Beyoncé removes Kelis sample from ENERGY

Lovett

I must be deaf because it sounds the same to me. I mean, it was my least played track anyway. It's really just a segueway for BMS.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stankonia

• Lovett

• BnPac

• Blue G

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/2/2022 at 2:06 PM, QueenBeyoncé said:

Another song she not getting coins from not so bossy :fan:

:lmao: I’m weak 

I think it’s as simple as her not wanting Pharrell and Chad to get another check, and Beyoncé was collateral damage. Not speaking on right or wrong, but I do think the vindictiveness is towards the men she signed a bad contract with when she was young. 

Beyoncé taking Pharrell and Chad off (and the honorary thank you to Kelis) harms the two producers more than Kelis, but the way she brought Beyoncé into it was rather tacky and could’ve been handled behind the scenes. If Beyoncé has her “number,” then maybe from one black woman to another, Kelis could’ve reached out to either Beyoncé or someone in her camp and said, “This is what happened to me and it would mean a lot if you could support the fact that I don’t want these guys taking more from me than they’ve already gotten, especially through you…” This is assuming she rewrote parts of the song after it was offered to Britney Spears and was duped out of publishing. That’s something only a demo can prove. 

Instead Kelis chose to “go viral” and now she looks like a villain in her own story. It’s the way you handle **** that counts. Private business matters shouldn’t be aired out on IG live. She stopped a bag for two of her biggest enemies, but also made herself look bad.

Lastly, Pharrell and Chad ain’t **** and will never be ****. I don’t support swindling of any kind, and back then it happened to so many black artists from other black business executives, who should’ve been protecting their own. 

Edited by JCsNumba1Fan

So the royalties go to Pharell, but out of respect Beyoncé gave Kelis credit, even though she didn’t own the masters or even participated in any of the single.. it really goes to show, if you can just “give” people credit just out of respect, then pekple can easily just buy their credits too. 

23 minutes ago, JCsNumba1Fan said:

I think it’s as simple as her not wanting Pharrell and Chad to get another check, and Beyoncé was collateral damage. Not speaking on right or wrong, but I do think the vindictiveness is towards the men she signed a bad contract with when she was young. 

Beyoncé taking Pharrell and Chad off (and the honorary thank you to Kelis) harms the two producers more than Kelis, but the way she brought Beyoncé into it was rather tacky and could’ve been handled behind the scenes. If Beyoncé has her “number,” then maybe from one black woman to another, Kelis could’ve reached out to either Beyoncé or someone in her camp and said, “This is what happened to me and it would mean a lot if you could support the fact that I don’t want these guys taking more from me than they’ve already gotten, especially through you…” This is assuming she rewrote parts of the song after it was offered to Britney Spears and was duped out of publishing. That’s something only a demo can prove. 

Instead Kelis chose to “go viral” and now she looks like a villain in her own story. It’s the way you handle **** that counts. Private business matters shouldn’t be aired out on IG live. She stopped a bag for two of her biggest enemies, but also made herself look bad.

Lastly, Pharrell and Chad ain’t **** and will never be ****. I don’t support swindling of any kind, and back then it happened to so many black artists from other black business executives, who should’ve been protecting their own. 

I think she removed the la la las but the drum sample is still there so the Neptunes still get their cheque. I think anyway, I was never that clear on what was sampled where.

10 hours ago, Jay07 said:

So instead of being graceful and thanking Beyonce for exposing her 20 year old song to a new generation,

16 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

I think anyway, I was never that clear on what was sampled where.

How is Beyoncé “exposing the song to a new generation” when you yourself can’t even tell where the song was sampled? :rip:

Damn I really read all these pages ?

So Kelis, isn’t wrong to want to speak with someone who is straight up sampling but interpolating a single word with similar cadence?( I guess, I honestly don’t notice it in the background) She has to know that’s not always gonna happen, especially when she has no ownership (not her fault, I get it), so legally in business, she gets skipped over, won’t be the first or last time it happens to her. Hope she can make peace with that or fight for her credit. 

She completely lost me when she went on attack mode. Her subsequent comments imply to me that she just don’t like Bey in the first place and for some strange reason is being waaay more hateful to her than the men who actually swindled her, over a courtesy call? 

Idk, after the fact I wouldn’t feel the need to call up a ***** who was bad mouthing me over social media. Bey was right in how she handled it. I know wouldnt fall to my knees for Kelis and her situation over some barely audible la la la la’s in an outro (that was probably just a cya credit anyway)

1 minute ago, Headlock said:

How is Beyoncé “exposing the song to a new generation” when you yourself can’t even tell where the song was sampled? :rip:

Logic isn’t that users strong suit lol. 

Cool 

now Kelis can go make her honey glazed hams in peace 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

poor kelis not getting her 10 dollars

More like Kelis stopped Pharrell from stealing 10 dollars.

LimpElderlyAfricangroundhornbill-size_re

28 minutes ago, Feather said:

So the royalties go to Pharell, but out of respect Beyoncé gave Kelis credit, even though she didn’t own the masters or even participated in any of the single.. it really goes to show, if you can just “give” people credit just out of respect, then pekple can easily just buy their credits too. 

If im reading the info in this thread right, she was credited as a performer, not producer or writer so there is no check she gets cut, it’s more of an acknowledgment. 

So, I doubt people are buying acknowledgments and not something more substantial. Not to say that it never happens tho. 

1 minute ago, Headlock said:

By crediting the song and performer in the liner notes? Don't you check out the samples from your favorite songs? 

Oh...

1 minute ago, Jay07 said:

By crediting the song and performer in the liner notes? Don't you check out the samples from your favorite songs? 

Oh...

People who follow music closely enough to read liner notes would already be familiar with Milkshake :rip:

2 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

Oh...

A lot of casual music listeners do not know when music is sampled. :rip:

Just now, Headlock said:

People who follow music closely enough to read liner notes would already be familiar with Milkshake :rip:

What does reading liner notes from a 2022 album have to do with knowing a 20 year old song?

6 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

What does reading liner notes from a 2022 album have to do with knowing a 20 year old song?

You think diehard Bey fans who read the liner notes don’t know the song Milkshake? 

13 minutes ago, Headlock said:

Is this true ?!?!?

1 minute ago, GraceRandolph said:

You think diehard Bey fans who read the liner notes don’t know the song Milkshake? 

You think people who check the credits on her website because they like the sound of a song and want to see who produced it and what samples they used are aware of the last 20 years of R&B history, especially for an artist who hasn't been relevant in more than a decade (no offense)?

Ok sure.

51 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

I think she removed the la la las but the drum sample is still there so the Neptunes still get their cheque. I think anyway, I was never that clear on what was sampled where.

I thought Pharrell and Chad were removed when the interpolation was removed? They might get an initial residual check, but no royalties from streaming/digital downloads/physical sales (when the album is re-issued without the interpolation) moving forward since their names are no longer attached to a song that is no longer being sampled. 

Edited by JCsNumba1Fan

11 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

You think people who check the credits on her website because they like the sound of a song and want to see who produced it and what samples they used are aware of the last 20 years of R&B history, especially for an artist who hasn't been relevant in more than a decade (no offense)?

Ok sure.

Milkshake is a pretty widely known song. And people listening to Beyoncé are not young teens generally.

27 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

15 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

Ok sure.

Why do you keep downplaying Milkshake, it was a huge hit song, it’s not some obscure indie album track :rip:

19 minutes ago, family.guy123 said:

Is this true ?!?!?

You don’t think a person reading the liner notes of a Beyoncé album would know Milkshake? :toofunny2:

Like, even random white girls know that song because of Mean Girls :rip: