Golden Hit: Season 2 📀 Congratulations Hug! 🏆

Aurora

Aw this would've been a cute round for me :'( But as I said before, I just don't have the time and will likely not have the brain power. My flight is in around 21 hours and once we land we're gonna be working on a lot of house stuff before our furniture arrives in a week and a half-ish.

also Jackson :kiss:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountain

• Aurora

• Legend E

• Hug

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Remmy said:

Aw this would've been a cute round for me :'( But as I said before, I just don't have the time and will likely not have the brain power. My flight is in around 21 hours and once we land we're gonna be working on a lot of house stuff before our furniture arrives in a week and a half-ish.

also Jackson :kiss:

Nooooo we hate to see it :weeps:

I have a couple ideas after walking, idk if I will stick with any of them but hey not every idea is a winner ?‍♂️

Oop I like this round considering I sleep most my life.

Ribbon-Reviews-S2-fountain.png

Round 4: The Spoken Word Challenge

@hurricane326 - Autumn

It was hard to be 100% sure where the song was meant to be spoken or not since it hadn’t been indicated, so I read it as if it was intended all to be spoken, and I’m assuming that’s what you were going for. Not to parrot myself, but as usual this is up to your high standard of being well written, enticing and vivid. I liked the overall story you were presenting, and I appreciated the focus on emotion throughout the song which definitely resonated for me, however I do think it could have used a bit more context. It’s obvious that the narrator/yourself has a dread for the impending autumn, and I absolutely loved the personal touches throughout this song, however no specific reason is presented for this (you touched on it slightly in your song description, however in the lyrics themselves there isn’t much background for this emotion). I think this is fine, but the song in my opinion definitely would have been much stronger with some of this included; the song itself is quite short, also, so I don’t think it would’ve been too hard to add on to it in this way. However as I said, focusing more on what is here as opposed to what isn’t here, this is another strong piece that showed your skill as a writer; it just could have been pushed further and went deeper, I feel.

@XO_Life - Only Ones Who Know

I love the style that you went for with this song, it was very cinematic and I thoroughly enjoyed the story you presented throughout it, which I thought was really touching. I’d agree in comparing it to a Lana type song, but I would say I think this is actually better than what I would typically expect of her writing. I thought this song was full of real genuine emotion, and it was really touching and easy to connect to. To me, this is easily your best song so far and the most well written, and you’ve definitely shown some great growth here in comparison to earlier entries (Drink That Up is found dead in a ditch). I am hoping that we will see this reflected in how you song ranks this round and I definitely feel it deserves to be your highest thus far. Great job this round!

@Allday - Leaving The City

I think this song shows good promise, but could be altered a little. I like the theme that you went for with moving on, and that’s shown well with the central idea about leaving the city. I specifically enjoyed how the narrator points out that friends often times in situations like this don’t offer up as much help as they think they do, as they are coming from an outsider perspective with rose coloured glasses and can’t relate to what you are actually going through because they weren’t there or don’t know the details, or how you feel. I’ve been in situations before and I like that you touched on this in the song, it’s very illuminating and like you make a point of in the song, sometimes you even have to avoid people because they say things like this, which doesn’t genuinely help. I thought that verse was pretty nuanced and the highlight of the song for me. However, I do think that the song needed more background to it to help make it as resonant as possible; you have this narrator who is talking about how they need to leave the city and reflection on their feelings in the past tense, but no real explanation of what actually happened to set all of this off, and I think if we did have that then it would have strengthened the song a lot. Focusing on the emotion is fine, but it solely being the song makes it tricky as, as a reader, you want to know the reasoning behind what is happening. Overall though, I think this is a good draft of a song, but that it just could use a little more work which would help make it stronger.

@Julia Fox - I will know

I thought this was a really sweet song. One of the things that I appreciated most was that the speech was spread out throughout the entire song, and I think with the theme and the story you are telling it worked well this way and helps the song feel more emotional. You probably didn’t write it with this intention in mind, but I heard it as a kind of musical-esque song, where the main character is singing through their emotion and explaining the story, while also taking breaks where they speak, and it was fun to envision it this way. It’s a pretty bittersweet song, but I thought it was quite touching. Usually post breakup the songs can be quite melodramatic and sombre, but I appreciated that this song was written from a space of confidence and was very assured, I liked this a lot and I think we could use music like this more. Lyrically I thought this mood was matched and conveyed well, and I feel it is quite brave to write from a personal  place like this so I applaud you on it. Overall I thought this was another strong song for you, thankfully definitely a return to form after last round! Good job.

