Taylor Swift - ‘Midnights’

Almodusa

It's not an hot take. In its genre sio Is Just a "******* pop Song" (Liam Gallagher opinion about the Song) from the Genius max Martin, long live Is just long live, pure irrelevance.

All too well, cardigan and anti Hero are stands out. 

Speak now is a cute album with some good tracks but there Is a reason even if with a 1M debut didn't get the AOTY nominee. Its just appealing to Swift fans who love her diaristix lyrics but has nothing more to offer to other listeners. This is why is the most forgotten now, even more than debut probably.

Edited by vale9001

• Replies 51.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PoisonedIvy

• By the Water

• Squall

• simmnfierzig

Speak Now is not forgotten, the entire standard edition has been doing over 100k daily except for 2 songs. That's on par with 1989, which has This Love (even before the TV it was doing below 100k) and I Know Places being the only 2 on it doing under 100k. 1989 just has way stronger singles.

Enchanted 727,000

Back to December (w/ Acoustic) 397,000

Better Than Revenge 159,000

Speak Now 152,000

The Story of Us 151,000

Mine 141,000

Sparks Fly 137,000

Dear John 132,000

Mean 130,000

Last Kiss 115,000

Haunted 101,000

2 hours ago, wastedpotential said:

Do y'all EVER stop ranking albums :gaycat6:

Right? It's so repetitive at this point :rip:

7 minutes ago, Kyle-x said:

Speak Now is not forgotten, the entire standard edition has been doing over 100k daily except for 2 songs. That's on par with 1989, which has This Love (even before the TV it was doing below 100k) and I Know Places being the only 2 on it doing under 100k. 1989 just has way stronger singles.

Enchanted 727,000

Back to December (w/ Acoustic) 397,000

Better Than Revenge 159,000

Speak Now 152,000

The Story of Us 151,000

Mine 141,000

Sparks Fly 137,000

Dear John 132,000

Mean 130,000

Last Kiss 115,000

Haunted 101,000

"The most forgotten"

13 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

"The most forgotten"

Forgotten and Speak Now shouldn't even be in the same sentence :gaylorcat2:

Speak now is only rated highly because of nostalgia. No one outside of the fandom cares about it. Red is the quintessential Taylor album and perfected her past sounds up to that point while hinting at what's to come :giraffe:. Speak Now was Evermore before Evermore (of course Evermore is the much superior album) the forgotten ugly sister that's overrated because of how "underrated" it is. Speak Now is to Taylor's discography what Jeongyeon is to Twice:giraffe:

1 hour ago, Tusk said:

We should since all of her albums are ranked #1 except Lover.

I think Taylor albums can be sorted into the A-tier, the B-tier and then Lover, but you're not wrong

Not too much on miss Shake It Off. She might seem like a simple pop song on first listen, and I will forever despise that godawful Hollaback Girl ripoff bridge but it is one of her most intricately layered songs. I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor and Max added literally hundreds of layers of percussion and brass and vocals to the end of the track. I find that every time I can listen and pick out something different to take away. Also, it's still to this day probably Taylor's most immediately catchy song, which is also why it was far and away her most successful in most countries and on most formats. 

I don't even particularly like the song in the context of the album, but it's probably her most perfectly crafted single yet. I'm really concerned that Taylor won't be able to do it justice on the re-recording. 

Edited by wastedpotential

1 hour ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

I know I did not read that god awful take that Speak Now is worse than 1989. :rip: Last Kiss, Enchanted, Dear John, Long Live, Back to December, and yes, Haunted, are literally all top tier Taylor songs. Speak Now, Red, folklore, and evermore are easily her top 4 albums. Like the other 6 don’t even hold a candle to these. Especially not 1989 with Welcome to New York, Shake It Off, Bad Blood, and HYGTG. :rip:

1989 is the favorite Taylor album for people who never liked Taylor before. People who don’t care for her god tier bridges, her final chorus narrative changes, or her diaristic writing. 1989 has weak/repetitive bridges, songs with basically no real details, and relies way too much on the melodic sensibilities of what Max Martin wanted her to do at the time.  

Always spilling! 

I noticed this base just picks a subject from a hat everyday to hate on. The way Taylor gets as much hate from her fans as oth is crazy :deadbanana4:

I don't think you can rate Taylor's discography but I think you can compare each pare of her albums based on their sounds: 

Fearless>>>>>> Debut. Fearless perfected the country sound of debut while mixing it with classic sounding country Pop.

Red>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Speak Now. Red is the more mature, more introspective album that explored a more timeless version of Rock than Speak Now's dated pop rock influences.

1989>>>>>>>> Lover. Both are light pop albums but 1989s synthpop soundscape is pristine and it's a much more consistent and coherent album while Lover has a lot of her worst songs on it.

