The Last of Us | S1 | Out now, renewed for S2

Hephaestus

6 hours ago, geddymonster said:

The only thing I don’t like so far is the mushroom vines replacing the spores. I get that it was probably easier to do for TV, but I find it much less convincing. It’s serving “The Host” by Stephanie Meyer.

6 hours ago, HabbGaga said:

I don't know how to feel about tendrils. Right now I would have just preferred spores but maybe in the future they'll do something exciting with them and I'll change my mind but the concept feels generic and I'm not sure about the zombies having these sci-fi like special abilities. I liked the idea of them just being predators, the extra fantasy stuff actually make them less scary for me but we'll see. But yeah overall great episode my main issues just came from tendrils and the changes made at the end of the episode feeling like every other tv/movie in the zombie genre. I wish when they made changes they didn't just feel like something i've seen before, like rather then the changes actually adding something new and exciting, I always seem to feel like oh i've seen this trope before.

The thing I loved sm about TLOU was its ability to tell grounded and moving stories within this world, so I'm very excited for episode 3.

The creators explain why they went with tendrils instead of spores. It wouldn’t be realistic in real life adaptation cause then everyone would be infected and had to wear masks throughout. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wrecked

• The Last of Us

• Hephaestus

• bjorn

1 hour ago, Blue. said:

At this pace, there is no way S1 covers the entirety of the first game. It will probably cover the first two in game seasons, then S2 will be winter + left behind.

It’s already been confirmed ages ago that S1 will cover the entirety of the first game. I’m not sure if you look at trailers but you can see scenes from the end of the game in them. 

I also don’t get why some people in here think that the tendrils are too sci-fi when it’s based on real life…

https://www.nationalforests.org/blog/underground-mycorrhizal-network

:gaycat6:

7 hours ago, HabbGaga said:

I don't know how to feel about tendrils. Right now I would have just preferred spores but maybe in the future they'll do something exciting with them and I'll change my mind but the concept feels generic and I'm not sure about the zombies having these sci-fi like special abilities. I liked the idea of them just being predators, the extra fantasy stuff actually make them less scary for me but we'll see. But yeah overall great episode my main issues just came from tendrils and the changes made at the end of the episode feeling like every other tv/movie in the zombie genre. I wish when they made changes they didn't just feel like something i've seen before, like rather then the changes actually adding something new and exciting, I always seem to feel like oh i've seen this trope before.

The thing I loved sm about TLOU was its ability to tell grounded and moving stories within this world, so I'm very excited for episode 3.

They’re based on real life, so I don’t know how it’s too sci-fi for you…

I also don’t get how it feels generic when TLOU doesn’t even have zombies to begin with. They’re infected by a fungus, they’re not the walking dead. I don’t recall ever seeing any zombie show or movie where the infected were connected in the way they are in this TLOU adaption, so I’m curious to know which ones you’re referring to?

Edited by Wrecked

7 hours ago, QueenBLadyG said:

Can we have a 3 episode miniseries about the outbreak in Indonesia starring the QUEEN they featured during the cold open? PLEASE?!

Her name is Christine Hakim, she’s Indonesia’s Meryl Streep tbh.

I was shocked when she appeared on my screen since I blocked any news about this show.

21 minutes ago, Anye said:

Her name is Christine Hakim, she’s Indonesia’s Meryl Streep tbh.

I was shocked when she appeared on my screen since I blocked any news about this show.

You blocked news about TLOU but willingly come into the thread about it? :rip:

i haven’t found time yet to watch ep2 but ep1 WAS SOOOO GOOD. i’m glad there was a bit more joel and sarah content but nico was playing the part so well i just wanted even more. the girl who plays ellie did very well too so i can’t wait to watch the new ep :deadbanana2:

I liked the first episode. Tess is on POINT. Joel is great although I'm not too convinced with his voice since Joel has that thick masculine voice. Ellie's casting is PERFECT and so is Marline. 

I think I'll enjoy this. Unlike that terrible game sequel. It looks very promising. 

1 minute ago, TouchinFree said:

I liked the first episode. Tess is on POINT. Joel is great although I'm not too convinced with his voice since Joel has that thick masculine voice. Ellie's casting is PERFECT and so is Marline. 

I think I'll enjoy this. Unlike that terrible game sequel. It looks very promising. 

Marlene is literally perfect as she's the one voicing the game 

36 minutes ago, Wrecked said:

You blocked news about TLOU but willingly come into the thread about it? :rip:

To discuss the past/current episode ofc.

I avoided spoilers etc even tho I already played the game once. Turns out, the show brings new element so I’ll keep avoiding anything.

30 minutes ago, bjorn said:

So there will be max 2 sesons of this? :sad:

S1 = Part I + Left Behind

And they said if they get to adapt Part II it’ll have to be more than 1 season because of how big the game is. 

