Golden Hit: Season 2 πŸ“€ Congratulations Hug! πŸ†

Aurora

1 minute ago, Achilles. said:

Are yall judging the entire song, or just the spoken word part of it?

Β 

Β 

Also, the best spoken word bit in recent pop music is the bridge of Baby Queen’s smashterpiece You Shaped Hole. Get into it!

Yep, whole songΒ :eddie:

Β 

Also agreed stan Baby Queen !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountain

• Aurora

• Legend E

• Hug

Top Posters In This Topic

Reviews coming pretty soon - probably won't be all of them, but I want to post what I have before I go to bed tonightΒ 

I feel like this is gonna be a hard challenge to judge without an instrumentalΒ 

Β 

at least in our minds we have a beatΒ 

Β 

Β 

Spoken word? I may have to start googling wtf that means before I start writing I guess :weeps:

19 minutes ago, fountain said:

@Julia FoxΒ this is important, I need to know:

Β 

are you museless, or are you your own muse?Β 

I can't be anyone's muse if i'm not my own muse honey xΒ 

Also have already written two songs for this challenge but i don’t know what would fit better tbh gladly I have time to decide or come with someone else, the songs so far are called:

-spacey break up song

-the plot

Β 

maybe a three songs EP may come by the weekend xΒ 

1 minute ago, Julia Fox said:

I can't be anyone's muse if i'm not my own muse honey xΒ 

If you can’t muse yourself how the hell you gonna muse somebody else? So true x

17 minutes ago, Allday said:

Spoken word? I may have to start googling wtf that means before I start writing I guess :weeps:

Writing in the song that is intended to be spoken as opposed to sung. To make it as simple as possible, we want a song that has spoken lyrics. You can write about absolutely anything that you want, there just has to be some sort of speech component in it. There are examples of songs like this listed in the challenge post.Β 

Edited by fountain

Ribbon-Reviews-S2-Jackson.png

I apologize in advance for my attempted tree puns. My last few reviews will come in the morning – thanks for being patient this round!

Β 

Β 

Β 

@hurricane326 – Love Under a Blue Tarp
One thing I love about your writing is how the lyrics tell a complete story. Often, with other writers, I have to read the β€œother information” section to fully grasp what their song’s about, but I felt like you effectively portrayed exactly what you were writing without me even needing the additional information section. I love that you wrote about the way children experience life as bigger and grander than it is in reality – it’s something I think about a lot and something I wrote about in one of my PH10 songs. The way you then twisted that to juxtapose against adults dealing with a heavier reality is really interesting. Your lyrics display a childlike sense of innocence really well, but there’s also a darker, heavier component that makes each side pop really well. From a challenge standpoint, I think you implemented the tree theme quite well without it feeling burdensome. Incorporating the theme through descriptive phrases like β€œsome people branched out but others held hope” and β€œthey bend and sway until they break” is a smart way to nod towards the brief in a way that Achilles has done in prior challenges. I also like that you incorporated the theme both metaphorically and literally. Since your song didn’t have a formal chorus, this worked well to tie sections of the song together without needing to so structurally. I actually think this still sounds very song-like despite the lack of a chorus. If I had any nitpicks, I would say that I don’t fully understand β€œHow she had to stop with the pleas” – based on the lyrics and your additional information, it seems this was the point where her pleas peaked. Let me know if I’m missing something there. I’d have to say this is my favorite song from you so far this season. You incorporated the theme well and wrote about a very personal and sensitive subject with an incredible amount of care.

