Golden Hit: Season 2 📀 Congratulations Hug! 🏆

Aurora

18 minutes ago, XO_Life said:

1. Tell us a little about yourself (preferred name, pronouns, etc.)

Ryan, 27 years old, He/Him, Single, Gay

2. What is your previous experience with songwriting?

I have written some lyrics in order to work on my mental health

3. Who are your favourite artists, songwriters, and/or both?

Rihanna, Sia, Taylor Swift, Bebe Rexha

4. What are your favourite lyrics, and the best written songs in your opinion?

You call me up again just to break me like a promise, so casually cruel in the Name of being honest, I am a crumbled up piece of paper lying here and I remember it all too well. :gaycat1:

5. What are some of your main sources of creative inspiration?

Clubbing, Dancing, Mental Health struggles... basically crying in the club

6. Lastly, feel free to share some examples of your writing!

:gaygacat6:

Welcome! I'll add you to the sign-ups list. "All Too Well" really is a songwriter's classic—it even inspired a whole challenge last season of Golden Hit, the "ATW10MVTVFTV" challenge, in which writers had to write a long-form song (500+ words). Looking forward to seeing what you have to offer!

15 minutes ago, Gavin. said:

Haven’t wrote a song in ages if we’re being honest but down to get that part of my mind back in action! Here’s to flopping yasssss

1. Julia Fox

2. Euterpe

3. Legend E

4. hurricane326

5. Jack!

6. Remmy

7. Allday

8. TruGemini

9. Temporal

10. Achilles.
11. Hooker Barbie
12. Better Mistakes
13. Gavin.

Oh wow, I definitely remember seeing your name submit for one of the past writing tournaments. Were you around for the Platinum Hit days, by any chance? Good to see you regardless, and thanks for signing up!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountain

• Aurora

• Legend E

• Hug

Top Posters In This Topic

• ATRL Moderator

1. Tell us a little about yourself (preferred name, pronouns, etc.)

Dan, he/him. Legend E or E both also work tho idc

I feel it has started since primary school, but obviously got better with age and with me discovering more sources of inspiration + getting more life experience

3. Who are your favourite artists, songwriters, and/or both?

Kelly Clarkson and Madonna are my two absolute faves. I actually feel both are excellent and very underrated songwriters. I feel both have their specific way of emoting as well, which I have not found in many other artists. Dido, Sarah McLachlan, Alanis, Cyndi, Mariah, Florence, Lorde, Lana, Kacey are also some of my favourite songwriters/artists.

Hands Clean, Sally's Pigeons, Drowned World (Substitute for Love), Irvine, Grafton Street, Outside, Writer in the Dark are some of the best written songs from the girlies listed above.

Life generally and the emotional intensity at which I kind of live every (sad) thing that happens to me. But it also comes from any album/series/films I like at the time.

6. Lastly, feel free to share some examples of your writing!

:thing: 

2 hours ago, Aurora said:

"how does it feel to be sad and ****** up and lonely at the same time now that I left you here alone with your poor mind?" :jonny3:

I think "Chained" is a fitting title honestly, but I also like "Scene". Hmm, perhaps one in parentheses could work i.e. "Chained (Scene)". :matty:

I realize “Not Chained” works better tbh

My name is Jack, in 26 from Scotland. He/him!

I've been writing seriously for the last maybe 12 or so years? I was always a music head growing up and went on to study contemporary music at college where I got involved in bands and then onto my own stuff. I was in a heavy metal band (:skull:) so was never too sure about lyricism and a lot of what I was writing was instrumental and the lyrics were an afterthought, but I pushed myself when I was writing my own music to be more creative in that sense and it payed since I won PH4 many moons ago. It's something I love to do and have always found it a good way to express myself.

My music selection is pretty eclectic. I love pop music, some of my favourite pop artists are Lady Gaga, Carly Rae Jepsen, Josef Salvat, Mika, Beyoncé, Kylie Minogue. However when it comes to my own writing inspirations sonically I've always loved classic rock/metal and their songwriting techniques and draw a lot of inspiration from that. Acts like Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Kiss, Scorpion, Ratt. More examples of artists too that would be HAIM and someone like Poppy. A great merge of genres that's pulled off well.