@Kylie Jenner - This Is War

I really liked the spoken aspects of your song. To me, those two sections were quite obviously the most well written and impressive parts. I liked the slight juxtaposition between the thoughtful opening and closing monologues and then more catchy, simplistic song between, however for me that inner song just wasn’t unique or developed enough for this to really stand out to me. The spoken parts definitely did stand out however, and I have to say I really did much prefer your writing here, however with the song portion it was just too generic for me. I think trying to fit this theme into a pop song structure actually did a disservice to it, because I did like the set up with the opening monologue and the possible story that could go on, but then when it came to the song section it just didn’t go anywhere honestly. I think it’s fine to want to write pop songs, but this is an example where simplistic crosses over to basic a little for me (speaking specifically about the song portion as opposed to the spoken sections). However, I did really appreciate those spoken monologues, so it’s a bit of a mix for me. Like Jackson said, attempting a middle ground between the two and trying to incorporate some of that style from the spoken segments into your more pop leaning writing would really pay off in making it feel more unique, well written and memorable. Overall, I think this had potential and some definite redeeming factors to it, but when it came to the main song it just wasn’t developed or deep enough. With a little work, this could be wonderful though, and I’m gonna have that vocoder stuck in my head for a day again.

@Hug - [C:\DIGITAL-DYSTOPIA] (feat. Alluring Name)

The creativity here is truly off the charts. From writing, producing, conceptualising and recording this, all I can say is that you’ve done an exceptional job, and you are right to be proud of this. This is an incredibly unique and thoughtful interpretation of the challenge, and I absolutely adored it. We love when people go outside the box, push themselves beyond the limit of what might be expected, and there is no doubt that this is what you’ve achieved here. Now, not only is it impressive in its conceptualisation and execution, but I’m happy to say I really enjoyed your writing, too. The story here is really intriguing, and I think my favourite thing specifically are the voices; we get to hear from the creator of this ‘digital utopia’ and also from (what is at least assumed to be?) God, and that really takes it to the next level for me. You could’ve presented this story in any way, but choosing to go about it in such a method as this is both ballsy and genius. I really admire what you’ve created here, it’s so evident that you put a lot into this and I will say I absolutely hope it pays off. For me, there’s no doubt that it did. Wonderful job.

(Loved your friend’s performance, your production and even the pitched down muffled vocals, which I think actually added an edge to being able to hear the song, and kind of made me wonder - though idk if this was intentional or not - is this character really God, or just someone/something pretending to be it, in quite a sinister way? Very interesting. Definitely send your friend her much deserved praise from us!)

@Better Mistakes - Cruel World

I love the inspiration behind your song, and the choice to incorporate this into your song was really lovely. I’m going to talk about the sections in particular as opposed to the song overall; and I’ll start by saying I really enjoyed the pre chorus and the spoken word bridge and outro. I felt these sections were really well written, poignant and thoughtful. They put across the story you were trying to tell well and lived up to the inspiration behind your song. Now, unfortunately, I didn’t appreciate the verses or the chorus in the same way. To me, they weren’t up to the same standard that was set in other sections of the song and, ultimately, didn’t add much overall to the song itself. It’s a repeat of other criticism I’ve given out, but these sections are just too short (the verses) and too repetitive (the chorus) to actually stand out or offer much to the song. I’m torn in this way because those parts were a real let down, but I know you can write well and it’s evident in the song through it’s other sections, so in a way it almost just ends up feeling unfinished because of how much potential is left untouched. Overall, it’s a mixed bag for me because I really enjoyed quite a few aspects and parts of the song, but then those other ones pointed out just felt almost like filler, so it’s a shame. Ultimately I think you’ve shown your capability to write using the spoken word sections, but that the song overall needs more work in earlier parts to meet its full potential.

@beatinglikeadrum - xxx (forbidden prayer)

So I saw your post saying this was rushed at the last minute to avoid not submitting, so obviously it’s not going to be your best and I won’t try to judge it as such. I actually think, considering it was so last minute, it’s actually in a way quite impressive that you came up with something like this in such a short amount of time. I think it’s evident even from something rushed like this that you have a great writing ability, and I also enjoyed the theme behind the song and how thoughtful it was, but obviously the overall piece does need more work to polish it out a bit more because it does give off the energy that it needs editing done. Despite this, looking at what this entry did achieve in the little time that was put into it, I think it’s clear you have a skill with writing, even in rushed instances, but this of course was not the best example of it. The obvious advice for the future would be to put more time into you entry to impress as highly as you did last round; you have a wonderful poetic style that I love reading, I just hope your next entry can be worked on more to show off your writing in the way it deserves. 