Β 

@Hug – Welcome to the Club
Regardless of what you’re writing about or how I feel about it, I always look forward to reading your entries. Your technical mastery of songwriting is well established, but there’s always an inherent sweetness to your lyrics and an emotional bend to them. Even though the things you write about are rarely personal, I can feel traces of your own feelings in each song. This season, I think you were in pursuit of the original for a few rounds, and I think that made your writing unusually cerebral for a bit, and I missed out on some of that traditional Hug sweetness and emotion. I think some of that came back this round, and I’m happy to see it. While trying something new at this stage of your songwriting career is never a bad thing, I think you should make sure that you’re enjoying writing and writing something you connect with. Someone may tell you that your storyline wasn’t original enough, but I think this song had a very human storyline, and humans tend to go through the same cycles of love and loss and holding memories in a rosy state of perfection that may have never existed, so I think your song has a very β€œreal” feeling to it. I don’t necessarily interpret your first verse as a literal retelling of events, but more a retrospective view of how someone might remember their childhood in all its perfection. You write about the excitement of playing in a treehouse with a friend, of etching β€œwelcome to the club” on a sign, but not about the process of building the treehouse or the perhaps mundane days after it was built. Later, you write about the moment your branches β€œsplit apart”. We tend to remember the most emotional parts of life, so for me this adds to the realness of the story. All this to say, I thoroughly enjoyed the β€œtreehouse” concept, your storyline, and everything that came with it. Concept aside, one could even argue that the entire concept is just a metaphor for the friendships we build as children, the crushes we never admit, and the way people drift apart as we advance into adulthood, often more to the detriment of one party than the other. My favorite line is β€œtrees can be replanted, but memories can’t be replaced”. My only complaint would be that a few lines felt awkwardly worded to fit your meter and rhyme scheme (β€œzen” in the first chorus, β€œall the merrier that those were me and you”, β€œwhen my reason to was lost”). Perhaps the reason for this review is me trying to convince you that you’re a much better songwriter than you sometimes give yourself credit for. You’ve mentioned looking up to other writers as inspiration of what you want your writing to be, but I think there’s writers that read your work and aspire to be at your level. I don’t think you’re capable of writing a β€œbad” song – at the very least all the basic songwriting elements will be there. At best, you have something like this song – wistful, mildly sweet, thoughtful, and universally relatable.

Β 

@XO_Life – Old Oak Tree
β€œStarts with a moan” has to be a new one for me. Using seasons as a way to show progression in a story is a pretty old poetic trick, and one that I’ve used before, but it’s one that I don’t mind seeing pop up, especially in a β€œdeciduous” challenge. The image of a firefly filled night fading into red and brown decaying leaves definitely gives me the transition from Taylor’s Speak Now to Red eras, but I also get some Same Trailer Different Park era Kacey from the second verse. Despite the country inspired veneer, I still get a lot of your trademark pop sensibilities here. β€œBliss” often feels like a forced rhyme when paired with β€œkiss”, but I think the rhyme’s catchy enough here that you pull it off. The fact that you ventured a little further from the bubblegum pop I’ve seen from you in the past played to your strength this round, because you retained the catchiness of your pop style while introducing some storytelling elements. I did think the progression of the story was a bit abrupt – you went right from describing permanent green love to β€œBut now all is on the ground”. I think you could have fixed this by omitting the first chorus and using the second verse as a transition – delaying the chorus would have also built some tension and made the blunt β€œnow all is on the ground” feel more rewarding and less jarring as a reader. I’d also encourage you to think of new ways to describe your setting. Instead of directly saying the words β€œgreen”, β€œred”, and β€œbrown” you could describe them in a way that’s slightly more engaging. Regardless, my favorite line here was β€œbroken brown leafs, I hear their cracks and my heart fills with grief” – the literal image of decaying leaves alongside the metaphorical image of a heart cracking felt like a high point for the song. The way you describe oak trees as β€œpermanently” green despite clearly being deciduous confused me a bit at first, but I think you pull it off with your ending line β€œoh just knowing autumn will never leave” – this hints that the protagonist naively thinks the current season will last forever, but the reader knows the tree will find spring again someday and leaves them with a sense of hope without ever needing to say it. You’ve already shown a tremendous amount of growth and versatility in this tournament, so I’m excited to see what you surprise us with next week.

