my intent, see my character, and say, great, let’s be in business together. And I made that assumption with people that I didn’t know.”

In 2019, music executive Scooter Braun purchased the master rights to Taylor Swift’s early albums after he acquired her former label, Big Machine Label Group. The move, which Swift called her “worst case scenario,” has led the pop star to re-record her music. Now, Braun has shared his perspective on the acquisition in a new interview with NPR. In an episode of the podcast The Limits With Jay Williams, Braun explained his “regrets” about how the situation was handled. Find the episode below.

When asked if he would have handled things with Swift differently, Braun responded, “Yes, I would have. I learned an important lesson from that.” He went on to explain, “I think that when you have a conflict with someone, it’s very hard to resolve it if you’re not willing to have a conversation. So the regret I have there is that I made the assumption that everyone, once the deal was done, was going to have a conversation with me, see my intent, see my character, and say, great, let’s be in business together. And I made that assumption with people that I didn’t know.”

Braun continued:

I think in any conflict, you can say, I didn’t do anything. It’s their fault. And you could be right. You could be justified. And you could say, this is unfair, I’m being treated unfairly, or you can say, OK, I’m being treated unfairly. I don’t like how this is feeling. I can’t fix this, so how am I going to look at it and learn from it? And I didn’t appreciate how that all went down. I thought it was unfair. But I also understand, from the other side, they probably felt it was unfair, too. So I choose to look at it as a learning lesson, a growing lesson, and I wish everyone involved well. And I’m rooting for everyone to win because I don’t believe in rooting for people to lose.

Last year, Hybe—the South Korean entertainment conglomerate formerly known as Big Hit Entertainment—acquired Braun’s Ithaca Holdings, including companies such as SB Projects and Big Machine Label Group, in a deal worth over $1 billion.

Taylor Swift will release her new album, Midnights, on October 21. She reportedly turned down an offer to perform at the Apple Music Super Bowl LVII Halftime Show in order to focus on re-recording her music. So far, Swift has shared Fearless (Taylor’s Version) and Red (Taylor’s Version).

https://pitchfork.com/news/scooter-braun-says-he-would-have-handled-taylor-swift-catalog-acquisition-differently/amp/

spacer.png

Edited by Happylittlepunk

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freakshowvato

• slw84

• PoisonedIvy

• Selenasworld

You manages Kanye West and Justin Bieber, how could you just assume Taylor wants to work with you? :skull:

So this went in a different direction

It's giving messy passive aggression vibes.

You made your money. Taylor wasn't allowed to buy her stuff.

Why are you still talking about it?

You knew it was because of some messy shade get back stuff.

It's been years...

Loser. 

He must have thought that taylor couldnt outsmart him :bibliahh:

Shut up. You still made mad money over it and handed them down to people that will see its worth decrease. If not for Taylor and fans handing him a stalemate with the re-recordings he wouldnt be out there trying to clean his image in the public opinion court

1 minute ago, BtDecember said:

You manages Kanye West and Justin Bieber, how could you just assume Taylor wants to work with you? :skull:

Because he didn't. Taylor was made cocky towards the likes of Bieber, Kanye and her label (and she had the right to be considering she made them alot of money).

They used this situation to get back at her because they knew she was going to leave and gave her a terrible option to buy her stuff back.

It's like when the housewives are given friend contracts so that Bravo can ensure they quit because after having a big housewife contract you don't accept a friend role for less pay and less power to have held over your head against cast mates.

Her label and Scooter were in cahoots...

Ricky Wilson

Honestly I wouldn’t be interested in owning those basic songs about quinceaneras with sub par vocals either

Does he get tired of pulling up to a publication every 6 months to straight up lie :deadbanana: it’s so funny how the new narrative he’s pushing completely contradicts the one he initially pushed back in 2019–20, proving Taylor was right (wbk, but :rip:

9 minutes ago, Ricky Wilson said:

Honestly I wouldn’t be interested in owning those basic songs about quinceaneras with sub par vocals either

You clown, he doesn’t regret it because he doesn’t want to own them, he regrets it because it ruined his image and it made him look like a shady businessman. He made a **** ton of money sadly and her catalogue, both old and new, is worth so so much that anyone who owns her masters is exorbitantly wealthy. F*cking dumb ass

and the quinceañera drag doesn’t even make sense, who tf is playing folklore or evermore or reputation at a quinceañera. Hell who is playing ANY Taylor music at a quince. It’s such racial ignorance I can’t even bother to debunk it.

Edited by WeFoundTrouble

Sadly Miss Swift makes and takes things personally.

He still made profit from it. This dramatic boy. :rip:

boo ******* hoo. this man cries about it every few months in a new interview.

the re-recordings are lowkey the best thing that has happened to her career after folklore so :siptea:

This clown I swear.

That infamous insta story with Justin Bieber says it all.

20 minutes ago, Ricky Wilson said:

I'm surprised you haven't been banned yet because all the comments I've seen from you so far are incendiary towards different mpgs/celebs.

Kuddos to you.

Of course he regrets it :rip: Not only it backfired tremendously and it made him look like an *******, it also literally consolidated Taylor’s dominance in today’s pop scenario with the re-recordings. She’s not going anywhere and she’ll stay winning for a least three more consecutive years by dropping those albums. 

If he was so intent on having a conversation why didn't he  seek it before the purchase?? 

he's really trying to paint her as the immature one and failing miserably

25 minutes ago, Ricky Wilson said:

:deadbanana:

29 minutes ago, Ricky Wilson said:

:toofunny3:

Sure Jan. You wanted to make a lot of money, got it, and you paid an even bigger price by losing your positive reputation. Sorry Scooter but there will be no lover era for you. Taylor won the war by doing the re-recordings 

32 minutes ago, Ricky Wilson said:

Unfortunately he was, that's why he paid +300M for them 

1 minute ago, MusicLoverDude said:

Sure Jan. You wanted to make a lot of money, got it, and you paid an even bigger price by losing your positive reputation. Sorry Scooter but there will be no lover era for you. Taylor won the war by doing the re-recordings 

Positive reputation.:lakitu:

Oh shut up, the fact that he wants to be a public figure and is so worried about his image is beyond ******* weird. You are a manager, and a horrible one at that considering he routinely runs his clients into the ground by over-working them :rip:

12 minutes ago, conquxror said:

Of course he regrets it :rip: Not only it backfired tremendously and it made him look like an *******, it also literally consolidated Taylor’s dominance in today’s pop scenario with the re-recordings. She’s not going anywhere and she’ll stay winning for a least three more consecutive years by dropping those albums. 

Stan teas. This would make sense if he snatch her catalog so that she can suffer and drop off the face of the planet which would not do well for the catalog.:lakitu:

But it was great to see Taylor maneuver into something that makes her rebrand the eras without label politics and compromises

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.