@Remmy - Flowerbloom (S2 Version) [Live from the Memorial Civil Center in Canton, Ohio)

It’s hard for me to remember what is new or changed and what remains the same, but from top to bottom (yas) I thought this was entirely strong. Pretty much every line is a punchline in some kind of way, and they land. Now, if only you hadn’t submitted this before… I find it hard to know what to do with this. Thanks for putting us in this position, your score could really be anything! 

@Augmented - The Battle

I thoroughly enjoyed this song. My favourite aspect, and something which I think paired well with your writing, was that the song was written in free form with each section being a new verse led into by the previous one. I always appreciated writing like this that focuses on telling a story as opposed to relying on repetition, and I think you pulled it off really well; in fact, I could even have gone for more! I definitely wouldn’t have minded if this were a few verses longer, because I enjoyed them enough to be left wanting more; to know what happened to this person afterwards, and I think that’s a sign of a really well written piece.  Overall, I felt this was another strong entry from you. You continue to impress me, and I always look forward to seeing what you are going to write next. Great job. 

@Legend E - Interviewing Myself

This was really bittersweet for me, because while I definitely enjoyed reading the song, the subject matter I found quite sad and it really made me feel for anybody in this position. I think it’s because I find it quite relatable, really there are times in our love lives where we all will find ourselves in this position, and it’s quite bittersweet, because you want to create something great with somebody, but for whatever reason the reciprocation isn’t there. It’s a shame, I found the topic really nicely explored throughout your song though, it’s definitely an emotive piece which really took me back to situations like this. That relatability presented is strong and of course a sign of a great writer and a great song. The concept of the narrator interviewing themself and speaking about this situation with themself was a really clever way of interpreting the challenge, and paired really well with the subject matter of this song; very nicely done. Overall I think this is another strong, thoughtful piece of writing from you; another example of your ability as a writer. Great job. 

@Euterpe - Wasteland

For me, this is one of… no, the most powerful song that we have received this entire season. This is writing as an art form. Sure, all writing is art, but you read this, and you feel it, and you think “this is art”. This is somebody writing about a real life thing, putting all their emotion and pain into it, their fear, their vulnerability, their fight, and leaving it all on the page. Really, there is no higher form of writing than that for me, personally. This is an example of purposeful, poignant, meaningful writing; writing that the world needs, writing that is protest, and like I said at the beginning, writing that is powerful. Frankly, I couldn’t have enjoyed this more. It’s a shame you had to write this, but you should be incredibly proud of what you’ve created and done with such a horrible thing. This is the kind of writing that I live for. It will not be the first 10 that I have given out during this game, nor the first 10 that I have given you, but this is the 10 of all 10s. I will be remembering this song for quite some time. You’ve pushed the bar as high as it goes for me, and your talent as a writer is - once again - incredibly clear. Perfection. 

@TruGemini - Long Road

This was a really beautiful, moving song. I love that it was quite celebratory, yet also very sentimental; the emotion here was really perfectly done and balanced, never leaning too heavily to one side, keeping you right in the middle and having both effects on you. I felt empowered, yet I also felt nostalgic, and honestly I don’t think I’ve ever seen these two emotions paired together? Not that I can recall from the top of my head anyway, and I thought it was really, really well done. I’d go as far as to say this is my favourite song from you all season, and I’m really glad you submitted again this round! I hope this is reflected in your ranking because I think it would be very well deserved. Great job. 

@JoeAg - It’s Your Shade of Blue Now

As usual I think your writing is stunning, and I love how your songs are so naturally queer. I found this really vivid and alluring, yet also quite enigmatic and open to interpretation, speaking with what the blue is supposed to represent. Something about this made me want to step into whatever world these people were in; it was described so beautifully and reassuringly, and I got the same feeling while reading the song. My only criticism, really, would be that the song could have been longer; although I don’t know if that’s just me being over indulgent in wanting more. Overall I think this is another example of your skill as a writer, particularly with your lovely lyricism, however you definitely need to start working on your entries sooner in the week to avoid these last minute submissions! Your natural skill for writing helps you pull it off but I want to see you be able to put more time into something next round.

Edited by fountain
if you spot any typos, Hug hacked me

Part 2 with the remaining seven coming tomorrow, before results with yours truly which I will say are tentatively aimed for around 8pm eastern or so~!

Will post a confirmed time and countdown tomorrow. :bird: 

Oop, I still need to send off my scores. Lemme do that before I catch my flight. ✈️ 

18 minutes ago, Aurora said:

Oop, I still need to send off my scores. Lemme do that before I catch my flight. ✈️ 

Have a safe trip! :fan:

And done! I'll try and check on the thread if I get a spare moment tomorrow to see how we all went, but otherwise, see you next week. :alexz3:

4 minutes ago, fountain said:

Have a safe trip! :fan:

Thank you!