Β 

@Julia Fox – Coconut Tree
I was considering writing a song this week that fit this week’s challenge while also working for Diana Diamond, and the concept I came up with was writing a summery bop about a palm tree – it looks like you read my mind! Something intriguing I learned after spending a week in Costa Rica this year is that palm and banana trees aren’t biologically true β€œtrees”, and some don’t consider them trees at all because they don’t have multiple terminal limbs. To those people, I say **** off because who are you as a scientist to say what is and isn’t a tree? Anyway, I can see, as you implied in your additional information section, that this song was less inspired than other entries, but it’s still a pretty solid pop offering. I actually appreciate that you went in a new direction here – stating things pretty plainly and describing them in colorful, sometimes smutty ways. I think this type of song is pretty easy to write because, as I’ve said in other reviews, shock is the easiest emotion to manufacture. At the same time, it can be incredibly difficult to find the line between clever and lewd. While β€œseed me with your succulent juice” was an effective double entendre, β€œnut in me, feed me in” was perhaps a bit too direct. The entire song follows that theme of alternating between clever lines, like β€œyour leaves dance when they see me/maybe they could made a beautiful dress/and then maybe you could undress me” and the more grotesque β€œyour coconuts incredibly yield/that means more milk for me, yummy!”. For what you describe as an uninspired song, I think the clever lines actually outnumber the awkward ones, so I’m glad you submitted something. Even if I winced a bit at β€œmake my eyes go white-y”, I cackled at β€œand I like tall boys like you, coconut/cause they have bigger (laughs sensually)” (not to mention this felt like a necessary and effective use of parentheticals). This surely won’t go down as one of your greatest hits, but I think it provides some necessary fun and color to your discography, so I’m glad I got to read it, and writing something this fun and summery was a less popular option this round, so it provided some necessary re-leaf :eddie:

Β 

@Euterpe – God-given
Something I like about a challenge so broad as β€œwrite a song about trees” is that you get a wide array of songs, ranging from being metaphorically about trees, to writing about Christmas trees, to literally writing a song from the perspective as a tree. I don’t think any interpretation is correct or incorrect, and I appreciate seeing all perspectives. This reads as the antithesis to the song fountain posted this week – where his song is about an alien longing for a world with trees, your song is about a tree coming to terms with its humanity, or lack thereof. Considering your song isn’t from a human’s perspective, it’s interesting that it explores the concept of humanity more than any other this round. Whether intended or not, I think one could also take this more metaphorically as a song about feeling different and finding peace in differences. From this perspective, I found the second half of your song more compelling than the first. While the first half of the story describes the tree, it only touches on the comparison between itself and its onlookers. I like that in the bridge you reference the tree’s doubts and troubles, but show its acceptance of its place in nature. I want to highlight one particular part of your song – where you say β€œI grow pine needles and cones…but like a parent’s welcoming nest, the children will not be disowned”. For me, this was the most descriptive part of your song, and a good example of using imagery to draw emotion. In other places in your song, you either describe the tree in a literal way that builds the setting of the song but doesn’t contribute emotionally, or describe flat-out how the tree feels. I think you could have combined both in more places, using strong descriptive phrases to convey emotion without needing to explicitly mention the emotions your character feels. You clearly have a strong grasp of songwriting structure and all the associated basics, so I’d love to see you β€œbranch” out and include more descriptive, emotional details in your lyrics to further strengthen your songs.

Β 

@Allday – Red
I don’t think you needed to worry about not knowing much about trees. Your approach of using a tree as both the setting of your song and a metaphor through the colors of its leaves was smart and showed a good understanding of the challenge. I have a maple tree right outside my house that turns scarlet red in autumn, so the imagery here really connected with me. This song was, fittingly, quite evocative of Taylor’s Red era, not just in the obvious name of the song, but also the fall imagery, the heightened emotion and association with color, and the hormone-driven adolescent love story. The lyrics were saturated with references to the titular color, but I would have loved to see more variety in your language. I liked when you mentioned β€œauburn thoughts”, but the overuse of the word β€œred” otherwise felt very one note. You could have described your imagery in other ways, or used other synonyms for the color rather than using the word β€œred” three times in the chorus alone. There were also a few words that felt out of place in the lyrics. I didn’t know what β€œpolonaise” or β€œnocturne” meant before reading your song, and after googling those words I’m still not sure they fit in their respective lines. I’m also guessing β€œwearwear” is a typo for underwear, or maybe just an Aussie slang I’m not aware of? As for the rap feature – it looks like you addressed this challenge and the next all in one song! I liked the change of tone and structure, but lyrically I don’t think it added anything to the story. This could have been a good opportunity to introduce a new perspective or emotion to the lyrics. Still, you understood the challenge well, and I appreciate that you used the tree theme both literally and metaphorically.

