Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story | Cooper Koch & Nicholas Alexander Chavez

genetic fail

MadonnasBoyfriend
Just now, Buddy said:

No judgment here, although I don't think one can argue that the Jeffrey Dahmer story lacks content. It could have been just as entertaining sticking to events as they happened, but now lacks credibility. 

All or most true crime shows admit fiction is added in whether it's before or after the film or both for dramatic purposes. Most people know this going in and are OK with details being altered to create a Fuller more entertaining story. No judgment but people should know this by now

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• genetic fail

• Gossip_Boy

• James_Dean

• Leptine

1 hour ago, Buddy said:

My only criticism having finished this series is that Glenda Cleveland was never Jeffrey's neighbor (in fact, she lived in an entirely separate building across the street) but one of the two woman who called police for the 14-year-old victim. 

There were countless victims with layered backstories deserving of episode dedications and Cleveland may have been one, so why falsely represent her legacy with fictional narratives?

My guess is Ryan felt he needed a protagonist and vehicle to implement the case's many elements of racial injustice. But that could have easily been accomplished simply by sticking to events as they truthfully happened. 

Yeah I feel the same. Couldn’t believe all the focus (Too much) on her and the story is mostly fiction. 

2 hours ago, MadonnasBoyfriend said:

All or most true crime shows admit fiction is added in whether it's before or after the film or both for dramatic purposes. Most people know this going in and are OK with details being altered to create a Fuller more entertaining story. No judgment but people should know this by now

Well I didn't :sorry:

12 hours ago, St. Francis said:

This was so hard to watch.

It must be the charm because how else was Jeffrey attracting all these victims? 

it must be the cash cuz it ain’t the face! It must be the cash cuz it ain’t the face!

on Episode 3- liking it so far but ppl are right to say a lot of us are already familiar with the story. Episode 2 already being about that boy kinda surprised me because I thought he was one of the later victims. 

I’ll keep watching.

4 hours ago, Yawn said:

just finished ep 6. slowly getting through but it’s definitely too heavy to binge. really phenomenal so far tho. 

i’ve got some questions in my mind and google hasn’t had an answer so far… i will wait until the end of the season to discuss if the show hasn’t addressed it by then. :coffee2:

I'm really curious to what your question is.

I like how every episode highlights the absolute failure of the justice system

3 hours ago, i spit on haters said:

I'm really curious to what your question is.

ok so my question in all of this is - did the cops not have a suspicion that there was a serial killer at large? all of these men disappearing from the same(?) bar. the first time the show has majorly addressed a missing person is the deaf guy. 

i understand that the police f*cked up big time on multiple occasions and their failure is a major theme throughout the series, but was there any investigation from the cops with regards to a serial killer or did they even identify all of these missing persons collectively and link them? 

not to mention that Jeff isn’t exactly ‘smart’ about how he is committing these murders - it’s practically in plain sight for anyone paying attention. he’s picking up men from a gay bar and then they disappear after leaving with him. 

i even wonder if the community at that bar knew something was going on. even when we consider the men being drugged and him being banned from the bathhouse so early on in the story. did none of these gays talk and gossip about the other regulars at their bar? :rip: 

1 hour ago, Wizard said:

his victims weren't all from that one bar as it appears in the show, they were from many different bars, clubs, parties, malls, etc. i think some he would just approach on the street and offer money. as for the police, it was the 80s/early 90s involving gay black men in a poor neighborhood... they likely just didn't care/didn't notice :chick3: the policework is probably one of the most horrific details of this case tbh

ahh makes more sense that in reality he was finding the men at different locations 

Dahmer: Monster – The Jeffrey Dahmer Story Locks Up Netflix’s Biggest Audience Since Stranger Things Return

Dahmer: Monster – The Jeffrey Dahmer Story drew a huge audience on its launch with 196.2M people tuning in since its launch on September 21.

Those numbers put it in the very top tier of Netflix hits since it changed the way that it reports ratings figures in June 2021.

