SG Lewis - 'AudioLust & HigherLove'

bitchfit

Wish Pineapple Slice was on this as well.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MusicIsMyMaster

• juancsantoyo

• BlackoutZone

• mystery

2 hours ago, RideOrDie said:

this is a great album

Comparing to Times?

On 10/12/2022 at 10:39 AM, RideOrDie said:

this is a great album

?

• 3 months later...

Im not hearing the evolution in side from "times." it just sounds like bonus songs from the first album. Which dont get me wrong they're great. BUt I just wish there would've been new nuances of sound design and vibes. 

Edited by MusicIsMyMaster

What an incredible album. Another Life might be his best song ever.

5 hours ago, mystery said:

What an incredible album. Another Life might be his best song ever.

i enjoyed every song except for Holding On and Oh Laura. it was a great listen

Truly his best work, still obsessed with it. Holding On fighting for pop soty, he needs more guitar in his future music

Can't wait to listen tonight. I know king will deliver (as usual)

2 hours ago, GardenPanty said:

i enjoyed every song except for Holding On and Oh Laura. it was a great listen

how do you not enjoy soty

54 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

how do you not enjoy soty

His vocal delivery and the summery heat evoking guitar solo on Holding On is just... what a hot song. :gaycat2:

A little disappointed. I guess the best material was released with the singles and I thought the album tracks would match that level but it does not. :(

Also, I feel like the 3 minute mark does not suit his production style at all, he is at his best with the 5+ minutes songs. Plain Sailing should have been twice as long for instance. 

It’s snowing like **** here in Japan rn and I’m on back to back weekend trips to hot springs towns in the snow … this album couldn’t be less appropriate for right now :lmao: but I absolutely adore it. Once the weather picks up this’ll be my late spring album for sure

Wow Another Life could be 20 minutes and I wouldn't have noticed :jamming: 

Amazing album as expected. It feels like a natural evolution after Times, the sound is similar but this time it’s much more refined and well thought. 

Out of the new songs, my favorites are Holding On (that guitar!), Another Life and Plain Sailing. I love this last one especially, it has such a beautiful nostalgic and summery vibe 

5 minutes ago, Mark Rih said:

Amazing album as expected. It feels like a natural evolution after Times, the sound is similar but this time it’s much more refined and well thought. 

Out of the new songs, my favorites are Holding On (that guitar!), Another Life and Plain Sailing. I love this last one especially, it has such a beautiful nostalgic and summery vibe 

Yeah he’s the perfect example of honing his craft and making music true to his brand but adding little things to make it stand out. A true natural progression. I can’t wait to blast these songs all summer and get into the intricacies of the production :jonnycat:

Such a great album. Holding On sounds like something The Weeknd would come up with. And that’s a very good thing.

he’s unfortunately slightly late to the 80s nostalgia wave, but he pulls it off much better than most did and finds ways to make it sound fresh still

I have some thoughts...

Intro - Not sure what he's trying to do here. This may work live, but on the album it doesn't add something to Infatuation's epicness.

Infatuation - My favourite song by him. Fantastic opener, sums up his style, a little disco, a little pop and a huge chorus.

Holding On - Reminds me of Heartbreak On The Dancefloor, but as a happier version. The 80s influences are strong on this album.

Call On Me - Speaking of the 80s... As expected, it fits much better on his album than Dirt Femme. An obvious pop hit.

Oh Laura - This is the moment I realize that he sings A LOT of the songs compared to Times. I don't mind his voice, he can sound amazing, but I feel like a guest vocalist could've done this with more oomph. It's a cute breakup song, but it has a terrible fisadvantage being sandwiched between two highlights.

Missing You - I mean, after several months I can't think of anything bad to say. A certified bop. The cynical lyrics are too sweet. Also a great ending to the 80s arc of the album.

Another Life - Yes, this could've been on Times, although on the more progressive side of Times that didn't cater to pop radio. 

Fever Dreamer - Love it. The bass is heavenly, this is what a great deep cut should be.

Epiphany - Well, I didn't expect a 9 minute instrumental hiding inbetween the tracklist. I don't like admitting that he was right making it that long. Holy cowbell.

Lifetime - If he he hadn't said this is his favourite song I would've thought he hates it because putting it after Epiphany is a cruel fate. You can only lose. And the song is too good to lose, I can understand why he wanted to sing it. This is a perfect example how he uses his style from Times, but made it bigger and brighter.

Plain Sailing - 

This Cher ca. 2000 beat is a kii. I guess it's a grower.

Vibe Like This - Another good album track. At least Samuel still knows he can't sing on EVERY song.

Different Light - What a wasted song. Absolutely fascinating beat, hypnotic even. Mysterious lyrics and an appealing vocal performance... But for whatever reason it turns out to be an interlude. Did they run out of time to finish this?

SAYL - Can't find any words, couldn't tell you what makes it perfect. This grew massively on me.

Honest - Fall's more laid-back sister. After bitching a bit about Samuel George singing much more on this album, this proves that he has a point.

To conclude, we will be playing Samuel George Lewis' new album a lot in this household. He certainly expanded his sound, which will make the next album a huge challenge if he doesn't want to get lost in all his influences. It will also be interesting to see whether it will age as good as Times. But for now, he has delivered.

Edited by The Next Day

32 minutes ago, The Next Day said:

Different Light - What a wasted song. Absolutely fascinating beat, hypnotic even. Mysterious lyrics and an appealing vocal performance... But for whatever reason it turns out to be an interlude. Did they run out of time to finish this?

Straight up my only problem with the album. This doesn't even feel like an interlude, it feels like a song idea that started and just got thrown here unfinished. A huge shame, obsessed with the vibe

Wow the chorus of Infatuation is the best I’ve heard for a while… :jonny5: so simple and immediate yet little different.. love it so much :heart:

This is so good. :jonny: I wasn't really connecting with the singles, but they make way more sense in the context of the album. Epiphany is so brilliant. :jonny:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.