Β 

@worldwide angel – Sweet Revival
I’m glad you switched up your structure a bit this week – while the pre-chorus and chorus are still quite short, the longer line lengths in the verse give your lyrics a bit more breathing room and allow you to express thought more poetically. Using winter as a metaphor for death and spring as a metaphor for rebirth are hardly new concepts in songwriting/poetry, but I think you added enough humanity and personal touches to make this a fresh take on the narrative. In the first verse, I thought it was an interesting choice to add a second character (β€œfeels like his shivering limbs, born from nowhere, slowly strangles me”) that didn’t have any additional presence in the song. My guess is that you’re personifying death, but just doing this once in the song felt confusing to me. Additionally, using β€œshivering limbs” as a negatively connotated reference to trees while using more mellow, personal references later in the song (β€œdrops of gorgeous browns, luscious reds, and pearly yellows” or β€œdeep in my rings/rest in my roots”) felt inconsistent. I absolutely loved those more vivid tree references, which just made that first one feel out of place. My only other complaint would be that β€œthese waves of wind around me/whirl around me” in the chorus was unnecessarily repetitive. Β Despite this, don’t think I didn’t enjoy the rest of the song, as I really only had problems with those few lines. You do a great job of talking about a sensitive subject without directly saying what you’re talking about. It’s pretty clear you’re writing about death in lines like β€œI know my moment approaches silently” and β€œthere’s something waiting/on the other side for me”, but you don’t have to explicitly tell the reader. You make the fatal sound almost serene, which, as you allude to in your other information section, as you should – nature goes through cycles of death and birth in a beautiful way. I’m glad you’re able to harness that beauty and turn it into an effective piece of art.

Β 

@beatinglikeadrum – The King
This doesn’t severely impact my judging, and I typically wouldn’t comment on it, but there did appear to be a significant amount of small spelling and grammar errors here that were a bit distracting. Whether it’s that you didn’t read the lyrics back or just a language difference, it could be worth it to run your song through a free grammar checker online or send to another contestant. With that out of the way, I think you’ve done a great job of listening to our feedback throughout the weeks and made gradual improvements with each entry. Where your last entry had some metaphors that didn’t quite connect for me, everything here seemed intentional and well thought out semantically. I liked that you wove in references to trees throughout the song in Nimue’s hair, bark full of dreams, and references to fertile soil. Had I not known this round was about trees, I may not have picked up on those references, but they helped ground your imagery and still made enough appearances in the song to fit the brief. I think you’ve developed a great ability to convey a sense of color and vibrancy in your lyrics that effectively paints a setting and immerses the reader directly in your lyrics. At times, your lines become quite wordy in a way that walks the line between songwriting and poetry, and your fairly loose rhyme scheme contributes to that feeling as well. I think this will lend well to the next challenge, where you’ll have unfettered access to unusual line lengths. Otherwise, I would encourage you to take a risk and attempt to package your beautiful, emotional imagery into a more lyrical package, sticking to similar line lengths, matching verse structures, and committing to a rhyme scheme. Still, I’d like to comment on a few lines here that a really enjoyed, because there were a lot. β€œMy roots, they once touched Mother Nature’s heart/Now she can only hear my tears, she can only see my cry” was my favorite couplet, and I also loved β€œSon of the fertile soil and rainny skies, King Of Trees needs to die/I AM no longer needed by the human kind”. The next challenge seems tailor made to your style, so I encourage you to go all out, experiment with song structure, and deliver your best song yet.

