Bigger & better: As It Was vs We Belong Together

Ger

AIW vs WBT  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger

2. 2. Better

Harry_Styles_-_As_It_Was.pngWe_Belong_Together_Mariah_Carey.png

Harry Styles' mega smash "As It Was" reigns for a 14th week on Hot 100, tying Mariah Carey's "We Belong Together" for the longest running solo number-one hit this century.

Which one do you prefer or do you consider bigger?

Edited by Ger-55

Harry Styles is the Gen Z Mariah Carey :clap3:

if ASS gets voted song of the decade as WBT was, I'll change my vote

WBT is better but AIW is bigger, AIW has been 24 weeks in the top 3 and I think 21-22 weeks in the top 2, that's insane and you can't use the radio excuse here because that was the reason why WBT has such a lengthy reign.

Mariah sweetie... 

As much as I hate to say it, I think AIW is bigger :rip: WBT has the edge in the US, but I’m sure Harry rinses WW 

completely not deserved 

However, We Belong Together is an enduring classic and is the perfect song. Harry can’t even dream of writing a track that good. 

We Belong Together was only huge in the US, and only because of radio. In actual sales, it sold the same or less than way “lesser” hits (Hung Up, which peaked at #7 in the Hot 100, sold more digital sales).

As It Was was (and still is) a complete monster in streaming, sales and radio. And it is actually a global #1 smash everywhere.

Unless you're an OMCH and/or don't appreciate quality R&B, it's obvious which one is the better song. "We Belong Together" is a masterclass in songwriting, vocal performance, and melodies. It captures the universal theme of longing while featuring Mariah's unique musical trademarks throughout. 

Meanwhile, the other one is a bland, damn near corporate attempt to recapture the success of "Blinding Lights", but lacking the adrenaline, euphoria, and personality that made The Weeknd's hit such an instant classic. I actually love many of Harry's songs, don't get me wrong, but "As It Was" is an immense disappointment and a disservice to his talent.

As for which song is bigger, I was admittedly too young to experience "We Belong Together" 's prime, but I think "As It Was" ' stats are being heavily inflated by the stagnation of the current mainstream scene, and the fact its main competitors (Bad Bunny's "Me Porto Bonito" and "Tití Me Preguntó" + Steve Lacy's "Bad Habit") simply don't have the radio presence to put a fair fight (and conversely, "Sunroof" has the radio but is lagging on streaming). "STAY" - a much better BL-inspired tune - felt bigger in comparison, and its several weeks in the top 2 felt more earned, especially knowing it had to deal with Drake, BTS/Coldplay, Adele, and Taylor Swift but still held strong throughout.

Just my take on it :foxaylove2:

AIW is a global smash hit. WBT is a local smash hit.

Also, AIW will outsell (or has already outsold) WBT in the US.

WBT is better though.

AIW unfortunately

That Xmas' lady only global hit and with longevity, that wasn't heavily fueled by radio and payola is AIWFCIY

Is this a serious question? :biblio:

The only reason "As It Was" did as good as it did is because this year hasn't had that many massive releases or viral trends. It's been pretty boring so far...

As #1t Was wins :clap3: 

32 minutes ago, NausAllien said:

Is this a serious question? :biblio:

The only reason "As It Was" did as good as it did is because this year hasn't had that many massive releases or viral trends. It's been pretty boring so far...

The same tired excuse:deadbanana2:

AIW completely demolishes that local hit. WBT was big in the U.S., but it didn't do anything in Europe (year-end charts: Sweden #57, Germany #92, the Netherlands #41) 

1 hour ago, Brishka said:

WBT was big in the U.S., but it didn't do anything in Europe (year-end charts: Sweden #57, Germany #92, the Netherlands #41) 

It was the BIGGEST SONG of the DECADE in the US, the biggest market in the world. It also didn't do that bad in Europe, as it made it to #45 in the European Hot 100 Singles Year-End chart. 

Bigger: As It was easily globally - #1 in 20+ countries vs. like 3 countries for WBT (WBT was bigger in the USA though)

Better: WBT obviously 

We Belong Together by MILES for both, like i was a 1st grade elementary school kid from 3rd world country and knew the song and heard it everywhere even though i didn't follow western music:jonny3: a huge WW classic, blocked several huge songs on Hot 100 including her own too

meanwhile, As It Wasn't only took advantage of the emptiness of singles chart these days, like you can see the weekly chart points are literally weak

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.