Diane Warren: How can there be 24 writers on a song?

mariahcarey

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• *-ChriZ-*

• Lovett

• Dreajae

• tshwark

the fact that people still don't understand sampling or having multiple producers or piecing multiple songs together bfksjfddks

its not as if this is some mind-blowing concept.

its much safer to credit someone for being like "lets add this drum fill here etc" as opposed to risking legal action and the iike.

I LOVE her because the writing credits of a certain song that she wrote for a certain album single-handedly opened my eyes about a certain FRAUD I used to stan hard. 

2 hours ago, Patient Zero said:

She's a songwiter, while others are superstars

lZlumxY.png

True and she has the right to say it

Diane Warren became a songwriter in the 80s thus it is hard for her to understand how pop songs are constructed in today's industry because it is an entirely different method from back in her day as camps didn't exist. The hit songwriters now are moreso topliners that may or may not work in groups and they write to tracks where the music is already constructed, multiple producers work on the song, labels buy and trade songs now instead of just hiring a duo or trio to write for or write with the artist plus, we are in a time where sampling has seeped into almost anything that will be played on popular radio or heavily streamed due to the massive influence of Hip-Hop and Electronic music so the credits can stack up quite quickly. I'm not saying one method or era is wholly better than the other. It's just different because what's popular has changed and the music education that used to be taught in schools is no longer so you're not gonna get an all in one writer/producer or a duo that is gonna know how construct every part of a song from the ground up.

One thing I will say that the old method did better was melodies and hooks were crafted down to the bone and the bridge was still a consistent thing. One thing I will say that I like about the new method is that more writers can get paid, build community more quickly and learn from each other.

1 hour ago, The Next Day said:

There are always two things getting mixed up in this discussion:

a) Sampling is an established method in music. It's an artform that is not "cheaper" or "easier" then writing a song from scratch (just watch videos on it if you think it's easy to sample, e.g. Mark Ronson's Ted talk on sampling is good).

b) There is a huge problem in the industry where writers have to fight for their credit. There are no clear regulations on how songwriting credits are given, so what it comes down to is writers having to sort it out by themselves. Successful artists (or mostly their labels or other famous writers) can easily pressure especially unknown writers into giving them credit under those circumstances. This is a real problem that is a threat to young writers who can't make a living because of manipulation.

There's also the issue lately of labels pushing to use old hits as samples to profit off nostalgia. That's of course also bad for songwriters' credits and creativity being cut.

BUT other then that you have to keep those two things separate, since only B is an actual issue. I'm really concerned an iconic songwriter like her apparently doesn't know the difference.

You definitely hit the nail on the head with B! I remember on one of Beyoncé’s albums Diane was the only songwriter who didn’t get Beyoncé’s name added to the credits of the song she wrote, presumably because she was established in the industry and didn’t need to take a smaller cut to appease a big star’s ego.

Yes, Diane.

It’s called being a fraud. Smoke and mirrors. 

Answered for Diane - a real songwriter.

Everyone knows Beyoncé can't write to save her life. Hence why she uses songwriting camps for her albums.

She and others have been exposed for forcing their names in the songwriting/producing credits of songs they didn't write/produce and I love that a songwriting legend like Diane is not having it and never lets pop stars who lack artistic integrity sneak their names in the credits if they weren't co-writers.

2 hours ago, Blue Monday said:

Ghislaine Maxwell getting brave. 

I don't know who Dieanne Warren is, but I spent a good minute thinking she was an undercover Ghislaine Maxwell :ahh:

Edit: 

not google images already being into this :ahh:

diane-warren-reacts-to-be-compared-to-gh 

Edited by Gorgeous

14 minutes ago, Stankonia said:

Everyone knows Beyoncé can't write to save her life. Hence why she uses songwriting camps for her albums.

She and others have been exposed for forcing their names in the songwriting/producing credits of songs they didn't write/produce and I love that a songwriting legend like Diane is not having it and never lets pop stars who lack artistic integrity sneak their names in the credits if they weren't co-writers.

So she got a songwriting award for faking it? :deadbanana: And you are just going to bypass the songs she wrote for DC?

No one has said she forced credit for something she didn’t do. On halo, she wrote the whole bridge to the song, hence credit. 

Also when Beyoncé is searching for inspiration and finds a video on YouTube of someone saying something as simple as “miss honay” and incorporate it into a song and gives that person writing credits. It’s not a hard concept to understand why so many “writers” are on a track. It’s a lot more logistics that goes into making things come together. 

This lady and her generic MOR ballads needs to have SEVERAL seats. There's a reason she'll remain Oscarless despite doing movie soundtrack songs for a living

Edited by ATWK

7 minutes ago, Gorgeous said:

I don't know who Dieanne Warren is, but I spent a good minute thinking she was an undercover Ghislaine Maxwell :ahh:

Edit: 

not google images already being into this :ahh:

diane-warren-reacts-to-be-compared-to-gh 

:rip:

Easily, dummy. Stop acting obtuse for clicks and views. 