Β 

@Legend E – Sycamore
Not your other information section being twice as long as your song :deadbanana: . I do read the additional information as a way to understand writers’ thought processes better and see if there were any obvious things I missed, but I felt like there were a few lyrics that never would have clicked had I not read through the other information. The crown lyric wouldn’t have struck me as a crown of leaves since there weren’t any other references to trees in the chorus, and I was left wondering what this could be a reference to as I was reading through your lyrics. I think you could have more directly alluded to the tree’s leaves as a metaphorical crown or included other tree related imagery in the chorus to make that connection stronger. Your song was on the shorter side, which I don’t have a problem with, but there I was left wanting additional detail which made the song seem unfinished rather than short. Of what was present, there was no shortage of well thought out lines. There was a mature sense of romance in the warmth/coldness line. I love that there were feelings of danger and rebellion set against the overall romantic feel of the song that fit perfectly with the Adam & Eve theme. The third line of the second verse was beautifully sweet, as well as the entire third verse/outro. I think this section especially should have been expanded, as it was the most compelling to me. The way you hint at something tender and sensual producing life, yet not being able to tell the stories to your offspring, leading to the inside of me/outside of me was genius – so how dare you end the song two lines later? In my mind I imagine two little kids outside swinging on the Sycamore tree, or the family pondering the cycle of life as autumn leaves fall off the tree. Something like this could have been a cool bridge before ending on a slightly altered chorus. I don’t want to write your song for you, but for me there’s a difference between ending a song intentionally on an unresolved note and a verse that’s begging to be written. I would say there was little you did wrong this round, but there’s also a lot more you could have done. And while it would have been nearly impossible to match the highs of last round, this was still another great entry from you.

Β 

@Augmented – Nature's LawΒ 

I’m going to start my review where you probably don’t want me to and attempt to analyze your discontent with your writing this season. So far, you’ve submitted three pretty diverse songs, and I’ve personally quite enjoyed two of them. Your writing definitely isn’t bad this season, and I’d even say I’ve seen some growth from you compared to last season. I think trying to decipher exactly why you’re not happy with your writing may be the key to writing something both you and the judges love. Perhaps you’re trying to write the perfect song and forgetting to write something you enjoy, or perhaps you’re just unhappy with your style and trying out new techniques to see what fits. If that’s the case, I’d encourage you to take next week as an opportunity to really experiment with structure and rhyming since you won’t be confined to the same rules as typical rounds for a spoken word song. And above all, I implore you to write about something that bring you joy, because regardless of how I feel about a song it brings me some pain to see you doing something that isn’t bringing you much satisfaction.Β 

Β 

As for your song itself, I think you created something special here. You were hardly the only person to write about changing seasons this round, as is to be expected in a round about trees, but I think you may have done it in the most beautiful, poetic, thought-provoking way. Despite your lyrics being fairly abstract here, there don’t appear to be any major underlying meanings, leaving your descriptive imagery and metaphors to do all the work – and they’ve done a phenomenal job. I wish I could highlight examples, but just know that your verses are practically a masterclass in descriptive songwriting. The song definitely could have been strengthened through additional underlying themes. I could see the bridge being about Β a forest that doesn’t come back to life after winter, and connecting its death after millennia of life to climate change or human intervention. Conversely, you could have personified the forest and commented on some aspect of humanity. As it is, your song’s a beautiful piece of poetry, and with an additional layer it could have lyrics as profound as they are poetically striking.Β 

