The Last of Us | S1 | Out now, renewed for S2

Hephaestus

I feel like an adaption of the second game would have to be at least 3 seasons long, but they could easily do more as there’s just so much material to work with and things to expand on.

I’m not sure how far away from the third game we are, but we could potentially have that come out whilst they’re still adapting the second game, so at least that way they’d have the material ready to wrap the series up.

Whatever happens, I’m just excited to be on the journey. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wrecked

• The Last of Us

• Hephaestus

• bjorn

Episode 2 was great but I can’t wait for episode 3, as the reviews for that episode have been stellar. 

That’s one of my problems, what are they gonna do past season 1? Like obviously they have material to work from but I wonder how they would switch it up/portray Part 2. 

my main issue (I will put in spoilers bc idr how much it’s been talked about in-show but) 

Spoiler

Why would anyone think Ellie could be the “cure” when they’ve gone at length in the show to say that it’s a parasite and there is no cure? Was this something that happened/was discussed in the games and I’m not remembering?

27 minutes ago, Rigalo said:

That’s one of my problems, what are they gonna do past season 1? Like obviously they have material to work from but I wonder how they would switch it up/portray Part 2. 

my main issue (I will put in spoilers bc idr how much it’s been talked about in-show but) 

Hide contents

Why would anyone think Ellie could be the “cure” when they’ve gone at length in the show to say that it’s a parasite and there is no cure? Was this something that happened/was discussed in the games and I’m not remembering?

there hasn't been medication/vaccine because it has no history of affecting humans, only insects so research $ would have gone to waste if they just made vaccines for every non-priority speculative issue. viruses were the root of pandemics and vaccines were developed after death and outbreaks, we didn't make a flu vaccine out of preventative measures. it was made after millions have already died and they did trials/research. there was also "no cure" for the bubonic plague and flu hundreds of years ago.

Edited by Starshine

2 hours ago, Rigalo said:

Hide contents

Just on this also (game spoilers): 

Hide contents

I think the use of "cure" and "vaccine" is just speculative because they never actually get far enough. Ellie is infected with a non functioning/inactive variant of cordyceps but when they cultivate her blood it sprouts like normal - so they were trying to reverse engineer whatever happened inside her but it didn't work.

Just finished watching Ep 1, haven't played the game but was curious to see with all the hype and I'm hooked :jonny5: It's giving Children of Men which I love so much :weeps: 

7 hours ago, polyrizumu said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think the use of "cure" and "vaccine" is just speculative because they never actually get far enough. Ellie is infected with a non functioning/inactive variant of cordyceps but when they cultivate her blood it sprouts like normal - so they were trying to reverse engineer whatever happened inside her but it didn't work.

Thank you! I know there’s some details I’m not remembering 

9 hours ago, Starshine said:
  Reveal hidden contents

there hasn't been medication/vaccine because it has no history of affecting humans, only insects so research $ would have gone to waste if they just made vaccines for every non-priority speculative issue. viruses were the root of pandemics and vaccines were developed after death and outbreaks, we didn't make a flu vaccine out of preventative measures. it was made after millions have already died and they did trials/research. there was also "no cure" for the bubonic plague and flu hundreds of years ago.

Spoiler

I’m talking about in context of it being a parasite. Both flashback scenes that they have done have pointed out that there wouldn’t be a cure because it’s a parasite and not a virus. Like when the oncologist (I forget exactly what she was) in the beginning of this episode says the solution is to bomb Jakarta. Unless I’m viewing things under the wrong lense, it’s seems like they are blatantly telling us there can’t be a cure so idk why the characters would think so 

1 hour ago, Rigalo said:

Thank you! I know there’s some details I’m not remembering 

Hide contents

I’m talking about in context of it being a parasite. Both flashback scenes that they have done have pointed out that there wouldn’t be a cure because it’s a parasite and not a virus. Like when the oncologist (I forget exactly what she was) in the beginning of this episode says the solution is to bomb Jakarta. Unless I’m viewing things under the wrong lense, it’s seems like they are blatantly telling us there can’t be a cure so idk why the characters would think so 

Spoiler

I think it’s because at that point in time, there wasn’t a cure. Ellie is the only person (that we know of) who is immune, so it’s not completely illogical to assume she has something special in her DNA that could potentially create a vaccine. Something is stopping her from turning into a ‘monster’ - so it’s probably something that could be reverse-engineered. 

