Is Positions the worst popgirl album of 2020?

GentleDance

It's a lot better than Sawayama. That was SO overrated by critics. That score is laughable honestly. If a pop girl who isn't taken as seriously and didn't have an "indie" aesthetic veneer, like Madison Beer or Sabrina Carpenter, had released the same album it wouldn't have crossed 65.

Also I love Kesha but High Road was complete garbage and has the worst mixing I've ever heard, that score is way overinflated too.

Edited by Beyonnaise

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sazare

• The Music Industry

• KatyPrismSpirit

• PoisonedIvy

57 minutes ago, NewStanner said:

Glad that someone enjoyed the dog barking noises :clap3:

Lotusaguilera.jpegChristina_Aguilera_-_Bionic_(album).png220px-Katy_Perry_-_Smile.pngKaty_Perry_-_Witness_(Official_Album_Cov

There's nothing cringy about the songs posted by that user, but there's a lot of cringe in your faves' recent outputs for sure :cm:

OT: No, it's one of the best

No idea what posting these excellent albums is trying to prove! Pissitions = garbaj! :matty:

Plastic Hearts being that low on the list is abysmal :rip:it feels like critics critique Miley’s personal life instead of the quality of the music itself

OT: Yes the album aged like milk literally erased it from my mind 

atleast 16 of the mentioned albums are worse than it so no

That list is messy and not accurate, EXCEPT for putting POSitions dead last. A tragic album and truly one of the weakest musical offerings I've ever tried to get through from an A-list pop girl. 

57 minutes ago, UnusualBoy said:

Not the worst but it's actually pretty bad and mediocre. I can't wrap my head around the fact that someone as vocally gifted as Ariana releases such a bland music, not saying she should be singing ballads like Adele but something out of the box or that makes her voice shine more.

While I don't agree with positions being bad even in the slightest, I think you made a point with her doing something more outside the box and using her voice a lot more, I've been dying for a heartfelt, emotional power ballad a la My All or I Have Nothing from her, since she's gifted and capable of doing that. Maybe it won't be as strong as something from Whitney or Mariah, but she can definitely give it a try. 

Songs like Off The Table or My Everything are an indicator that she can indeed successfully record those type of songs, just give it a little bit more emotion to make it "catchy" and single worthy. 

Edited by genio

Rare, Chromatica, Punisher, What’s Your Pleasure, and what little of folklore that I was able to force myself to listen to are all worse.

50 minutes ago, Ewan Chaos said:

No :deadbanana: Literally first thing I thought of was Ava's album being worse and then looking at that truncated list High Road is definitely worse than Positions too. 

WYP being only 72 is a ******* disaster btw.

Heaven & Hell is better than over half of that list.

not when Heaven & Hell, Smile, and Rare all exist.

its probably on par with Plastic Hearts and Chromatica

I think positions would also have been way better received by the pop community if it was cut shorter, maybe to 10 tracks and a different, more dreamy cover (I still love the OG though):

Ariana Grande - Positions Cover (7 von 46) | Last.fm

tracklist

1. someone like u (intro)

2. motive (feat. Doja Cat)

3. test drive

4. 34+35

5. worst behavior

6. just like magic

7. positions

8. safety net

9. off the table

10. pov

This way it would also have a theme and follow the circle of a relationship/love life concept. Meeting, falling in love and having fun, questioning the relationship and the closing turning into a happy ending. 

2 hours ago, BloodLuster said:

op serving taste as always (except when it comes to blue banisters) :clap3:

pure garbage as the rest of her discog.

We both only stan talent :heart:

I may have not made my self clear enough in the OP, but the list is from the Metacritic, not my ranking :rip:

Also, the users thinking that position > WYP, Sawayama, FTBC, Good News... please :priceless:

12 minutes ago, Wayfarer said:

Yes, it's garbage like the rest of her "music"

3 of her 6 albums are universally acclaimed, delusional!

No i mean most pop albums automatically get a 70+ on metacritic now

no! it did take me a while to get into it, but it's not a bad album at all

QkEMz7m.gif

People stanning singers with 2 octave ranges getting brave when most pop girls could never even sing something as classic as the title track. :deadbanana4:

On 9/22/2022 at 7:25 AM, RihFenty20 said:

That’s not the drag you think it is. Rihanna’s music is anything but those adjectives, but you already knew that. Either way, you should be the last person speaking on anyone’s music when your fav has been making the same song since 2006. That’s the point. Stick to pretending her music is good and stop speaking on people who are actually talented :rip:

Rihanna's music is made by other peoplr which means its uninspired :monkey:

What a dumb comment to make when your fave dont even bother to make her own music

the audacity some of u have to trash Rare when we know must of u are only doing so cuz it didn't have an era and Selena was with 0% energy and yep kinda boring that time... 

doesn't change the fact that "Souvenir", "Lose You To Love Me", "Feel Me" and "Vulnerable" alone are better than full albums listed on the OP 

:deadbanana2: it's a pretty good pop album. 

Positions aged well and aged poorly for me at the same time lmao

i was BOPPING to it like 6 months after it's release so i got a "aged like wine" felling, cuz i liked it way more than first listen 

but now i never listen to it anymore, even Sweetener has more daily streams from me

Safety Net and Pov tho, flawless tracks. 

Edited by Selegend

it’s definitely not as awful as smile but it is pretty bad. worst behavior is a smash and career highlight though so hooray for the deluxe edition 

18 hours ago, Sazare said:

Rare, Chromatica, Punisher, What’s Your Pleasure, and what little of folklore that I was able to force myself to listen to are all worse.

ok edgelord

Edited by Wolf Alice

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.