The Last of Us | S1 | Out now, renewed for S2

Hephaestus

8 minutes ago, The Last of Us said:

You need to put things in spoiler tags. 

There’s no way they’re not going to adapt it faithfully. Part II was amazing and in some ways, better than Part I. If people want to cry, let them cry. I’d rather respect the creators artistic vision than change things to satisfy the bigots. A lot of people love Part II, it’s just that the ones who don’t go out of their way to tell you instead of just moving on.  

i don't have the option for spoiler tags which is why i was talking around the spoilers.

i would like a mostly faithful adaption, some things could be added/changed bc its messy at times and is a pretty basic revenge story that we've seen many times. with tlou being adapted into a tv show, you realize things aren't overly complicated or unique they were for a video game ofc but for tv/movies this isn't new territory. so theres gonna need to be another side of this story than just the human connection if they want it to succeed and hopefully with hbos budget they can make for some amazing action sequences bc i've already heard many people saying the 2nd half of episode 1 was slow. these are definitely all concerns when thinking about having a successful tv show that stays on the air. if people start dropping it they wont even be able to finish the story so its a valid discussion. but i don't think you are really interested in having that discussion without bias.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wrecked

• The Last of Us

• Hephaestus

• bjorn

1 minute ago, HabbGaga said:

i don't have the option for spoiler tags which is why i was talking around the spoilers.

i would like a mostly faithful adaption, some things could be added/changed bc its messy at times and is a pretty basic revenge story that we've seen many times. with tlou being adapted into a tv show, you realize things aren't overly complicated or unique they were for a video game ofc but for tv/movies this isn't new territory. so theres gonna need to be another side of this story than just the human connection if they want it to succeed and hopefully with hbos budget they can make for some amazing action sequences bc i've already heard many people saying the 2nd half of episode 1 was slow. these are definitely all concerns when thinking about having a successful tv show that stays on the air. if people start dropping it they wont even be able to finish the story so its a valid discussion. but i don't think you are really interested in having that discussion without bias.

How do you not have the spoiler tag option? I’m posting from mobile and I still have it as an option. It’s the little eye icon next to where the other text formatting buttons are. 

I’m not being biased. Just because I’m a fan of the game, doesn’t mean I’m being biased, but if I don’t agree with what you’re saying, I don’t agree with what you’re saying and it’s just that simple. It’s already been stated by a lot of critics that the first episode is the weakest, so giving how strong the premiere was, that gives me nothing but faith in the show going forward. You might have seen ‘many’ people saying the second part was slower, but I’ve watched loads of people doing reactions on YouTube and every single one of them have said they loved the first episode and can’t wait to see where it goes. 

Like @FailSafe has said, that part of the game was slower as you’re building up the story. Episode 1 was all about introducing us to the world and giving us some backstory on the characters and I think they accomplished that. If they adapt Part II into a series, it’ll obviously have some different story beats, because the narrative of the game wouldn’t work as well in a live action format, but I can’t see why they’d completely change a huge part of the story out of fear of losing some of the audience. They knew what a risk Part II was and have said it’d be divisive before it even came out, so any negative feedback they received wouldn’t have been a shock to them. They expected it. 

The Last of Us wasn’t a hit because of its action. And that’s just a fact. It’s not a matter or opinion or bias. If they wanted it to become an action-heavy IP with little to no substance, they would have given it to Sony to adapt into a movie. 

2 minutes ago, The Last of Us said:

How do you not have the spoiler tag option? I’m posting from mobile and I still have it as an option. It’s the little eye icon next to where the other text formatting buttons are. 

I’m not being biased. Just because I’m a fan of the game, doesn’t mean I’m being biased, but if I don’t agree with what you’re saying, I don’t agree with what you’re saying and it’s just that simple. It’s already been stated by a lot of critics that the first episode is the weakest, so giving how strong the premiere was, that gives me nothing but faith in the show going forward. You might have seen ‘many’ people saying the second part was slower, but I’ve watched loads of people doing reactions on YouTube and every single one of them have said they loved the first episode and can’t wait to see where it goes. 

Like @FailSafe has said, that part of the game was slower as you’re building up the story. Episode 1 was all about introducing us to the world and giving us some backstory on the characters and I think they accomplished that. If they adapt Part II into a series, it’ll obviously have some different story beats, because the narrative of the game wouldn’t work as well in a live action format, but I can’t see why they’d completely change a huge part of the story out of fear of losing some of the audience. They knew what a risk Part II was and have said it’d be divisive before it even came out, so any negative feedback they received wouldn’t have been a shock to them. They expected it. 

The Last of Us wasn’t a hit because of its action. And that’s just a fact. It’s not a matter or opinion or bias. If they wanted it to become an action-heavy IP with little to no substance, they would have given it to Sony to adapt into a movie. 

i don't have it.

i agree with most of what ur saying anyway, i just have some concerns bc audiences are so fickle and having watched twd all the way through i know that to be true.

1 minute ago, HabbGaga said:

i don't have it.

i agree with most of what ur saying anyway, i just have some concerns bc audiences are so fickle and having watched twd all the way through i know that to be true.

That’s weird! 

The show only has 8 episodes left and we still haven’t seen…

Spoiler

Clickers, the Bloater from the trailer, Tess’s death, which I think will be happening in episode 2. Sam and Henry, David and the winter section, Ellie’s backstory with Riley, Bill and Frank and the hospital scene at the end of the game. 

So I think we will be getting more action. It just won’t be placed in an episode for the sake of being there. The reason I mentioned TWD S2, is because that season didn’t have much action over its 13 episodes but that season actually managed to increase its ratings from S1 and led to S3 having (at that point) series high viewership, so I think audiences can respect and enjoy character / world building when it’s done right. TWD S2 had just enough action / shocking storylines to still keep people gripped and knowing what’s still to come with TLOU, I’ll be shocked if we see a huge dip in ratings. 