"I don't know where to begin, there's too many things that I can't remember. I disappeared like a trend, in the hum of the 5 in the early morning" / "And I guess it's not a failure we could help, and we'll both go on to get lonely with someone else." Both from a song called 'No Room in Frame' by Death Cab for Cutie. Lovely song and always hits me when I hear it.

It can come from anything really, it depends on what I've been going through/am going through at any given time. Also sometimes just for the fun it. It can be good to clear your head if you just maybe wanna write about something inanimate or about a false story. Can be cathartic haha.

I'm a bit skittish sharing these here since I know they're recordings rather than lyrics. Some from my old metal band called Baw Deep In Love (PLEASE ignore the screechy singing and bad mixing, I think we payed about £100 to make this and it shows in the quality :skull: Also the crude lyrical content and the fact I'm playing straight here lol) and another that's more subdued called Be Mine. And here's an acoustically ballad I wrote myself called Broken. I'll also share this, it's the lyrics I wrote in the last round of PH4 which I wrote into a song, which isn't that great, but anyway here you go it's called 18 Years.

Edited by Jack!

1. Tell us a little about yourself (preferred name, pronouns, etc.)

Im Marnie (Marnstar), but everyone calls me allday or Sempitneral 

Im a she, taken, from Australia and straight.

Amx3c43.gif

2. What is your previous experience with songwriting?

Back in high school (mind you this was over a decade ago now) when I was bored I wrote my own songs in school. How I was feeling kinda like a diary. I also used to play create a label and sometimes had to write my own songs for that.

25jO69t.gif

Im probably going to be terrible at it but I'm joining and giving it a go just for fun.

3. Who are your favourite artists, songwriters, and/or both?

My favourite singers/artiste & they write there own songs. Is allday (Tom gaynor) can tell he writes all his songs and about his life growing up. Think it's where I got inspired to sign up for this game.

Also Denis Stoff, Machine Gun Kelly, huddy.

are other boys I stan.

With pop girls it always changes my main is rihanna but we all know she's retired. 

5irtqkw.gif

4. What are your favourite lyrics, and the best written songs in your opinion?

My favourite lyrics is from love is dead by kerli I remember singing the chrous love is dead, love is gone, love don't live here anymore all through my teenage life. Since I've never had luck with love. I always felt related to it.

Same with how do you love someone Ashley Tisdale. Just the parts where rather never showed my mum love, mum never held daddy's hand.  It was just my pure childlife around that time is when I slowly started to write my own in class. 

95gJXKh.gif

6. Lastly, feel free to share some examples of your writing!

Im going in completely fresh. Im the type that writes in the moment and how im feeling. So just gotta wait and see. 

0sHxwlM.gif

:heart:

5 hours ago, Aurora said:

Oh boy things just got REAL interesting now. :eek: Come to snatch another title? Score a few more #1 hits? Get that coveted 9+ scoring opus?

Side note: I was reading our purposeful pop collab "Pyramid" a short while ago and we kinda served, definitely too ahead of its time for certain people I think!

tumblr_mr72k0JT311qd8zg3o1_250.gif90f371d2e8211c39f9dc2484e97178df.gif

I forgot about Pyramids, an AP English classic!

I'm just hoping to write something that will age well since a lot of my content reads like ass now :laugh: 

5 hours ago, XO_Life said:

1. Tell us a little about yourself (preferred name, pronouns, etc.)

Ryan, 27 years old, He/Him, Single, Gay

I have written some lyrics in order to work on my mental health

3. Who are your favourite artists, songwriters, and/or both?

Rihanna, Sia, Taylor Swift, Bebe Rexha

You call me up again just to break me like a promise, so casually cruel in the Name of being honest, I am a crumbled up piece of paper lying here and I remember it all too well. :gaycat1:

Clubbing, Dancing, Mental Health struggles... basically crying in the club

6. Lastly, feel free to share some examples of your writing!

:gaygacat6:

5 hours ago, Gavin. said:

Haven’t wrote a song in ages if we’re being honest but down to get that part of my mind back in action! Here’s to flopping yasssss

1. Julia Fox

2. Euterpe

3. Legend E

4. hurricane326

5. Jack!

6. Remmy

7. Allday

8. TruGemini

9. Temporal

10. Achilles.
11. Hooker Barbie
12. Better Mistakes
13. Gavin.

Welcome! Thank you for signing up :heart:

5 hours ago, Julia Fox said:

Also love Lorde, Shakira and Lily Allen because I love how they have her own songwriting style and make it work because it’s all

so authentic and unique. That’s the mark I want to reach with my songwriting.

