Is Positions the worst popgirl album of 2020?

GentleDance

On Metacritic :

1. Fetch the Bolt Cutters 98

5. Punisher 90

9. Sawayama 89

11. Women in Music, Part lll 89

13. folklore 88

15. Future Nostalgia 88

45. Good News 85

50. evermore 85

72. What's Your Pleasure 84

79. Petals for Armor 83

212. Chromatica 79

213. Dedicated Side B 79 

233. Miss Anthropocene 79

275. Alicia 77

312. Rare 76

341. Plastic Hearts 75

382. High Road 73

403. Positions 72

It's ranked 403 out of 465 entries on Metacritic's 2020 list, thoughts?  

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sazare

• The Music Industry

• KatyPrismSpirit

• PoisonedIvy

I’m sure there’s something worse (Heaven & Hell, Smile) but yea it’s pretty bad. It’s in the bottom 10 for sure. It reminds me so much of Bieber’s “Changes” album. God so uninspired, reductive, flavorless, and bland, and such step downs from their previous albums :rip: 

Edited by WeFoundTrouble

It’s definitely a strong contender. 

Sidenote: I didn’t realize Fiona had lost her perfect score. Good.

No, y’all just have a weird hate boner for it. 

Love Language, Nasty, Obvious, Safety Net, Positions, West Side, Off the Table, etc are career highlights 

22 minutes ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

I’m sure there’s something worse (Heaven & Hell, Smile) but yea it’s pretty bad. It’s in the bottom 10 for sure. It reminds me so much of Bieber’s “Changes” album. God so uninspired, reductive, flavorless, and bland, and such step downs from their previous albums :rip: 

A Swifties talking about flavorless… chyuh 

am I the only one who really loved this album. sure it has some filler tracks (a great 10 track album is in there), but I really enjoyed this album and it brings back good memories of 2020 for me. 

No, it is at least better than Chromatica and Rare

3 minutes ago, Roman Holiday said:

No, y’all just have a weird hate boner for it. 

:cm:

Not when evermore and rare exist. Those are albums I’d have to be forced to listen through a second time. 

plastic hearts being so low just proves how pointless metacritic can be. 

West Side alone makes the album wonderful. 

its cute but its aged pretty fast. maybe some antioxidant, sunscreen and new producers are needed.

9 minutes ago, Roman Holiday said:

A Swifties talking about flavorless… chyuh 

Defend the album without deflecting babe. Positions is flavorless and if you think Taylor’s music is too that’s fine I’m not here to try and change your mind. It doesn’t change what I said about Positions. Now TUN and sweetener, those albums have heart and soul and flavor in them.

35 minutes ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

You literally stan Taylor Swift. Pls get some self awareness and look in the mirror before you call anyone’s music “uninspired, reductive, flavorless, and bland”

OT: I personally don’t like the album outside of a few songs. But, I don’t think it was judged fairly. Like how is Rare rated higher than it for example. Either way, critics don’t matter. It outstreamed most of the albums in this list. So, it won in the end, regardless of what those old losers think. 

Edited by RihFenty20

Just now, RihFenty20 said:

You literally stan Taylor Swift. Pls get some self awareness and look in the mirror before you call anyone’s music “uninspired, reductive, flavorless, and bland”

OT: I personally don’t like the album outside of a few songs. But, I don’t think it was judged fairly. Like how is Rare rated higher than it for example. Either way, critics don’t matter. It streamed most of the albums in this list so it won in the end regardless of what those old losers think. 

& You literally stan Rihanna, please get some self awareness and look in the mirror before you continue to parade around that Taylor’s music is “uninspired, reductive, flavorless, and bland” :ahh: Y’all can’t even defend Positions without deflecting to Taylor because, as the rest of your post said, the album is not good outside of a very select few songs. The album was uninspired and bland and flavorless and no amount of deflection can change that.

7 minutes ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

& You literally stan Rihanna, please get some self awareness and look in the mirror before you continue to parade around that Taylor’s music is “uninspired, reductive, flavorless, and bland” :ahh: Y’all can’t even defend Positions without deflecting to Taylor because, as the rest of your post said, the album is not good outside of a very select few songs. The album was uninspired and bland and flavorless and no amount of deflection can change that.

That’s not the drag you think it is. Rihanna’s music is anything but those adjectives, but you already knew that. Either way, you should be the last person speaking on anyone’s music when your fav has been making the same song since 2006. That’s the point. Stick to pretending her music is good and stop speaking on people who are actually talented :rip:

Edited by RihFenty20

No. It's actually the best album on this list :heart:

Edited by Felipesf

Wasn't Positions just TUN tracks that didn't make TUN? It's definitely Ariana's most uninspired Album.

1 minute ago, RihFenty20 said:

That’s not the drag you think it is. Rihanna’s music is anything but those adjectives, but you already knew that. Either way, you should be the last person speaking on anyone’s music when your fav has been making the same song since 2006. That’s the point. Stick to pretending her music is good and keep talented singers’ out of your mouth. :rip:

Keep saying it, keep trying, maybe just  maybe you’ll convince somebody other than yourself. :ahh:

I don’t have to pretend anything. Music is subjective & I love music from many different artists, Rih included, Ari included. The subject of this thread is Positions, so I said what I had to say about the album. 

Yes. It reminds me so much of Bieber’s “Changes” album. God so uninspired, reductive, flavorless, and bland, and such step downs from their previous albums

It's definitely the most forgotten about. I actually forgot it was released in 2020. :rip: 

Oh, no, not by a long shot. I prefer it over like 13 other albums on that list alone. Positions has been unfairly maligned since release when it’s really an excellent album.

No, but I also see that list places What’s Your Pleasure behind Good News so I’m inclined to believe it’s inaccurate :bird: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.