Billboard to replace BDSradio (Nielsen) with Mediabase's airplay data

Ger

The public FAQ sheet for the deal notes that it is not a merger of the two brands, but “a partnership to provide mutual clients with the best data and product offerings possible”. It does not provide information on whether stations which are monitored by BDSradio, but not Mediabase will be added noting that the stations should reach out to Mediabase for information.

Luminate states that it will continue to integrate radio airplay into its broader music consumption offerings with details on specific products and features in the near future. It also notes that the Billboard charts will continue to utilize different panels than Mediabase’s charts, however there may be an adjustment period within Billboard based on the stations that are currently monitored.

Article

MEDIABASE TO REPLACE BDS ON LUMINATE

Because Mediabase’s audience is bigger than that of BDS, radio thus earns a slightly larger piece of the Hot 100 pie—which means radio becomes more important. That’s good for the weasels and really good for Mediabase President/CEO Philippe Generali and EVP Global Music Marketing and Strategy Alissa Pollack (pictured), the industry-facing person who’s been fighting this fight for years. We congratulate both for achieving their long-sought goal.

Today’s announcement also reveals Luminate’s plans to modernize its client and user platform, which will house all of the company’s data offerings. Mediabase is the first of numerous data partners that will contribute intelligence to the new Luminate platform, slated to launch in 2023.

FdRO7I6WAAQnJiu?format=jpg&name=large

Full FAQ sheet can be read here.

Edited by Ger-55

Are they gonna use Mediabase's recurrency rules too now?

Edited by ithinkheknowsoutsold

31 minutes ago, Green said:

What? OMG :eek:

So that means airplay audience will be bigger now?

Wondering the same thing.

53 minutes ago, Green said:

What? OMG :eek:

So that means airplay audience will be bigger now?

I think so, airplay is going to weight even more, ATRL is fuming.

35 minutes ago, Ger-55 said:

omg stop the count 

Nice. Can't wait for songs being streamed by 500 people but with 300M audience from radio clogging the top 10 for weeks.  

Dua's first No.1 is confirmed with this, radio and the GP loves ha :clap3:

I think Billboard has to raise the radio divisor to lower the weight of radio, if they want the Hot 100 to remain credible. The Hot 100 has been inaccurate over the last 5 years because Billboard has failed to adjust radio's weight to account for its decline in the music industry's changing landscape. Mood being ranked ahead of Perfect and Sunflower on Billboard's all-time should point out how inaccurate the Hot 100 has been over the last 5 years.

Does anyone know why they are partnering? Just curious why Billboard would do this. Not necessarily against it by any means just want to know the reasoning behind the decision 

They need to make the Airplay chart a bigger fixture and make the Hot 100 consumption based (Sales & streams) like most other international singles charts.

Otherwise we could end up with the #1 song on sales & streaming struggling to break into the top 10. :rip:

hmmm, so more power to the radio? :swan: Who's paying scamboard to do this, radio isn't even a fair way to determine the popularity of a song. First they killed the stan sales and now this

1 hour ago, Ger-55 said:

Rightfully so. This is only gonna stagnant the charts even more :rip: half a year long #1s here we come :rip:

1 hour ago, Taylena said:

Nice. Can't wait for songs being streamed by 500 people but with 300M audience from radio clogging the top 10 for weeks.  

does that mean country is going to take over?

Mariah's record for the longest 1# will be tossed around even more huh :rip:

anyways, We need a lowering of radio and increasing of sales, for the Charts!

the way they are just giving into more payola

they really don't want stans to have any power huh, just their shady business

If this is good for my faves, hooray justice was done!

If this is bad for my faves, boo we want Billboar dismantled! 

45 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

Mariah's record for the longest 1# will be tossed around even more huh :rip:

anyways, We need a lowering of radio and increasing of sales, for the Charts!

the way they are just giving into more payola

they really don't want stans to have any power huh, just their shady business

I agree that radio should be lowered, but sales have been dead for some time. It's very rare these days for a #1 on the sales chart to be #1 on the Hot 100. There have even been some times when the #1 on sales doesn't even make the Hot 100. I think it's time for sales to stop counting on the Hot 100. I'd like the Hot 100 to be weighed 75-80% streaming and 20-25% radio.

1 hour ago, pride4jc1222 said:

I agree that radio should be lowered, but sales have been dead for some time. It's very rare these days for a #1 on the sales chart to be #1 on the Hot 100. There have even been some times when the #1 on sales doesn't even make the Hot 100. I think it's time for sales to stop counting on the Hot 100. I'd like the Hot 100 to be weighed 75-80% streaming and 20-25% radio.

That's exactly why they should count tho

they are prolly the hardest to get (and ofc I dont mean a song to shoot up to the top 40 just because of 1k sales) but as u said - THE biggest selling song of the week not even getting a PLACE on the Hot100, is pretty stupid.

Im not even saying that they should have more power than radio/streaming lol

9 hours ago, Ger-55 said:

I assume this change will come with a formula adjustment. Billboard's just changing providers for the data, I doubt their intention is to suddenly make radio 30% more powerful on the charts.

They should readjust the formula

Streaming ^^^

Sales = or ^

Radio v

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.