Β 

@JoeAg – Conifers Smile On
It seems this song is a return to form for you. For me, that means there’s a lot of genius lines here, but also a few confounding ones. Everything you write seems well thought out and full of meaning, but that meaning doesn’t always translate to the reader. Specifically, I’m referring to β€œMy confrontations with the pines seem insignificant now/But fortunately those mighty trees will rescue me later in life”. I’m sure this line has plenty of purpose that you could explain to me, but in the context of the song I’m left perplexed even after a few reads through. I’m also a bit confused at the β€œroots feel you within seconds” line that appears a couple times in the song. I’m not sure if this is a reference to literal conifer roots feeling the characters walk (or hookup) through the forest, or if it’s meant to be a metaphorical reference to the narrator. Regardless, it didn’t connect for me. In the first verse specifically, there were also a couple quick potential fixes I wanted to call out. The verb tenses in the first two lines are inconsistent (β€œcascading” would have worked better) and the repeated use of β€œrough” was distracting. Otherwise, I loved your chosen theme – it’s something that a lot of people can relate to and you described it creatively and emotionally. Making the chorus simpler and catchier was a good choice – it contrasted well against the wordier verses. I love the image of rough pine needles and icy scowls vs a blessed, softened shelter. I think this describes both the rough, natural setting and the jagged nature of a hookup while also acknowledging the softness and beauty that come with both. As always, you do a great job of adding small details that make a story believable (Baby, be quiet, I hold the rocks to let you pass/But we’re only dots from the views of our conifers). I also loved the way you ended your song – β€œCool, crisp breeze/You, me, and the trees”. I think this encapsulated everything I described above – the harshness and softness of your setting and storyline and the poetic yet catchy lyrics. You do a great job of building a world in your songs, even if I don’t feel like the reader is completely let inside.Β 

Β 

@Achilles. – All Around the Christmas Tree
Writing a song about Christmas was a bold choice, but I’m happy you chose to do it. I’ve wanted for there to be a Christmas round for a while because I think there’s a lot of emotions around the holiday, both positive and negative, that people tend to forget about at other times of the year. I think you captured those emotions well here. There are aspects of this that feel more juvenile and cheesy like a traditional Christmas song (β€œthere are presents all around the Christmas tree/there are lots for you and lots for me”), but I think they match well to the implied age of the narrator. I’m glad that you showed a few different glimpses at ages in your life rather than skipping straight from the first to third verse, as the progression felt more natural this way. The third verse was especially powerful, as I’m sure it represents how a lot of young adults feel around the holidays. Many of us have moved far away from family, yet we still feel some obligation to celebrate and a longing to feel the same pure joy we felt at Christmas as a kid. When we stop believing in God or family, it can be hard to find a reason to celebrate. I especially like the line that you mentioned – β€œThere are ghost all around the Christmas tree/And it’s for them, these rituals I keep”. I understood the β€œghosts” to be departed or absent family members, but (and this is just an observation, not a criticism) I wouldn’t have made the inherited ornament/decoration connection had you not mentioned it in your additional information. If I were to offer one small criticism, β€œlay blame” felt a bit forced in the second verse. I really liked where you ended the song. Despite the rest of the third verse being quite depressing, you hint at there being hope in the future (a possible sequel in 10 years I hope?). There’s a lot of emotions here – happiness, anxiety, bitterness, sadness, and optimism – and you do a great job of expressing them all. For me, this was a much stronger entry than last week’s.

Β 

@Remmy – Family Tree
OK so – this is spectacular. I’m going to get the things I didn’t like out of the way, because there weren’t many. β€œWhat started as a flame/Now’s a forest fire from a cigarette” doesn’t make sense, considering you say it started as a flame and now it started as a cigarette? Is the cigarette a reference to the sibling’s smoking problem or something? β€œBlood on the knife after I did the dishes” also seemed unnecessary, and the bridge could have probably ended before that line. Otherwise, whew, I’m a Remmy stan this round. I have a friend who’s going through this exact thing right now, so I can picture exactly how the character feels. I’m not sure if this is a personal song, but it FEELS personal, so regardless you’ve done a great job at creating a believable story. Little details like β€œOur Nintendo days” make the story seem real. The opening couplet was cutting and direct, and immersed me immediately in the storyline. Even your metaphors felt hard hitting. I especially loved β€œYou jumped off the branch, went for the coast/Escaped the nest, way later than most”. In the second verse, β€œMaybe you could related, just needed dead weight” was another highlight. The bridge was a beautiful example of poppy, lyrical songwriting that still felt poetic. The wordplay here reminded me a bit of country music. It’s also catchy enough that it could have worked as a chorus. The final couplet had a strong sense of resolve and defiance. In all, you had a strong storyline, effective metaphors, and beautiful personal details. This is definitely a round highlight for me.

