“Ex’s & Oh’s” turns 8

youngpopariana

On September 23, 2014, Elle King released “Ex’s & Oh’s” both simultaneously as her debut single and as the lead single off her first album ‘Love Stuff’.

King’s breakthrough hit was a slow burner commercially wise taking many months to gain momentum on the charts.

It didn’t enter the Billboard Hot 100 until late July 2015 and didn’t peak at #10 until late November of the same year becoming her first top 10 single. Till this day, it’s her only top 10 in the US. 

“Ex’s & Oh’s” charted for a total of 38 weeks on the BH100. 

It peaked at #1 on the Hot Rock & Alternative Songs chart.

Radio wise, It peaked #2 on the US Rock Airplay chart

It managed to crossover to pop audiences as it reached #1 on the US Adult Top 40 and #7 on the US Mainstream Top 40 charts.

Via the AC format , it peaked #6 on the US Adult Contemporary chart.

It also saw commercial success in other markets

The track peaked at #5 in Australia, at #10 in Germany, #5 in Austria, #15 in the UK, #3 in Scotland, #10 in New Zealand, #14 in Canada, #5 in Mexico, #4 in Israel, #1 in Iceland, #22 in Denmark, #28 in Ireland etc…

It ranked on the Year End Charts of the Billboard Hot 100 for two consecutive years :

#73 In 2015 and #63 in 2016. 

For the 2010s decade, Billboard ranked it #27 on the US Hot Rock Songs Chart. 

To this date, the song is certified 4x Platinum in the US, 3x Platinum in Australia, 5x Platinum in Canada, Platinum in the UK and many more. 

The global hit received 2 nominations at the 58th Grammy Awards for Best Rock Song and Best Rock Performance 

Personally  “Ex’s & Ohs” is not my usual type of bop but there’s something about that song draws me to it. I dig the vocal delivery so much. Elle King’s raspy vocals are very Joan Jett/LP-esque. It’s almost uncanny. 

I’m waiting for the day Miley stops playing and finally covers this jam that was LITERALLY made for her. I need my good sis to dabble into some of that feral blues rock. The serve that would be :WAP:

Edited by youngpopariana
wanted to add more stuff

A massive bop.

Her follow up hit Drunk and Don't Wanna Go Home was great too.

MadonnasBoyfriend

I heard that song yesterday at wawa and thought the lyrics were disgusting ? but I still bopped my head and got into it 

32 minutes ago, ithinkheknowsoutsold said:

A massive bop.

Her follow up hit Drunk and Don't Wanna Go Home was great too.

You have taste ! That song makes me feel like a feral bad bish. It makes want to get a divorce even tho I’m not married. That’s how much of a bop it is ! 

PS: Technically her follow up hit to “Ex’s & Oh’s” was a 2016 duet with Djerks Bentley titled “Different For Girls”. It peaked at #42 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #3 on the Hot Country Songs charts. 

“Drunk (And I Don’t Wanna Go Home)” was released like last year. A 7 years gap with her first hit. 

4 minutes ago, youngpopariana said:

You have taste ! That song makes me feel like a feral bad bish. It makes want to get a divorce even tho I’m not married. That’s how much of a bop it is ! 

PS: Technically her follow up hit to “Ex’s & Oh’s” was a 2016 duet with Djerks Bentley titled “Different For Girls”. It peaked at #42 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #3 on the Hot Country Songs charts. 

“Drunk (And I Don’t Wanna Go Home)” was released like last year. A 7 years gap with her first hit. 

Oh really? Different For Girls completely passed me by. I guess it makes sense for to have gotten a country radio number one this year after having gotten a decent hit there previously.

Thanks for letting me know <3

8 years? Time is passing by so fast!

25 minutes ago, ithinkheknowsoutsold said:

Oh really? Different For Girls completely passed me by. I guess it makes sense for to have gotten a country radio number one this year after having gotten a decent hit there previously.

Thanks for letting me know <3

Yeah it does make sense. I mean like you said, that 2016 song with was successful on the country charts so that made her gain momentum in that genre. I also think having an established country star singing with her helped the exposure for both “Different For Girls” and DAIDWGH.

Although, Elle King dabbles a lot in rock-ish and alternative music. I think a lot of her own solo stuff can be considered country-leaning. She also has the voice for it. No wonder why she seems to get embraced in that scene.

PS You’re welcome haha !

11 minutes ago, youngpopariana said:

I also think having an established country star singing with her helped the exposure for both “Different For Girls” and DAIDWGH.

Oh most definitely.

This was a bop! Love her vocal delivery. 

She was quoted in a magazine a few years ago saying she was writing for Christina’s new project. I don’t think anything ever came out. I think they would work great together. 

21 hours ago, Champagne said:

This was a bop! Love her vocal delivery. 

She was quoted in a magazine a few years ago saying she was writing for Christina’s new project. I don’t think anything ever came out. I think they would work great together. 

I wonder if the project in question was “Liberation” or some early demo of that album ? 

I fear their voices would sound to abrasive on a collab…

Such a good song! I only discovered it because Macy Gray sang it on the Masked Singer and I instantly loved it. 

I also sang it at some point in one.of my vocal lessons

Such a good song! I only discovered it because Macy Gray sang it on the Masked Singer and I instantly loved it. 

I also sang it at some point in one.of my vocal lessons

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.