The Last of Us | S1 | Out now, renewed for S2

Hephaestus

Did people who’ve played Part II catch this reference?

Spoiler

https://twitter.com/NaughtyNDC/status/1614875996024623105?s=20&t=kRQWsoKlf40lpc4SgdGmjA

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wrecked

• The Last of Us

• Hephaestus

• bjorn

5 minutes ago, The Last of Us said:

Do you not see the contradiction here? If the general consensus is that it was phenomenal, then why would they have an issue with viewership for future episodes? It’s each to their own, but going off YouTube reactions and Twitter comments, it seems like a lot of people are now hooked and talking about how this was one of the best intros to a television series etc, so if anything, I could see the viewership growing throughout the series. Word of mouth is a powerful thing. 

i hope thats the case and there is enough here for everybody to enjoy. i'm optimistic for the future even if i didn't feel this opening was anything outstanding. a pilot is hard but at the same time they did have the length of a movie. they did a pretty good job but with the reviews ive seen i thought i was going to be blow me away.

The only complaints I have so far are:

• I wish the title sequence started right after that scene (around the 30 minute mark). It'd been much more impactful.
  • I really don't like that they've replaced spores with tendrils in order for the infection to spread. It makes absolutely no sense since it's common knowledge that (some) fungi reproduce via spores. Maybe it's because I've played the games, but it was jarring to see characters getting so close to infected individuals and/or fungi without masks and protective equipment. It cheapens the whole thing, especially considering the uniqueness of this story is how realistic it is compared to the average zombie virus ones we've seen for years. Like, how it even managed to spread so fast around the globe when infected individuals are so easily identifiable?

I loved that prelude scene about the virus/fungus. It's such a clever intro to the story, and it was kinda terrifying in a different way lol

Edited by Gui Blackout

1 hour ago, The Last of Us said:

I feel the same way. I won’t go into too much detail, as I don’t want to trauma dump, but my ex-boyfriend was really excited for the game coming out as he was a huge fan of Uncharted / Naughty Dog but he passed away about a month before it came out, so I played it on his behalf and had no idea what I was getting myself into. Everything with Joel / Sarah just hit me like a ton of bricks and this game honestly became a form of therapy for me. It’s why I got a tattoo to remember this quote from the game…

Reveal hidden contents

I struggled for a long time with survivin'. And you- No matter what, you keep finding something to fight for.

Both Part I and Part II were phenomenal games to me and I can’t wait to see how they translate into a television series. :WAP:

That's exactly how I felt, as a huge fan of Naughty Dog I was insanely hyped from the moment they announced it, who would've thought what a phenomenon it would become? I'm very very sorry for your loss. :heart2:

1 hour ago, Hephaestus said:

The only complaints I have so far are:

• I wish the title sequence started right after that scene (around the 30 minute mark). It'd been much more impactful.
  • I really don't like that they've replaced spores with tendrils in order for the infection to spread. It makes absolutely no sense since it's common knowledge that (some) fungi reproduce via spores. Maybe it's because I've played the games, but it was jarring to see characters getting so close to infected individuals and/or fungi without masks and protective equipment. It cheapens the whole thing, especially considering the uniqueness of this story is how realistic it is compared to the average zombie virus ones we've seen for years. Like, how it even managed to spread so fast around the globe when infected individuals are so easily identifiable?

I’m not sure why they changed that, but it doesn’t bother me because they didn’t play a huge part in the games overall storyline, just mostly some game sequences. I saw some people mention how…

Spoiler

It’ll change the scene with Ellie and Dina that takes part in Part II, but they could still achieve that scene with a different build up. Ellie could get bitten for example. 

I’m just genuinely impressed with how tense they made the opening, I didn’t expect it to have that effect on me because I have already played the games numerous times, but seeing it happen with real actors just added to the immersion. 

1 hour ago, HabbGaga said:

i hope thats the case and there is enough here for everybody to enjoy. i'm optimistic for the future even if i didn't feel this opening was anything outstanding. a pilot is hard but at the same time they did have the length of a movie. they did a pretty good job but with the reviews ive seen i thought i was going to be blow me away.

That’s where it just comes down to personal preference because it did blow me away. I was also just watching one of my fave YouTube reactors react to the show and they were also completely in awe of the first episode. 

Hopefully you start to enjoy the show more but if you don’t, that’s completely fine. The world would be a boring place if we all enjoyed the same things. :heart2:

20 minutes ago, Gui Blackout said:

I loved that prelude scene about the virus/fungus. It's such a clever intro to the story, and it was kinda terrifying in a different way lol

That opening was so eerie, especially considering everything that happened with COVID. It was a great new addition to the story. 

Some parts were a little corny to me and SOMETHING was missing but it was a great premiere overall. If you didn’t play the games I’m sure you’d be very interested in what’s going to happen next. I actually thought the episode lost steam as it went on. The 2003 sequence was great and Sarah felt more fleshed out. Bella as Ellie was a little cringe a couple of times but we need a few more episodes to see her fully embrace the role, she didn’t get much this episode. Very satisfied so far!

edit: I just have to say that despite seeing the opening countless times over the last 10 years, I cried like a baby at the end of the 2003 sequence :skull: the scene is like 1 for 1 with the game too :skull: the IMPACT!

Edited by Rigalo

1 hour ago, The Last of Us said:

I’m not sure why they changed that, but it doesn’t bother me because they didn’t play a huge part in the games overall storyline, just mostly some game sequences.

They said they didn't want characters to wear masks often. Fair, but sounds like a weak reason to me because they could've followed the games and use it just in some scenarios (like close spaces).