9 hours ago, polyrizumu said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

It’s not that it didn’t work, it’s that they never got to try. Joel killed them all before they got a chance.

Second episode was great! Really loving this! 

16 hours ago, The Last of Us said:
  Hide contents

It’s not that it didn’t work, it’s that they never got to try. Joel killed them all before they got a chance.

Hide contents

I think from memory it's a combo of both. One of the audio recorders/collectibles talks about the cultures blooming, but I don't think they confirm if it's from Ellie's blood or another immune person. Either way yeah, Joel's killed 'em all lol

2 hours ago, polyrizumu said:
  Hide contents

I think from memory it's a combo of both. One of the audio recorders/collectibles talks about the cultures blooming, but I don't think they confirm if it's from Ellie's blood or another immune person. Either way yeah, Joel's killed 'em all lol

Spoiler

One of the recordings revealed that because Joel killed the surgeon that was supposed to perform the operation, there is no more hope in developing a vaccine even if they find other immune people, given that this particular surgeon is the only one who knows how to reverse-engineer a vaccine out of the mutation found in Ellie's brain. Although the game never guaranteed that the surgery would be 100% success, the pieces of evidence that Ellie found upon returning to the hospital suggests that the chances were high.

5 hours ago, Slate said:

My dad was talking about this and he had no idea it was even based on a game :dies:  The GP is hooked I fear

To be fair, unless you’re a gamer, you probably wouldn’t have heard of it. 

3 more days to episode 3 :beatfreak:

16 hours ago, The Last of Us said:
  Hide contents

One of the recordings revealed that because Joel killed the surgeon that was supposed to perform the operation, there is no more hope in developing a vaccine even if they find other immune people, given that this particular surgeon is the only one who knows how to reverse-engineer a vaccine out of the mutation found in Ellie's brain. Although the game never guaranteed that the surgery would be 100% success, the pieces of evidence that Ellie found upon returning to the hospital suggests that the chances were high.

Spoiler

Don’t play the games, but curious to know more. Why would Joel kill the surgeon? 

2 hours ago, publikcitizen said:
  Hide contents

Don’t play the games, but curious to know more. Why would Joel kill the surgeon? 

Spoiler

They’d have to kill Ellie and because he’s grown attached to her like she’s his own daughter 

6 hours ago, publikcitizen said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Marlene reveals that the Cordyceps in Ellie's brain has somehow mutated according to the doctors, hence why she is immune. Studying her brain would allow the doctors to reverse-engineer a vaccine for the Cordyceps brain infection, though since the fungus grows all over the brain, Joel figures out that Ellie would be killed during surgery. Even though Ellie wanted her life to mean something and would have been fine dying to potentially save the world, Joel can’t allow it to happen as at that point in the story she feels like another daughter to him. So he kills the doctors / remaining Fireflies and leaves the hospital with her.

7 hours ago, Anye said:

3 more days to episode 3 :beatfreak:

The hype train is real! I’ve been seeing a lot of positive reviews for this episode. Bring it on!

Ep 4   50 min 
Ep 5   1 hr 1 min

Some new confirmed episode runtimes! 

1 hour ago, The Last of Us said:

The hype train is real! I’ve been seeing a lot of positive reviews for this episode. Bring it on!

Some said the best episode of a TV show ever.

4 hours ago, The Last of Us said:
  Hide contents

Marlene reveals that the Cordyceps in Ellie's brain has somehow mutated according to the doctors, hence why she is immune. Studying her brain would allow the doctors to reverse-engineer a vaccine for the Cordyceps brain infection, though since the fungus grows all over the brain, Joel figures out that Ellie would be killed during surgery. Even though Ellie wanted her life to mean something and would have been fine dying to potentially save the world, Joel can’t allow it to happen as at that point in the story she feels like another daughter to him. So he kills the doctors / remaining Fireflies and leaves the hospital with her.

Spoiler

Yikes. Then what’s the point of it all? Lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.