Edited by Wrecked

1 minute ago, Anye said:

To discuss the past/current episode ofc.

I avoided spoilers etc even tho I already played the game once. Turns out, the show brings new element so I’ll keep avoiding anything.

That makes sense! I thought you were being a hater, I didn’t realise you just did it to avoid show spoilers. My bad!

31 minutes ago, bjorn said:

So there will be max 2 sesons of this? :sad:

As long as TLOU games keep coming out, no. This is going to be a long ride and Part II is massive. Part III should be out ~2027.

7 minutes ago, Wrecked said:

That makes sense! I thought you were being a hater, I didn’t realise you just did it to avoid show spoilers. My bad!

It’s okay, I worded it wrong, not blocking as in hate it.

I even don’t watch preview for the next episode, I want to be surprised everytime.

The ending of ep 2 really was surprising :chick3:

34 minutes ago, Anye said:

It’s okay, I worded it wrong, not blocking as in hate it.

I even don’t watch preview for the next episode, I want to be surprised everytime.

The ending of ep 2 really was surprising :chick3:

Yeah, that makes sense. A lot of the trailers for shows can contain such big spoilers. 

1 hour ago, Blue. said:

At this pace, there is no way S1 covers the entirety of the first game. It will probably cover the first two in game seasons, then S2 will be winter + left behind.

Except season 1 is the entire 1st game. 

Left Behind doesn't even need a full episode and could be done at the same time as another event in the game with flashbacks. 

xfyc518kuxda1.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=10029e6c651979163eb54df849c29faab810da3b

"When You're Lost in the Darkness, Look for the Light"

:weeps:

The directing, writing, acting, casting, all 10/10 perfection :clap3: This might be the best HBO series since underrated classic Six Feet Under

1 hour ago, tiagol88 said:

Left Behind doesn't even need a full episode and could be done at the same time as another event in the game with flashbacks. 

Hmmm I feel like the game has too many details to fit it in 10 episodes only, but so far it’s been good so won’t complain.

2 minutes ago, Blue. said:

Hmmm I feel like the game has too many details to fit it in 10 episodes only, but so far it’s been good so won’t complain.

The game itself is only 10 hours long when you just keep the cutscenes, so I think 2 seasons would have stretched things out for too long tbh. They’ve already condensed the stuff with Robert and the journey to the Capitol building but it didn’t feel rushed as stories are told differently on TV than they are in games. 

The game feels so much bigger because of how much gameplay is in between the cutscenes but that gameplay doesn’t need to be shown. 

1 hour ago, tiagol88 said:

I could see it getting its own episode and if there are present day scenes throughout, I can see them taking the backseat for the Left Behind story. 

3 hours ago, Wrecked said:

They’re based on real life, so I don’t know how it’s too sci-fi for you…

I also don’t get how it feels generic when TLOU doesn’t even have zombies to begin with. They’re infected by a fungus, they’re not the walking dead. I don’t recall ever seeing any zombie show or movie where the infected were connected in the way they are in this TLOU adaption, so I’m curious to know which ones you’re referring to?

i literally just watched the cell a terrible stephen king adaption and they were all hive mind zombies. maybe thats why i'm not fond on the idea yet. it also reminds me of vecna maybe thats why it feels more sci-fi :rip:

i've seen other people not really loving the trade off of spores for this as well, the bts did make me like it a little more and i get their reasoning but i guess i just have to see how they are used in the future bc how they were used in this episode didn't really do anything for me.

I can understood why, some people, who maybe haven’t played or weren’t invested in the games may take a disliking/meh approach to this show.

However, I am thoroughly enjoying it and it’s sad we only have 7 weeks left before (what I assume will be) a looooooong wait for the second season.

I think this show is more or less a masterclass in adaptation so far. Some things change because changes always have to happen in adaptation but they are making sure they stay true to the themes, the characterisation, the feel ect. The tendrils thing changed because the spores are incredibly videogamey and don't really make sense. Like they can just anticipate areas with spores and put on those handy masks to prevent themselves being infected. I also think having infected chasing them rather than Zombies worked because they were able to include a bunch more info about them in those scenes and show off just how scary they are. I do wish we had more scenes of Tess being a badass though. 

I'm wondering what they are gonna do with future seasons. I assume they would adapt the second game too but how long is this whole thing gonna go for? Anyway either way great show so far, HBO really seem to be putting the effort in recently.

1 hour ago, P!nk said:

However, I am thoroughly enjoying it and it’s sad we only have 7 weeks left before (what I assume will be) a looooooong wait for the second season.

I need that Season 2 announcement to come quick cause we're already probably gonna be waiting til 2025 even if they renew it right now :deadbanana:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.