Dahmer TV show slammed by family of victim for insensitivity

Jotham

He's criticism is that they faithfully recreated a scene from the trial..? That's literally what a movie/show based on real story is supposed to do.

I understand that it might be difficult for family members to watch it but there's nothing insensitive about this. 

Ryan Murphy is trash? We been knew

I remember when he did the OJ show hearing he didn't reach out to the victims families at all to hear their side of the story :biblio:

This is not documentary, we don't need their opinions about how they feel. If you don't want to be triggered, don't watch it, what's the problem here?

Besides, I haven't watched any shows about Dahmer, only heard about it in some videos about serial murders, so I don't think it's an overly exposed topic, at least to me.

This was bound to happen. The Dahmer crimes didn't happen too long ago, and I'm sure it's traumatizing to have this constant dialog on the worst moment of your life.

She is right, victim family and friends should be asked for approval beforehand. 

These are very traumatic time, they went through. Revisiting them can be triggering and depressing.

And also in age of social, it's not as simple as if you don't like it don't watch it. When their friends / family will be DMing them and these scenes are likely to be all over their timeline

Edited by zoldyck

I haven't seen the show (yet) but I had a feeling it would verge on being insensitive and/or glorifying given Ryan's usual style. I think the victims are rightfully upset about having to relive this for someone's entertainment

4 hours ago, Gui Blackout said:

He's criticism is that they faithfully recreated a scene from the trial..? That's literally what a movie/show based on real story is supposed to do.

I understand that it might be difficult for family members to watch it but there's nothing insensitive about this. 

I agree with this

4 hours ago, GipJo said:

This is not documentary, we don't need their opinions about how they feel. If you don't want to be triggered, don't watch it, what's the problem here?

Besides, I haven't watched any shows about Dahmer, only heard about it in some videos about serial murders, so I don't think it's an overly exposed topic, at least to me.

That clip was all over twitter tho...they are allowed to feel this way if they randomly see this clip where they don't expect to. Also how hard is to let the victims' families know and take their wishes into consideration. Not everything is about profit and sensation.

re: the documentary point - her scene was literally recreated second to second no difference. That is very triggering.

Edited by Wolf Alice

but does it really need to be re-done over and over every 5 years tho? after a certain point it does feel like this horrific story is being straight up glamorized and the extremely real traumas of these real families are being repeatedly exploited and mined for entertainment value by the industry and the public.

like, what do we as a society have to gain from this situation being back in headlines again? :rip: she has every right to be weirded out by this imo.

it's what you get for having trials be this publicised in america. this is not different than any of the 29834 other crime based bs especially real-crime bs that's hours long video essays or podcasts over analysing actual trial footage like the mental illness to get invested in stuff like this... 

a film depicting that is much tamer since it actually somewhat removed from reality compared to those real-crime podcasts imo.

Edited by DUA LIPA

4 hours ago, Dula Peep said:

Ryan Murphy is trash? We been knew

I remember when he did the OJ show hearing he didn't reach out to the victims families at all to hear their side of the story :biblio:

Remember when Naya Rivera died and Ryan proudly posted that he would donate money to her family and fund her sons education or something like that and her father exposed him for not even reaching out to them since. :doc:

2 hours ago, alejandreaux said:

but does it really need to be re-done over and over every 5 years tho? after a certain point it does feel like this horrific story is being straight up glamorized and the extremely real traumas of these real families are being repeatedly exploited and mined for entertainment value by the industry and the public.

like, what do we as a society have to gain from this situation being back in headlines again? :rip: she has every right to be weirded out by this imo.

I've never seen any film/doc about Dahmer. I knew he was a serial killer but that's pretty much it. I'm sure that's the case for a lot of people, especially younger ones. This Netflix show will be their first time a lot of us will really be learning about the whole story, and from I've read they make a big point of how the police and justice system failed the victims, which I think it's a good thing to be exposed in a big platform.

Again, I undertand why the family would feel this way, but they can't control media being made about these famous true crime cases. They're public domain now, it's part of history, and they'll always generate interest from the public. They can only hope that it's done tastefully, and so far I haven't seen anything that indicates this show didn't.

Edited by Gui Blackout

I've never seen any film/doc about Dahmer. I knew he was a serial killer but that's pretty much it. I'm sure that's the case for a lot of people, especially younger ones. This Netflix show will be their first time a lot of us will really be learning about the whole story, and from I've read they make a big point of how the police and justice system failed the victims, which I think it's a good thing to be exposed in a big platform.

Again, I undertand why the family would feel this way, but they can't control media being made about these famous true crime cases. They're public domain now, it's part of history, and they'll always generate interest from the public. They can only hope that it's done tastefully, and so far I haven't seen anything that indicates this show didn't.

i mean to be fair, the fact that some audiences haven’t seen the docs/films yet doesn’t mean his victims’ families haven’t had to deal with the numerous high profile re-introductions to the man that permanently traumatized them, bringing their worst nightmare back into the mainstream in the process every time.

i do understand your point that it’s public domain and i don’t think any one’s trying to get it taken off the air or anything, i just think after a certain point the families do have a right to call out the entertainment industry/public’s continued obsession with this storyline for being weird and excessive, that’s all.

the true crime fever has honestly gone too far. it's exhausting. :rip:

Are we surprised? America is the only country that immortalize serial killers as legends and epic characters. The fact that Hollywood thought it was a good idea to capitalise on individuals who committed heinous crimes and then not keep them within the realm of facts via a documentary.

Biopics should never be about individuals who exist in the Realm of Infamy. It makes those individuals into not so bad guys and sympathetic characters despite how hard you try to make them despicable.

Edited by Phaunzie

Yeah, these shows that glorify the murderer are so gross. I've watched some edits romanticizing  the scene where he hooks up with a 14yo over tiktok, so creepy.

Edited by M André

Those of you here acting like the literal families of these poor victims are somehow ridiculous for being hurt by this series are very, very strange.

It must be so traumatizing to witness this depiction of their own child’s murder and cannabilization. And the series very much focuses it’s lens on Dahmer himself and his childhood, almost instilling empathy in us for him and yet the victims are so rarely talked about and there’s little to no backstory on any of them. The only people this show should be revolving around are the victims and any and all details involving the murder of these men should 100% have been pre-approved by the families. The fact that it wasn’t is disgusting and unethical. 

The series was entertaining, sure, and that’s exactly why they made it- because it’s disturbing and interesting. But that’s all it is. There’s very little care and thought put toward honoring the victims. It seems unnecessary. 

On 9/23/2022 at 1:40 AM, GipJo said:

This is such an insensitive and weird comment. :rip:

MadonnasBoyfriend

I bet she watched every epsidode and was proud of the scene when she saw it cause it was powerful and beautifully done 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.