Β 

@Gavin. – Roots Keep Me Here
Considering trees and roots are a well-established symbol for stability, I’m surprised more people didn’t take this route this round. Despite this I wish your concept was more fully realized. As it stands, I can tell your song is about a sense of feeling stuck, but that’s about it. I could see this being a song about being stuck in a hometown, or a song about being stuck in a relationship, or even a song about being stuck in a bad mental state. I would have loved to see one of those themes fleshed out. Since your verses were fairly short, you could have used the extra space to add in personal details to deepen the concept. Your songwriting here was good. Structurally, you nailed all the elements of a great song. Lyrically, you also effectively conveyed a sense of emotion and provided some depth through your metaphors. In other ways, this song felt like a summary of every other song this round. You hit a lot of the same metaphors as other writers through referencing seasons, carving words into bark, and having deep roots. Since you didn’t delve deeper into any specific theme, I don’t think you provided anything new to those concepts that hasn’t already been said a thousand times before in songwriting. I really think it simply comes down to your overall concept – had you included more personal detail or told a deeper story, you would have naturally taken the tree theme further. None of this says anything about your ability – you obviously have a good grasp on how to write a good song, and this song WAS good. Had your concept been more fully realized, I think it could have been even better.
Β 

Β 

• ATRL Moderator

Thanks, Jackson! :heart:Β Really sorry that the song felt unfinished, maybe it was a bit rushed tho :'( but I LOVE your ideas on these alternative endings :jonnycat:

@JacksonΒ Thank you for the review! I do realize that I write pretty literally, but I do have trouble going beyond that except occasionally. I hope I’ll be able to change that at some point, but it’s definitely something I struggle with.

For anyone who might still be a bit overwhelmed/unsure about the Spoken Word challenge and what it's asking, try thinking of it as a free round (a round without any thematic or conceptual inspiration), with the additional requirement of a portion of your song designed to be spoken rather than sung. This can be done in songs for a myriad of reasons, such as for dramatic effect, to build tension, or even used as comic relief (think Taylor's "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" with lyrics such as, "indie record that's much cooler than mine" and the "phone call" bridge, and elements of "Blank Space"). The latter examples show how spoken word can be interpolated into popular music to add a point of difference or variety, without having to be too "artsy" or melodramatic if you don't wish to go down that direction.

Β 

fountain has listed some great examples, but feel free to share some of your favourite songs with spoken word elements! I'm sure the other judges (and some of y'all) will drag me, but I've always loved Katy Perry's "This Is How We Do" and its spoken word bridge. It's just so fun!

Β 

Β 

The all-around praises from Jackson, oh my! We might be growing our most acclaimed round yet. :cupid:

Β 

Not Jackson not understanding the "crown" in Legend E's song was referring to the canopy, flop judge. :fan:

i'm inspired in my music and have been working on my own album inspired by folklore. Like, i might even shoot photos for this project :jonny:

Β 

The Green

Β 

73570ae8883dd8a7a87187e11ac9ed8b

Β 

Once upon a time, when were youngΒ 
Before you knew her nameΒ 
The woods were filled with loveΒ 
And innocence that never felt too strange

Edited by Better Mistakes

47 minutes ago, Better Mistakes said:

i'm inspired in my music and have been working on my own album inspired by folklore. Like, i might even shoot photos for this project :jonny:

Β 

The Green

Β 

73570ae8883dd8a7a87187e11ac9ed8b

Β 

Once upon a time, when were youngΒ 
Before you knew her nameΒ 
The woods were filled with loveΒ 
And innocence that never felt too strange

And WHERE was this in the tree challenge submissions?Β :giraffe:

11 hours ago, Euterpe said:

@JacksonΒ Thank you for the review! I do realize that I write pretty literally, but I do have trouble going beyond that except occasionally. I hope I’ll be able to change that at some point, but it’s definitely something I struggle with.