This is actually really interesting, I think I can definitely see some of their influence in your writing from last season! Love it

5 hours ago, Julia Fox said:

Right now is my personal life. A month ago I realized that the past three years for me have been very chaotic and I don’t mean that in a bad way. I mean a lot has happened and still is. I can say songwriting has helped me a lot to find what I have been through and without it I couldn’t even have been able to realize how many things have happened in my life since 2019. Really the most intense, skillful and unexpected moments of my entire life 

I really like your outlook that even if life might have been chaotic it doesn’t necessarily always have to go in a bad way. I think this could make great inspiration for some songs!

5 hours ago, Augmented said:

Me signing up with absolutely no creative motivation at the moment :dies:

Hopefully the challenges we have planned might be able to provide some inspiration :lakitu:

Will have to reply to the rest tomorrow but I’m loving reading everybody’s introductions :bird:

First challenge will also be posted tomorrow! 

:fish::giraffe::swan::chick2::pig::hippo::duck::kitty::pancake::squirrel::ducky::sats::johnald:

:eddie:

Too many posts to quote, so let me just use tags instead!

@Legend E: We loved seeing you write from a place of personal experience last season, I definitely think that is a strong suit of yours! You certainly know how to channel those personal emotive experiences into song well.

@Julia Fox: Ooh, I like that title better too honestly!

@hurricane326: Good to see you back! If your work this season is anything like that teaser we're certainly in for a treat. :duca:

@Jack!: Welcome back! Another Scottish writer, we have to stan. :clap3: I can also relate to not necessarily taking strong songwriting inspiration from the artists you listen to most—I love basic pop but don't consider that to be my go-to writing style (anymore, anyway!) Looking forward to listening after work.

@Allday: I love that you're joining for fun! At the end of the day we're all amateurs here (well, most of us) and having fun and helping in any way we can is the main goal. "How Do You Love Someone" is a great underrated track! Ms. Beaton snapped writing that one.

@Temporal: Forgotten?! The disrespect. Living up to its name, it has stood the test of time and remains as relevant as ever, I'd say, AP English level lyricism aside! Sounds like you're a little hard on your past work, I'm sure a lot of it still reads wonderfully, as will your new works. :alexz3:

I kinda want to join again, but I have commitment issues :dancehall3:

13 minutes ago, JonginBey said:

I kinda want to join again, but I have commitment issues :dancehall3:

Luckily the format is built with that in mind, we don't hold it against you if you have to pop in and out between rounds, or even if you want to submit for the first time in Round 6! :giraffe:

I will try it. I am always flopping but let me just be a cute filler.

Haven't written for a while again but I loved how relaxed the format is so will give it a try! 

1. Julia Fox

2. Euterpe

3. Legend E

4. hurricane326

5. Jack!

6. Remmy

7. Allday

8. TruGemini

9. Temporal

10. Achilles.
11. Hooker Barbie
12. Better Mistakes
13. Gavin.

14. CountryBritney

Hi! I may give this a try since it's been so long and I really missed it 

1. Julia Fox

2. Euterpe

3. Legend E

4. hurricane326

5. Jack!

6. Remmy

7. Allday

8. TruGemini

9. Temporal

10. Achilles.
11. Hooker Barbie
12. Better Mistakes
13. Gavin.

14. CountryBritney

15. FCKNAmbrosia

7 hours ago, 8thPrince said:

Luckily the format is built with that in mind, we don't hold it against you if you have to pop in and out between rounds, or even if you want to submit for the first time in Round 6! :giraffe:

Well, hard to argue with that :gaycat6:

1. Julia Fox

2. Euterpe

3. Legend E

4. hurricane326

5. Jack!

6. Remmy

7. Allday

8. TruGemini

9. Temporal

10. Achilles.
11. Hooker Barbie
12. Better Mistakes
13. Gavin.

14. CountryBritney

15. FCKNAmbrosia

16. JonginBey

You can call me whatever you want :gaycat3:. He/Him

Participated in some Platinum Hit seasons and that's it. More like a poetry guy (but with a fickle inspiration)