Only Squid Game, All of Us Are Dead, season four of Stranger Things and season two of Bridgerton have beaten it in that period and the limited series beat shows such as Inventing Anna, which opened with 195.97M viewers, and the third season of You, which scored 179M.

https://deadline.com/2022/09/dahmer-monster-the-jeffrey-dahmer-story-netflix-biggest-audience-since-stranger-things-1235128248/

I am sick of seeing Jeffrey Dahmer being romanticized in TikTok edits or anywhere else. Yes, Evan Peters is a great actor and yes, true crime is fascinating in some ways. But he's not a fictional character. He is a real serial killer who killed 17 people. 17 families lost their loved one in the most horrible way imaginable. Imagine watching a TikTok edit with some pop song about a fictional version of the man who killed your brother, friend or son. Disgusting.

5 hours ago, MrLovett said:

Impressive numbers also considering that Netflix did barely any promo neither hyped it before release. This was announced literally 5 days before the premier. 

7 hours ago, Bey'Knight said:

Will Hollywood ever stop making films about this person? Ugh

The series focuses strongly on systematic racism. I think it’s the biggest take out.

3 hours ago, Kevin2803 said:

I am sick of seeing Jeffrey Dahmer being romanticized in TikTok edits or anywhere else. Yes, Evan Peters is a great actor and yes, true crime is fascinating in some ways. But he's not a fictional character. He is a real serial killer who killed 17 people. 17 families lost their loved one in the most horrible way imaginable. Imagine watching a TikTok edit with some pop song about a fictional version of the man who killed your brother, friend or son. Disgusting.

Omg this. It just :skull: 

Im not a TikTok user (and not planning to fall into it) but if that is really happening... another reason to avoid that app that is full of crap and useless people

the guy carelessly dancing to Catch me (I'm Falling) in the hotel room on episode 4 while the dude is ****** up in the bathroom is so me honestly

LORD. now why the **** did they make ship him and the deaf guy :weeps: there’s 30 minutes left of this ep and i’m so scared :weeps:

on episode 6 right now.

And i was so pissed of at the police reaction every damm time and then i thought maybe they just exaggerate for the show but then i did some research and its not that far from the truth, like how can they lets a man like that getaway, how the hell they let him take that young boy back to his department. And there have been so many report about his shady behavior and they just keep ignore it, what the hell.

1 hour ago, chiliam said:

on episode 6 right now.

And i was so pissed of at the police reaction every damm time and then i thought maybe they just exaggerate for the show but then i did some research and its not that far from the truth, like how can they lets a man like that getaway, how the hell they let him take that young boy back to his department. And there have been so many report about his shady behavior and they just keep ignore it, what the hell.

And one of them became president of Milwaukee Police Association which makes the whole thing even more infuriating.

Botched police work and white privilege with the cops is how so many serial killers back in the day got away with so much crap that was blatantly criminal.

3 hours ago, Gossip_Boy said:

And one of them became president of Milwaukee Police Association which makes the whole thing even more infuriating.

Botched police work and white privilege with the cops is how so many serial killers back in the day got away with so much crap that was blatantly criminal.

this is so mess up, the system is really collapse and i think its still going on even in 2022

we should be thankful for the technology advanced. some people concern about public camera invade privacy but those camera surely help to prevent crime. They did more for our safety than the police.

6 hours ago, chiliam said:

on episode 6 right now.

The most scary thing about the whole Dahmer story is the police negligence. 

Finished this and it’s a 8.9/10. 

Ms. Nash always deserves her flowers and Ryan keeping her career going like this is admirable. It’s disappointing to know her character wasn’t 100% accurate but I appreciated her role. The scenes where she would overhear Dahmer’s victim saying “no! Help!!” were so blood chilling omg….literally terrifying. Episode 6 was hands down the hardest tho because I legit got attached to the actor playing the deaf victim. Episode 8-10 felt like Ryan added a bit of too much comedic relief here and there, but It was still good. The cops being celebrated towards the end made my blood boil. 

The impromptu of showing John Wayne Gacy attacking a victim made me feel like Ryan was alluding to his next project tbh (idk if it’s been talked about already.) 

Evan deserves his flowers as well. I think this show will do very well award season wise and it overall deserves. 

(Also!!! I didn’t realize Molly Ringwall was playing the stepmother this whole time till the ending credits! Wtf!!!! Amazing.)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.