Also tendrils were part of the first game (to the point testers even played early versions of the game including them) but they were removed because characters would get caught in them all the time, forcing the player out of stealth, and especially because they looked too "alien like", so I really can't see why they chose to reintroduce them for the TV series. I wouldn't be surprised if they pop up in Part 3 or something though.

Edited by Hephaestus

I've played the game, haven't watched the premiere and I heard

Spoiler

People get infected via tendrils and not spores??? I'm sorry but ummm

Ok but how is the no spore thing gonna work for part 2 when 

Spoiler

Diana and that one WLF girl find out about Ellie being immune because she’s breathing in spores?

I decided to rewatch the premiere because I really wanted to love it and I found it much better on 2nd viewing. I think my expectations were just insanely high.

I love all the casting. Pedro and Bella nailed it but Tess especially this episode was a highlight. I just love how smart she is, the way she was telling Robert everything he wanted to hear just so she could get out of that situation alive, it was subtle but worked so well because of Anna Torv. "I promised Robert that you wouldn't hurt him, but I would very much like for you to hurt him" is such a great line and just how she was with Joel generally you felt their connection immediately which was the same in the game. Also a simple look from Tess says so much. I loved how Tess and Ellie kept locking eyes, it felt like Ellie kept looking to Tess for guidance, and Tess was trying to read Ellie but also being protective and reassuring at the same time. And of course the whole opening with Sarah, Joel and Tommy was just as thrilling in live action. Watching the final Sarah/Joel scene and realising they didn't **** it up was gratifying.

Probably any complaints that I did have would be with the pacing but the truth is thats just how that part of the game was, the game really feels like it begins once you leave the quarantine zone.

I also didn't love that they kept being so obvious about Ellie being immune, like they kept dropping hints and idk it would've been nice for the bite reveal to be as impactful as it was in the game for newer audiences but the writers kinda made it blatantly obvious. Lastly right before Joel beats up that guard at the end of the episode it flashes back to Sarah, you don't need to spoon feed the audience, I actually think it would have been more powerful for the audience to draw that parallel themselves a flashback of a scene from the same episode is kind of tacky but whatever.

So really only a few minor things were a little off for me but other than that it was a fantastic pilot.

Edited by HabbGaga

besides the mask thing, I think the change from spores to tendrils might also be a general visual difficulty. there are already a lot of dark portions of the game, and throw in clouds of spores 

Spoiler

like in that one dorm area at the university

and sometimes it’s not easy to see. translating stuff like that to television might deter viewers who aren’t coming in as previous players. 

obviously those portions could always be written out (like the first introduction to spores in the game was), but changing it overall does make some sense. 

personally I’m not quite in love with the tendrils yet, but like, I get why

the way people are praising this to the high heavens. It looks like another walking dead to laymen like me.

47 minutes ago, HabbGaga said:

I decided to rewatch the premiere because I really wanted to love it and I found it much better on 2nd viewing. I think my expectations were just insanely high.

I love all the casting. Pedro and Bella nailed it but Tess especially this episode was a highlight. I just love how smart she is, the way she was telling Robert everything he wanted to hear just so she could get out of that situation alive, it was subtle but worked so well because of Anna Torv. "I promised Robert that you wouldn't hurt him, but I would very much like for you to hurt him" is such a great line and just how she was with Joel generally you felt their connection immediately which was the same in the game. Also a simple look from Tess says so much. I loved how Tess and Ellie kept locking eyes, it felt like Ellie kept looking to Tess for guidance, and Tess was trying to read Ellie but also being protective and reassuring at the same time. And of course the whole opening with Sarah, Joel and Tommy was just as thrilling in live action. Watching the final Sarah/Joel scene and realising they didn't **** it up was gratifying.

Probably any complaints that I did have would be with the pacing but the truth is thats just how that part of the game was, the game really feels like it begins once you leave the quarantine zone.

I also didn't love that they kept being so obvious about Ellie being immune, like they kept dropping hints and idk it would've been nice for the bite reveal to be as impactful as it was in the game for newer audiences but the writers kinda made it blatantly obvious. Lastly right before Joel beats up that guard at the end of the episode it flashes back to Sarah, you don't need to spoon feed the audience, I actually think it would have been more powerful for the audience to draw that parallel themselves a flashback of a scene from the same episode is kind of tacky but whatever.

So really only a few minor things were a little off for me but other than that it was a fantastic pilot.

Spoiler

I actually loved that flashback scene and thought it was an improvement over the game, as that entire section isn’t emotional in the game, whereas the TV version made me choke up. Pedro really nailed that scene, the way he was able to display grief and anger so perfectly without saying a single word. :clap3:

52 minutes ago, TheOnlyOne said:

Ok but how is the no spore thing gonna work for part 2 when 

Reveal hidden contents

Diana and that one WLF girl find out about Ellie being immune because she’s breathing in spores?

Spoiler

That is a very fair point. I’m sure they have something in mind and differences/tweaks will be made (as I’m sure they’ve already said prior to the series premiere).

6 minutes ago, Monster Megamind said:

the way people are praising this to the high heavens. It looks like another walking dead to laymen like me.

That’s why the expression ‘looks can be deceiving’ exists.

spacer.png

Isn’t the creator of the game also apart of this show adaptation? I’m sure he thought through the whole tendrils/spores situation. Sometimes it’s more fun as a viewer to have a few changes versus having a shot for shot copy and paste.

1 minute ago, Arcadius said:

Reveal hidden contents

Isn’t the creator of the game also apart of this show adaptation? I’m sure he thought through the whole tendrils/spores situation. Sometimes it’s more fun as a viewer to have a few changes versus having a shot for shot copy and paste.

That’s correct. Neil Druckmann created the game and him and Craig Mazin developed the show together. That’s why it’s been such a faithful adaption so far. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.