• Blue G

Top Posters In This Topic

DUMMY.

She deserves trash.

xYdMfB3.gif

congrats on ruining an already terrible song :clap3:

we will be using the Kelis version! 

4 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

I guess Kelis returns to making no money from her song.

She wasn't making anyway, which is kind of her point...

Well I guess that’s one way to solve it… I hate that it’s acceptable for albums to just get Kanye’d now.

1 minute ago, Gui Blackout said:

She wasn't making anyway, which is kind of her point...

She was making money from the royalties from the sample. Which is why her behaviour was so ridiculous... Now she's back to making nothing.

Welp. I think Kelis was ridiculous to make such a big deal out of this if she didn’t hold the rights to it - you seek permission from those who hold the rights. It sucks that she and many artists don’t own their own music, but that’s not Bey’s fault.

Re: the song making no money, Milkshake probably makes more in residuals as a classic ‘00s hit than any album track from Renaissance will this year. And that’s not shade, that’s just the truth from someone who studies the industry. A classic hit with a classic line like “my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard” makes way more bank than album tracks. But if Kelis didn’t own the rights to it to begin with, she wouldn’t have made anything off of ENERGY. 

Just now, James_Dean said:

Should've just given credit where it's due :rip:

She did. The writers and producers were credited and despite not owning any of the song, Beyoncé also gave Kelis credit so she'd get royalties. :rip:

The song sounds the same still?

what do they mean when they say the sample was removed? Is it going to change how the song sounds?

2 minutes ago, James_Dean said:

She received credit, Kelis was just mad that Beyonce didn't personally call her up and give her a heads up or get her blessing

snicker-laughing.gif

OUT.

2 minutes ago, HeavyMetalAura said:

But if Kelis didn’t own the rights to it to begin with, she wouldn’t have made anything off of ENERGY.

Beyoncé had credited her on ENERGY, specifically so that she would receive royalties. Then she reacted as she did and now she's back to getting nothing again.

4 minutes ago, James_Dean said:

what? 

4 minutes ago, James_Dean said:

Something tells me you haven’t actually been paying attention to this story 

2 minutes ago, CrimsonX said:

The song sounds the same still?

what do they mean when they say the sample was removed? Is it going to change how the song sounds?

It was a minor drum beat that was sampled. This has now been removed from the version on all streaming services. The sample was so minor that it's not even noticeable, which is the biggest kii of this whole situation. :toofunny3:

1 minute ago, MrLovett said:

She was making money from the royalties from the sample. Which is why her behaviour was so ridiculous... Now she's back to making nothing.

No the money is going to Pharrell and Chad because she's not credited in the songwriting (again, her point). It's the same case as Robin S

It was a minor drum beat that was sampled. This has now been removed from the version on all streaming services. The sample was so minor that it's not even noticeable, which is the biggest kii of this whole situation. :toofunny3:

Thank you!!

1 minute ago, Shelter said:

Does it sound any different

Not to me. I don’t hear any difference. :michael:

Just now, Gui Blackout said:

No the money is going to Pharrell and Chad because she's not credited in the songwriting (again, her point). It's the same case as Robin S

No, Beyoncé had given Kelis an additional credit on ENERGY (despite Kelis not owning any of "Milkshake") specifically so that she would make royalties. Robin S. wasn't given a credit on BMS. It's not the same.

Imagine making such a drama for basically something so small and not even noticeable :deadbanana4: A clown!!

8 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

She wasn't :deadbanana4: it's all going to Pharrell 

44 minutes ago, James_Dean said:

But she gave the writers credit and since Kelis has no writing and publishing credits, she made sure her name will appear as we saw on the Amazon Italia version so she could at least get that respect . Kelis was mad because she didn't get a call from Bey and thought it was stealing, lack of soul and passive-aggressive to sample her song so now the issue is resolved. We can all move on. 

Edited by BnPac