Lana Del Rey, Fiona Apple, Kate Bush, Frank Ocean, Rosalia, Bjork, Lorde, St. Vincent, The Weeknd, Wolf Alice, Beach House, Taylor Swift, HAIM, Weyes Blood, Father John Misty, FKA twigs, Jessie Ware, Phoebe Bridgers, Florence Welch and many more 

One of my faves rn: 

"Primal and naked
You dream of walls that hold us imprisoned
It's just a skull, least that's what they call it
And we're free to roam"

-"White Ferrari" by Frank Ocean

My life because my work is kinda always autobigraphical. But lately I've been inspired by astrology, nature and Romanian folklore

Here is the last thing I had written

Trespassing

Just because you built a home

Using my resources

You think you're entitled to call me 

Your property. 

You're wrong. 

You don't know nothing

You don't know 

Where I start, 

Where I end

You're just a trespasser 

Lost in my mist. 

I'm Jackson, I'm 26, live in the US, etc etc :foxaylove3:

I've been writing for as long as I can remember. I've participated in ATRL songwriting competitions off and on since 2014 as a contestant, host, and judge. I also play piano and guitar and sing. I have an EP that you can listen to here (and working on another currently).

I've been really into Scandinavian artists lately - LEON is my current fave. More long term, my favorite writers have been Kacey Musgraves (I love her wordplay and the way she writes about love and small town life), Skylar Grey (the juxtaposition of her dark lyrics with light, airy vocals and production), and Katy Perry (more conceptually than lyrically - she brings a bright, colorful, explosive concept to life like no one else in pop). 

Yada, yada, yah, yada, yada, yah-yah
Yada, yada, yada, bom-bom, kah-kah
Blastin' on that, blast on that a-
Fan me quick, girl, I need my glass

:jonny5:

Typically my own personal life, or thinking about how other people might live in other places in the world. 

Links to all my lyrics from past competitions are linked here!

16 hours ago, Legend E said:

Kelly Clarkson and Madonna are my two absolute faves. I actually feel both are excellent and very underrated songwriters. I feel both have their specific way of emoting as well, which I have not found in many other artists.

Very true, both iconic queens. :clap3:

All I Ever Wanted album of the century tbh!

15 hours ago, hurricane326 said:

I can almost see the horizon
From this seat I couldn't have a better view
I can see the sun broil down into the ocean
Its last luminous entrails fading into the blue

Is this from a full song or a working idea? It’s very nice :chick2:

15 hours ago, Jack! said:

I'm a bit skittish sharing these here since I know they're recordings rather than lyrics. Some from my old metal band called Baw Deep In Love (PLEASE ignore the screechy singing and bad mixing, I think we payed about £100 to make this and it shows in the quality :skull: Also the crude lyrical content and the fact I'm playing straight here lol) and another that's more subdued called Be Mine. And here's an acoustically ballad I wrote myself called Broken. I'll also share this, it's the lyrics I wrote in the last round of PH4 which I wrote into a song, which isn't that great, but anyway here you go it's called 18 Years.

Omg I am so here for this :jonny4: king of metal. I’m listening to the songs right now and I actually really like them, so interesting to see somebody with a background like this, I love it!

Edited by fountain

15 hours ago, Allday said:

Im probably going to be terrible at it but I'm joining and giving it a go just for fun.

This is not a bad way to look at it tbh, the game definitely has some competitive aspects but first and foremost it should be about having fun and anybody can join at any skill level with their songwriting! Hopefully the feedback we provide can help you feel more confident in your writing, and who knows, maybe you will even surprise yourself and do great! As long as you have fun and write true to yourself then that’s all that matters :bird:

10 hours ago, Astro said:

issa lil explicit but..

Wait this serve! Definitely here for rap if that’s what you want to go for, we actually had @TruGemini do really great in season one and even get a #1 with their rap entries, and we had some explicit songs place very high in rounds too so it’ll be interesting to see if the same happens this season :chick2:

8 hours ago, beatinglikeadrum said:

I will try it. I am always flopping but let me just be a cute filler.