Yeah, this Bey's shade :rip: 

Why is she so bitter? :rip:

She's a professional songwriter, so she should know how samples work. 

8 minutes ago, sillycilla said:

So she got a songwriting award for faking it? :deadbanana: And you are just going to bypass the songs she wrote for DC?

No one has said she forced credit for something she didn’t do. On halo, she wrote the whole bridge to the song, hence credit. 

She has Mathew Knowles to thank for those DC credits. :bird:

"No one has said she forced credit for something she didn’t do." The lies. :rip:

"Back in 2008, Beyoncé came under fire when she told an audience at a concert that she wrote "Irreplaceable" for fellow women — except she didn't write it, Ne-Yo did. "I honestly wrote that song for myself," he said in 2011.

in an interview with Marie Claire UK, Beyoncé suggested that she wrote the lyrics to the song, saying: “I’m sure people think I wrote it about [Jay Z] or something, but… the obvious person is not the person at all.”

"Famous songwriter Linda Perry, who is responsible for writing Christina Aguilera‘s “Beautiful” and Alicia Keys‘ “Superwoman,” addressed Beyonce’s songwriting abilities during her Reddit Ask Me anything. A fan sent in  a question asking g Perry whether it bothered her when artists muscled in on songwriting credits after only making minor changes to a song. Linda Perry is one to always shoot straight from the hip, said, “Well um that’s not songwriting but some of these artists believe if it wasnt for them your song would never get out there so they take a cut just because they are who they are. but everyone knows the real truth even Beyoncé. She is talented but in a completely different way.”

Her off all people should know that songwriters should be credited for their work instead of superstars pretending they did it all by themselves. 

26 minutes ago, Stankonia said:

She has Mathew Knowles to thank for those DC credits. :bird:

"No one has said she forced credit for something she didn’t do." The lies. :rip:

"Back in 2008, Beyoncé came under fire when she told an audience at a concert that she wrote "Irreplaceable" for fellow women — except she didn't write it, Ne-Yo did. "I honestly wrote that song for myself," he said in 2011.

in an interview with Marie Claire UK, Beyoncé suggested that she wrote the lyrics to the song, saying: “I’m sure people think I wrote it about [Jay Z] or something, but… the obvious person is not the person at all.”

"Famous songwriter Linda Perry, who is responsible for writing Christina Aguilera‘s “Beautiful” and Alicia Keys‘ “Superwoman,” addressed Beyonce’s songwriting abilities during her Reddit Ask Me anything. A fan sent in  a question asking g Perry whether it bothered her when artists muscled in on songwriting credits after only making minor changes to a song. Linda Perry is one to always shoot straight from the hip, said, “Well um that’s not songwriting but some of these artists believe if it wasnt for them your song would never get out there so they take a cut just because they are who they are. but everyone knows the real truth even Beyoncé. She is talented but in a completely different way.”

So apparently Matthew Knowles has all the power in the world to force fake credits and songwriting awards!!! Maybe Beyoncé really is queen of the Illuminati lmao ? y’all don’t understand the lawsuits that will ensue or it biting you in the ass later. Which it never has.

Also Linda Perry didn’t say anything but make an assumption. 

And Beyoncé clearly misspoke with the whole Neo situation while in concert. She’s made sure ever since to cross her T’s and for her eyes. And it’s also been made abundantly clear songwriting credits are more than just lyrics.

Edited by sillycilla

I don't see a lie :michael:

And some artists have multiple writers in a song even without the sampling credits

The fact that she's worked with Beyonce in the past is what's sending me :deadbanana4:

13 minutes ago, sillycilla said:

So apparently Matthew Knowles has all the power in the world to force fake credits and songwriting awards!!! Maybe Beyoncé really is queen of the Illuminati lmao ? y’all don’t understand the lawsuits that will ensue or it biting you in the ass later. Which it never has.

Also Linda Perry didn’t say anything but make an assumption. 

And Beyoncé clearly misspoke with the whole Neo situation while in concert. She’s made sure ever since to cross her T’s and for her eyes. And it’s also been made abundantly clear songwriting credits are more than just lyrics.

You really didn't need to quote me with that weak ass rebuttal. :rip:

6 minutes ago, Stankonia said:

You really didn't need to quote me with that weak ass rebuttal. :rip:

Girl, not my problem you didn’t provide anything new :dead: 

Besides lame early 2000  hater arguments that Matthew Knowles forced her credits, irreplaceable and Linda who never worked with her. Yet conveniently ignore all the other artists/writers who actually worked with Beyoncé. 

Edited by sillycilla

4 hours ago, Patient Zero said:

She's a songwiter, while others are superstars

lZlumxY.png

Those superstars combined don`t have as many hits than her, and she is a songwriter superstar.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.