The game got stronger as it progressed so I assume the series will be the same way. Seeing so much positive reaction to what’s been described as the worst episode of the series is a good thing. 

4 hours ago, FailSafe said:

The Last of Us doesn't need to always have an "action" scene to keep the audience entertained. Yes, the infected are a big part of why the IP is successful but there's a **** ton of post apocalyptic series/movies/games etc that have the same concept but end up mediocre or panned and forgotten. Character building/relationship  was what made The Last Of Us the monster IP that it is, and if the production team nails it and use it as "window" in between the action scenes, there is nothing to worry about.

Not to mention the "slow segment" of the second half of the first episode is literally the most boring part of the game because that's basically the "information dump" part. 

This is tea, the game gets better (pacing wise) as it goes so I’m sure the show will just wrap us in more and more each episode 

I played Part I and Left Behind just before Christmas, so I wasn’t sure if that would make it harder for me to watch new actors play roles I’m so familiar with, but it truly didn’t. The first episode was fantastic and I can’t believe how gripped it had me. The car scene with Joel, Tommy and Sarah was so well filmed and at times I found myself reaching for my PlayStation controller. It felt like it was taken straight from the video game, in the best way possible. 

I’m really excited to see episode 3 as I’ve heard that’s not only one of the best episodes of the show, but one of the best episodes of television in general. My body and soul are ready to be destroyed. 🥹

2 hours ago, Hephaestus said:

Me after watching that video: 

Just finished the first ep, it was great. Question though, do we know how closely the rest of the series will follow the games?

This isn't a book adaptation where I'm getting to witness and visualize the characters for the first time, I already know these characters and the stories, so If the rest of the show will be a near scene for scene recreation like with the first ep, then I'm not sure it'll be enjoyable for me tbh.

I'm actually hoping they add something new. Video game to tv isn't as interesting for a game that was already like a movie. Felt like a rewatch with better graphics :skull:

Edited by Khal

1 hour ago, Khal said:

Just finished the first ep, it was great. Question though, do we know how closely the rest of the series will follow the games?

This isn't a book adaptation where I'm getting to witness and visualize the characters for the first time, I already know these characters and the stories, so If the rest of the show will be a near scene for scene recreation like with the first ep, then I'm not sure it'll be enjoyable for me tbh.

I'm actually hoping they add something new. Video game to tv isn't as interesting for a game that was already like a movie. Felt like a rewatch with better graphics :skull:

They said they're gonna expand on some stuff, so new content should be expected. I think it'll be very close to the game for the most part though.

3 hours ago, Khal said:

It’s going to be faithful to the video game but with things being expanded on. We already saw that in the first episode, as a lot of the scenes weren’t in the video game and the ones that were, were told in a different way. I think they’ve done a great job of expanding on certain things whilst adding more emotional weight to them. 

It seems like episode 3 could be completely different from the video game as it’s an episode featuring Bill and Frank and Frank was never seen in the video game. 

If we’re fortunate enough to get more seasons that focus on Part II than I think we’ll see even more deviations because there’s so much material to work with. I read an interview recently from Craig Mazin and he said he’d love to dive into the backstory of….

Spoiler

spacer.png

Edited by Wrecked

13 hours ago, Hephaestus said:

They said they're gonna expand on some stuff, so new content should be expected. I think it'll be very close to the game for the most part though.

11 hours ago, Wrecked said:

It’s going to be faithful to the video game but with things being expanded on. We already saw that in the first episode, as a lot of the scenes weren’t in the video game and the ones that were, were told in a different way. I think they’ve done a great job of expanding on certain things whilst adding more emotional weight to them. 

It seems like episode 3 could be completely different from the video game as it’s an episode featuring Bill and Frank and Frank was never seen in the video game. 

If we’re fortunate enough to get more seasons that focus on Part II than I think we’ll see even more deviations because there’s so much material to work with. I read an interview recently from Craig Mazin and he said he’d love to dive into the backstory of….

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

Thanks! Glad to hear they'll expanding more things the game didn't touch. It'll be really nice if the show can have it's own moments separate from the game.

Edited by Khal

Episode 2 tonight / tomorrow!

Is everybody hyped? 

spacer.png

Type "cordyceps" or "The Last Of Us" on Google and see something interesting 

Edited by FailSafe

28 minutes ago, FailSafe said:

Type "cordyceps" or "The Last Of Us" on Google and see something interesting 

That’s so awesome! The marketing for this show has been so good. 

I wonder how hard the rottentomatoes/metacritic userscore will drop after the Ellie and Riley scene :skull:         

51 minutes ago, Patient Zero said:

I wonder how hard the rottentomatoes/metacritic userscore will drop after the Ellie and Riley scene :skull:         

It’ll be the Bill and Frank stuff that truly bring the trolls out from beneath their bridges, but I’d rather get rid of those types of people early as TLOU isn’t a series for bigots. ✌️

Edited by Wrecked

Episode 2 is great so far :gaycat3:

The casting of Ellie is such a.....choice.

But this series is so well done and faithful to the game. Loving it so far

I can’t believe I’m saying this adaptation might just be better than the game? I’ve felt more emotions in ep1 and ep2 than the OG. :jonny6:

31 minutes ago, hardbrit said:

The casting of Ellie is such a.....choice.

But this series is so well done and faithful to the game. Loving it so far

yeah, a great choice 

Very impressed with how the clickers were designed :clap3:

Tess :cries:

The Clickers were gorgeous :smitten: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.