Ahh welcome back! With Golden Hit having no eliminations hopefully we can see more entries from you and explore your writing more :eddie:

actually want to try this out so sign me up please :fountain:

6 hours ago, CountryBritney said:

Haven't written for a while again but I loved how relaxed the format is so will give it a try! 

Omg welcome back! Very excited to see your writing again. Golden Hit definitely is more relaxed, so hope you find it a fun experience :heart:

4 hours ago, FCKNAmbrosia said:

Hi! I may give this a try since it's been so long and I really missed it 

Eek welcome back! It really has been forever, looking forward to seeing your writing again! :chick2:

4 hours ago, FCKNAmbrosia said:

Here is the last thing I had written

I really like this and think it seems very promising so far, would be very cool to see this idea explored more and fleshed out in a full song! 

57 minutes ago, DatChickDoe said:

Make Up Lipstick GIF

I am back and cannot wait!! :celestial:

Yaaas welcome back again! Looking forward to seeing what you write this season :smiley:

20 minutes ago, worldwide angel said:

actually want to try this out so sign me up please :fountain:

Welcome, thank you for signing up :heart2:

I don’t mind being called fountain, or my real name which is Lee, and I’m fine with any pronouns :gaycat2:

I’ve been taking part in songwriting games on here since 2014, and they’ve definitely been integral in helping improve my writing and develop my creativity. I started writing a few years before that but it was really through taking part in games like this, and then later judging and hosting them, which has made me a better writer. 

My favourite is Jonna Lee (iamamiwhoami / ionnalee), I’ve loved music forever but when I discovered her it really changed my perception of what music can be, and levels of creativity as a whole.

I also really love Amy Winehouse, Ryn Weaver, Lights, Maggie Rogers and Porter Robinson.

In pop girl terms I listen to Beyoncé, Kesha, Gaga and Kylie most. 

New Constellations by Ryn Weaver will probably always be one of my most favourite songs written, I also really love Turning Page by Sleeping at Last, Lilo and Chewing Cotton Wool by The Japanese House, fountain by iamamiwhoami and Where the Fence is Low by Lights.

Its hard for me to not write things that are directly related to or inspired by my life and my experiences, or my outlook on life. Even when I start writing something that doesn’t necessarily have the intention of being personal, it tends to end up being so because that it what feels most natural. I try to write things that I wish I could hear in music, things that I personally would connect with and think would resonate with likeminded people. 

This is the most recent song I have written, it is about where I am currently at with my creative journey:

Hat Off, Rabbit Out

I could be a classic, I could be beautiful

I could be anything

I could be on that stage too

And it wouldn’t feel different, the view

To when I felt it then

Turning round, seeing the open space

And all the people there, wonder in face

It’s a moment, not a memory

And in that place, soon there’ll be me

Well, ambition like that, rock hard as if to crack

But what would be a world not built on stone

Or a life without goals to atone

For the unlikeliness of them 

And the nerve to indict possibility 

If it should mean something to me

I’ll stand up toward the taking, be

One hand free to reach out then

And the crowd would think I was doing it for them

If only so, if touch could be so powerful

I would do it with my whole body

And I would not think, and jump,

Landing there among the arms

I could not think, and jump

As if I wasn’t known to float

I will not think, and jump

Been doing it for a while

No glory in the wait or anything to behold

Unless you looked inside my mind and saw the frames made bold 

And how I’d stand before them there, tapping the thinking cap

That brimmed the place to create this, of which I’ve no take back

In what might dance around, and does, another world between the line, 

The surface thin but no reflection in this sight of mine

I only notice anyway, that heavy head of crown black

And then I do something that’s unexpected, from my lack 

And then I do something so unexpected, 

Hat off, rabbit out!

One hand free to reach out then,

Like I am God, passing years of my time to businessmen

A selling of the self, maybe, for what it is worth

I think to dream is a right, too mine, from birth 

Should the ovation sound, you’re subject of the cheer now

Or painter of perplexed face contours

Have an effect on them; conjure thought,

Or baseless rejection, not the simple sort

It’s regardless of the purpose, of my function there

Me on stage, and whatever that looks like 

Up there, presenting every word, as if they’re mine —

Because they are; before the jury then, I must be fine 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.