Folklore>>> Evermore. Folklore's is much more cohesive while being experimental so it makes for a more complete listen while Evermore is less cohesive but has the higher highs.

Midnights>>>>>>>>>>>>> Reputation. Both are going for that understated, lo-fi, red hearse sound with R&b influences but Midnights is more consistent and more varied while Reputation is weighed down by dated Max Martin production and some of the worst songs of her career.

8 minutes ago, Cleanromantic said:

I don't think you can rate Taylor's discography but I think you can compare each pare of her albums based on their sounds: 

Fearless>>>>>> Debut. Fearless perfected the country sound of debut while mixing it with classic sounding country Pop.

Red>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Speak Now. Red is the more mature, more introspective album that explored a more timeless version of Rock than Speak Now's dated pop rock influences.

1989>>>>>>>> Lover. Both are light pop albums but 1989s synthpop soundscape is pristine and it's a much more consistent and coherent album while Lover has a lot of her worst songs on it.

Folklore>>> Evermore. Folklore's is much more cohesive while being experimental so it makes for a more complete listen while Evermore is less cohesive but has the higher highs.

Midnights>>>>>>>>>>>>> Reputation. Both are going for that understated, lo-fi, red hearse sound with R&b influences but Midnights is more consistent and more varied while Reputation is weighed down by dated Max Martin production and some of the worst songs of her career.

I second all these matchups

35 minutes ago, mael said:

Whew, I Think He Knows is still sooo good, Lavender Who? :giraffe:

The lucky ones that will get to be present during the single show she will acknowledge it are the real winners at life :cries:

58 minutes ago, Cleanromantic said:

Speak now is only rated highly because of nostalgia. No one outside of the fandom cares about it. Red is the quintessential Taylor album and perfected her past sounds up to that point while hinting at what's to come :giraffe:. Speak Now was Evermore before Evermore (of course Evermore is the much superior album) the forgotten ugly sister that's overrated because of how "underrated" it is. Speak Now is to Taylor's discography what Jeongyeon is to Twice:giraffe:

just because 1989 is one of her most popular albums don't make it superior, her country albums songwriting alone clears 1989. :gaycat2:

Speak now is not better than 1989. Blank Space alone washes all SN tracks combined.

SN is a good album but 1989 has timeless appeal. 

7 minutes ago, lasthauntedkiss said:

just because 1989 is one of her most popular albums don't make it superior, her country albums songwriting alone clears 1989. :gaycat2:

I can't believe we're in 2023, 17 years into her career and we still have country Taylor puritan stans :deadbanana2:.

4 minutes ago, Steve Johnson said:

Speak now is not better than 1989. Blank Space alone washes all SN tracks combined.

SN is a good album but 1989 has timeless appeal. 

You cannot be for real. Blank Space is a perfect pop song but Taylor is so much more than just a pop star. She’s an actual musician, and songs like Dear John, Enchanted, Back to December, Last Kiss, and Long Live perfectly encapsulate that. I’m sorry but her best non-pop songs **** on her best pop songs. It’s like saying Cruel Summer is better than Cardigan or getaway car better than All Too Well :deadbanana2: 

1 minute ago, FancyStars said:

It came like a postcard

Picture perfect shiny family

Holiday peppermint candy

But for him it's every day

So I peered through a window

A deep portal, time travel

All the love we unravel

:worship2:

What an amazing verse from a great song :jonny: 

8 minutes ago, FancyStars said:

It came like a postcard

Holiday peppermint candy

All the love we unravel

What a song :jonny5:

I can't believe Taylor wrote all of this about seeing her high school boyfriend's current wife's posts on Facebook :deadbanana4:

If there’s an album by her that should be hate-free, it’s Speak Now. :redface:

Long Live is a career highlight not just because the fanbase thinks it’s about us.

Imagine making “falling confettis” a visceral moment, a vivid picture, out of a six-minute shy epic. That’s some talent that her peers never touched.

xoxo

And reputation is NOT lo-fi. It’s in your face, blowing your speakers, maximalist pop. Even New Year’s Day has subdued synths. :skull:

Edited by Taylor fanboy

29 minutes ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

You cannot be for real. Blank Space is a perfect pop song but Taylor is so much more than just a pop star. She’s an actual musician, and songs like Dear John, Enchanted, Back to December, Last Kiss, and Long Live perfectly encapsulate that. I’m sorry but her best non-pop songs **** on her best pop songs. It’s like saying Cruel Summer is better than Cardigan or getaway car better than All Too Well :deadbanana2: 

Ik. But Blank Space is still better than all of them. 1989 is the better album, SN lacks that timeless/ evergreen factor that 1989 or folklore have. 

31 minutes ago, FancyStars said:

It came like a postcard

Holiday peppermint candy

All the love we unravel

Amazing