If you wanted to work on it, I think you could do it on a line-by-line basis. After you write your song, go back and think "how I can I say this in a more interesting way" or "how can I say this without plainly stating what's happening". You don't have to go full @Temporal, but it can be helpful to have a thesaurus and rhyming dictionary open when writing

Β 

6 hours ago, Aurora said:

The all-around praises from Jackson, oh my! We might be growing our most acclaimed round yet. :cupid:

Β 

Not Jackson not understanding the "crown" in Legend E's song was referring to the canopy, flop judge. :fan:

Considering there's no other reference to trees in the chorus, I think the average person wouldn't understand "tall wide crown" to be a reference to trees if they didn't read the additional informationΒ :giraffe:. That's what I was getting at - you don't always have to plainly state what you're talking about, but it is possible to be too cryptic without context clues

46 minutes ago, fountain said:

And WHERE was this in the tree challenge submissions?Β :giraffe:

i guess the challenge inspired me slightly. it's written about the woods and green space where I used to play as a kid etc. :toofunny2:

33 minutes ago, Jackson said:

If you wanted to work on it, I think you could do it on a line-by-line basis. After you write your song, go back and think "how I can I say this in a more interesting way" or "how can I say this without plainly stating what's happening". You don't have to go full @Temporal, but it can be helpful to have a thesaurus and rhyming dictionary open when writing

I do all these things.Β :deadbanana:

Might rework this for this round

Β 

Β 

Β 

(Verse 1)
Cold sheets, teased me
I’m stuck in that time with you
You lost me but who wants the consolation prize?
Reckless, senseless that’s how you left my mind
But you’re still on my mind, my mind

Β 

(Chorus)
I wanna be the one you’re driving back home toΒ 
The one you’ll **** in the bathroom
Kissing your tattoos, passionate red huesΒ 
He calls it his bedroom, I slept in that bed tooΒ 
The one who won when he loved youΒ 
I party without you, it’s nothing without youΒ 
I’m dying without you
I wanna be the one you come toΒ 

Β 

(Verse 2)
My phone’s filled with the images you sent me
False hope, I know but God the scene’s so sweet
I know you don’t think or dream and fantasiseΒ 
When you look into his eyesΒ 

Β 

(Chorus)

Β 

(Post Chorus)
Be the one you
Be the one youΒ 
Be the one you
I wanna be the one you come toΒ 

Β 

(Bridge)
The last time we spoke my
My whole world, it turned black
Hoping that you’d **** up or get bored of him
I was wrong

Β 

(Chorus)

Β 

(Post Chorus)

Β 

(Outro)
The oneΒ 
Be the one you
Be the one you

I am currently working on reading and scoring each entry in time for results tonight byΒ @Aurora. Unfortunately I likely won’t be able to post reviews before the results take place, it’s been a busy weekend and I’m also not feeling too great now as it reaches its end. I will still write reviews for each song though, working on them over the next few days, and I’ll also reveal in them what score I gave each entry for full transparency, and give advice based on how that score could have been raised for me. Hopefully that can help make up for them being delayed!Β 

16 hours ago, Jackson said:

@Hug – Welcome to the Club

Okay I wanted to respond to this because some of what you said made me think a bit. I really have been more focused on making technically sound things and branching out to different ideas (PLEASE THROW AWAY YOUR MENTIONS OF THE WORD IRONY AT THE DOOR) as opposed to making things that feature the qualities that long-time participants in these games may know me for. Tbh I'm shocked I'm the only one who thought to do a treehouse theme this time I thought it'd be another obvious route.

Β 

I appreciated seeing what you view a typical "me" piece to be like, and that you called it a return to form of sorts. I said the same thing to a certain dearly-departed-from-ATRL friend when I was talking to them about my entry this week. I felt like this was more "me" than any of my other entries this season, and having that reaffirmed by one of the most respectable members of our community we've built means a lot to me. Thank you. β™₯

Β 

Oh, and I think now is a good of time as any to apologize to the judges for also having to play therapist in the thread when we have meltdowns over our performances or are just not feeling confident about our abilities. That is NOT what you signed up for, but it's tradition in these writing games at this point. We're an emotional bunch and that's why we write to begin with isn't it? ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.