Christina really ate here

manwhore

Why did the song underperform in the US? Based on the charts, it was number 1 EU Top 100, not everyone has that. The song was pretty big in Asia too. 

even Aint no other man didn’t reach top 5 also surprised me a lot. Both songs are among her best. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dirrtydiana

• Distantconstellation

• manwhore

• lestat111

such a smash. I remember this being bigger than ANOM and Candyman here. sad that I wasn't into it back in the day. it took time to appreciate this masterpiece.

1 hour ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

long breaks. fans waited four years from stripped (2002) - back to basics (2006) and another four years until bionic (2010)

nobody can survive such long breaks, only adele

this part is kinda false, janet jackson had album with number one hit(s) with 4 years breaks in 1989, 1993, 1997 and 2001.

Such a great and underrated ballad. She really did that and still she refuses to perform it live. I don't care if she lower the key or even lipsync the hardest parts I want a Hurt performance

She needs to perform this masterpiece again.

9 hours ago, lestat111 said:

this part is kinda false, janet jackson had album with number one hit(s) with 4 years breaks in 1989, 1993, 1997 and 2001.

Yeah but each era kept getting smaller and smaller too. Also most of those era were pre-social media, pre-internet. By 1999/2000 fans wanted to know what u were doing all the time. The breaks definitely affected her

She did. Probably her peak tbh and the last beautiful ballad released as a single by any other pop girl I can think of

42 minutes ago, Distantconstellation said:

Yeah but each era kept getting smaller and smaller too. Also most of those era were pre-social media, pre-internet. By 1999/2000 fans wanted to know what u were doing all the time. The breaks definitely affected her

Xtina is NOT from the social media age (post 2010s). In 2000 mystery boosted celebrity and kept people wanting more. Lotus, if that, is her only social media age release so your post makes no sense

One of my favorite songs ever. I love the way she uses her voice in this one. 

8 hours ago, americanlife said:

she ate the oreos and spilled the milk

:dies:

OT: cute sing, but Mercy on Me outsold :cm: I really need to revist her best album - Back to Basics, though!

For sure, one of the best songs ever! The other girls weren't seeing her.

42 minutes ago, Distantconstellation said:

Xtina is NOT from the social media age (post 2010s). In 2000 mystery boosted celebrity and kept people wanting more. Lotus, if that, is her only social media age release so your post makes no sense

This song hits me so much harder these days. One of the few that makes me emotional every time. Just a flawless and evocative vocal performance from Xtina here :cries:

She's the QUEEN of SOULFUL ballads. I love her vocal delivery here so much, from soft to powerful to soft again. It's soooo gooooooood...

4 hours ago, dirrtydiana said:

Yeah but in 2000s blogs were the it thing and myspace was a thing. I was using the internet since 1998 to keep track of celebrities

3 hours ago, Distantconstellation said:

Yeah but in 2000s blogs were the it thing and myspace was a thing. I was using the internet since 1998 to keep track of celebrities

those were in their infancies. artists relied on tv interviews and documentaries like mtv making the video and mtv diaries 

for example, i can only think of brit who was the front runner on the internet front with her site getting millions of hits both in 99 and 06 with her letters. Boys getting downloaded on iTunes like 1M times in 2002, etc

myspace benefited upcoming and unknowns like jefree star 

and from 99-10 xtina had more releases than brit so the king break thing doesn’t apply to x in any way shape or form

Oh, I thought this would be about her inSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDEEEEEEEEEeee from Reflection 2020 

But Hurt did eat. She did. Christina has been on my mind lately. Loyal Brave True is great hope she's doing good. 

Christina has many great ballads, but this one is truly incredible. The vulnerability and power captured in her voice :cries:

It’s such a heavy song though, aside from vocal technique, just in terms of raw emotion. It isn’t something that can just be sung off the bat.

I think, some deep wounds or experiences needs to be revisited/accessed to do it any justice. I understand why she hasn’t performed it in recent years. I find it difficult to listen to unless in the right environment or mind frame. 

Edited by FOCK

She was kinda struggling in this performance, but the song is just a huge power ballad. Love it, and her vocal grit made this song extra hard to perform live.

One of the best ballads of 00s.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.