Also, as trends go, this was my most acclaimed round judging yet, so far being the only round this season to average a score of greater than 8. Oh my!

5 minutes ago, Aurora said:

Also, as trends go, this was my most acclaimed round judging yet, so far being the only round this season to average a score of greater than 8. Oh my!

Not an average over 8… I fear my Paula energy may have transferred over to you 

2 hours ago, Aurora said:

Oh slay we have flights on the same day? :gaycat4: Hope yours goes well

4 hours ago, Aurora said:

4 hours ago, fountain said:

Oop, I still need to send off my scores. Lemme do that before I catch my flight. ✈️ 

Mess, I don’t know why that posted twice, let me blame airport internet or something.

5 hours ago, fountain said:

Not an average over 8… I fear my Paula energy may have transferred over to you 

I only gave out one (1) score above a 9, so not quite Paula just yet. A modest Katheryn.

3 hours ago, Remmy said:

Oh slay we have flights on the same day? :gaycat4: Hope yours goes well

It absolutely did not, it was delayed three times and was very turbulent and took longer to land than expected, but your gurl survived. They tried to kill… your famous… your favourite *****.

38 minutes ago, Hug said:

Oop, I still need to send off my scores. Lemme do that before I catch my flight. ✈️ 

Not this becoming a meme… that’s on period ahh, period uhh!

5 hours ago, Aurora said:

It absolutely did not, it was delayed three times and was very turbulent and took longer to land than expected, but your gurl survived. They tried to kill… your famous… your favourite *****.

Not this... :mazen::mazen::mazen: Terrible

Hey everybody! Round 4 Spoken Word Challenge results will be taking place tonight at 8pm eastern time! That’s about 8 hours from this post. 

Here’s a countdown to when results will be starting so you can see when it’ll be in your own timezone:

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/weekend2?iso=20220918T20&p0=179&msg=Round+5+Results&font=cursive

Hope you can be here to see how your songs did!

:bird:

@hurricane326 @XO_Life @Allday @Julia Fox @Kylie Jenner @Hug @Better Mistakes @beatinglikeadrum @Remmy @Augmented @Legend E @Euterpe @TruGemini @JoeAg

Ps. For anybody still waiting for a review from me they’ll be up in the next few hours.

:heart:

17 hours ago, hurricane326 said:

I'm willing to bet my entry will be this season's most unique and by far the most disturbing yet through-provoking

in b4 your

13 minutes ago, Jackson said:

in b4 your

“I don’t remember ARTPOP” is me with Platinum Hit 10.5 :rip: was a weird time  and I ended up forgetting most of it whether consciously or not. That was a big personal driving force behind redebuting the concept through Golden Hit too, since I wanted the experience of getting to host it again while actually being fully present mentally. And it was definitely worth it! :fan:

8 minutes ago, fountain said:

“I don’t remember ARTPOP” is me with Platinum Hit 10.5 :rip: was a weird time  and I ended up forgetting most of it whether consciously or not. That was a big personal driving force behind redebuting the concept through Golden Hit too, since I wanted the experience of getting to host it again while actually being fully present mentally. And it was definitely worth it! :fan:

me with PH7 teas.. the way i found an old PH7 song this year that i have absolutely no recollection of writing. i'm still missing another one and i have no clue what it's even about. but it was also my worst performing season so maybe it's for the best :emofish: 

ok this is quite random but i had a random recollection of how PH used to work in the PH5 and prior days. iirc the winner of the season wasn't correlated to how songs were scored but was just voted on by the judges at the end of the tournament :rip: i could be remembering wrong though, feel free to correct me @Hug @Jack!

16 minutes ago, Jackson said:

ok this is quite random but i had a random recollection of how PH used to work in the PH5 and prior days. iirc the winner of the season wasn't correlated to how songs were scored but was just voted on by the judges at the end of the tournament :rip: i could be remembering wrong though, feel free to correct me @Hug @Jack!

If this is the season I'm thinking of, I think we were encouraged to rate based on overall performance of the game? ?

20 minutes ago, Hug said:

If this is the season I'm thinking of, I think we were encouraged to rate based on overall performance of the game? ?

I'm sure it was something like this, and now that I think about it, it's probably just as subjective as any other way to score considering judges can be biased towards a particular writing style. And the winner of that season is a literal English PhD, so hard to argue he wasn't qualified :skull: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.