• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• glamrock<3

• Blue Rose

• abeille

• Diego_Costa

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, EdgeofTeeth said:

I mean, Pitchfork notoriously fixates on certain artists and will praise literally everything they do the same way they'll do the same to trash other artists for no reason. But this album is actually deserving of the praise.

This is just an excuse stans have made up. Some acts are just talented and consistent. Pitchfork did not hesitate to drag Kanye and give him a 4 when he started releasing trash. They gave Bey a 7.3 for The Gift

1 hour ago, Rotunda said:

When universities use pop girls for class titles it’s really just a way to entice interest in a class that will cover a lot of topics but be somewhat filtered through pop culture. 

Lemonade/ST were used to teach about Black feminism/female sexuality. Renaissance can be used for Black Queer expression, subcultures, sexuality, etc.

The classes themselves aren’t really fully devoted to one text, they’re just used as a springboard.

Thats a good point, but I guess the themes of Lemonade were just a lot more interesting to me. Freedom alone has so much more to say, and there's nothing on Renaissance that gets to that level, BUT in Renaissance's defense, I think Bey and her team did a great job anyway. 

Like I love how she used lyrics to describe a rainbow/ pride flag without being so literal- 

Black like love too deep
Dance to the soles of my feet
Green eyes envy me
Paint the world ***** pink
Blue like the soul I crowned
Purple drank and couture gowns
Gold fangs a shade God made
Blue, black, white, and brown
Paint the town red like cinnamon
Yellow diamonds, limoncello glisterin'
Rainbow gelato in the streets
Renaissance, yachtin' in Capri

REALLY great use of lyrics to describe colors.

And there IS some political stuff thrown in thats subtle-

Just vibe
Votin' out 45, don't get outta line, yeah
Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, pick a side
Only double lines we cross is dollar signs

The more I explore the album the more it resonates with me, its definitely a grower.

4 hours ago, superben said:

It's Pitchfork. They would rate every random release by Beyonce as Best New Music :rip: 

Clearly not just Pitchfork seeing as the album is already at 93 on Metacritic

ezgif-1-3bc187bad9.gif

15 hours ago, Mrguilbeaux said:

But Its true none of us exist without the references that raised us. Or our parents even. Pitchforks saying The samples in the album are a strength and not a weakness. Not “she couldnt do it on her own” but “none of us exist without who came before us and on this album she pays homage to those artists”

17 hours ago, Badgalbriel said:

Without past legends there would be no Beyoncé. Did you even listen to the album? It's a collection of samples of older songs girl. Beyoncé is clearly celebrating the history of black music

18 hours ago, glamrock&lt;3 said:

Pretty much. Every artist, even great and influential artists such as Beyoncé are influenced by other artists that came before them. Yes, she has own musical identity but she has been influenced by those before her. Luckily, she even admits it.

18 hours ago, ChapelHooker said:

That’s not how that works but okay. Literally every artist ever is an accumulation of influences. 

18 hours ago, Cain said:

No artist would exist without their predecessors? :skull: And thinking someone would is highly delusional
Beyoncé is honoring the black community, black queers, black music and all the black female artists that came before her and has done so her ENTIRE career, THAT's what they're saying, it's praise

18 hours ago, Jay07 said:

? Who would exist without those that came before? Beyonce is the first one that will admit she's standing on the shoulders of giants. This entire album is a love letter to music genres and musicians that came before her. I don't understand your point. Of course music doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Inadvertently, all of you are tangentially straw manning and digressing from the overall point I was attempting to make. You guys are misunderstanding my question and transforming my interpretation into something that it's NOT lol.

1. I asked a question about the meaning of a line. All I needed was a yes or no response lol. 

2. As for the past influence argument, the reason why I claimed the line was potentially shady was by virtue of the fact that there are more tactful manners in going about in saying Beyoncé has been molded into who she is today because of legends before her. The line itself virtually sounded as if Beyoncé is NOT competent enough to be inventive and that they're alluding to the notion that she is using "samples" and other artists as crutches, which almost seems as if she is stealing but not stealing in the same breath. It's giving Azealia Banks vibes. Beyoncé has said she is influenced by Adele, so is Adele melancholic delivery vital in Bey's musical approach? How about success?

3. Furthermore, arguing that Beyoncé needs legendary predecessors is like telling someone it's impossible to be homeless, start from scratch and work your way up to constructing yourself to be a self-made multi-millionaire. A closer analogy would be synonymous to stating if someone coined words and you happen to utilize such terms in literature that that would certainly mean you are DEPENDENTLY influenced by the progenitors, when that's clearly not what's taking place. If that's the case, then we'd have to keep playing the etymological tracing back game to who contrived such and such word/style, which is ridiculously petty. Nobody's writing on this forum is influenced by Old/Middle English. Based on what can't Beyoncé stand on her own and be an INNOVATOR? Ella did NOT invent sound/words, but she did introduce and promulgate SCATTING, but we don't apply the time machine shenanigans to see who has contributed to every facet of her scatting delivery. My point is that Beyoncé CAN exist in a vacuum. We hear it in her compositions. 

13 hours ago, Green said:

BEYONCE lost against a white man that sold less than Gold though  :celestial5:

I still can't believe that actually happened.. with Prince presenting the award :dancehall3: it would've been iconic to see Prince hand Beyoncé the award!

1 minute ago, glamrock&lt;3 said:

I still can't believe that actually happened.. with Prince presenting the award :dancehall3: it would've been iconic to see Prince hand Beyoncé the award!

Speaking of that, I hope when she gets AOTY with Ren, some legendary artist will present her that award. B really loves MJ, Prince and Donnar Summer but unfortunately they had passed away so I hope Barbra, Diana or Tina will present her that. 

2 minutes ago, PrudenceHCharmed said:

Speaking of that, I hope when she gets AOTY with Ren, some legendary artist will present her that award. B really loves MJ, Prince and Donnar Summer but unfortunately they had passed away so I hope Barbra, Diana or Tina will present her that. 

Agh, that would be amazing for Tina to come back to the states to present her AOTY :chick3: I do think a legendary artist that inspired her would be the icing on top!

18 minutes ago, glamrock&lt;3 said:

Agh, that would be amazing for Tina to come back to the states to present her AOTY :chick3: I do think a legendary artist that inspired her would be the icing on top!

I didn't know Tina wasn't in the US. The thing about B is she really loves MJ/Prince/Donna. It's a genuine love you can tell. She also had long list of artist she really loves like Stevie, Anita Baker, Sade, Lauryn Hill and so many more including the younger artist like Adele. She's not afraid to show love to these artist and she always talk about them. 

38 minutes ago, PrudenceHCharmed said:

I didn't know Tina wasn't in the US. The thing about B is she really loves MJ/Prince/Donna. It's a genuine love you can tell. She also had long list of artist she really loves like Stevie, Anita Baker, Sade, Lauryn Hill and so many more including the younger artist like Adele. She's not afraid to show love to these artist and she always talk about them. 

Oh yes, Ms. Tina resides in Switzerland with her husband. But, I do love how Beyoncé honors the artists she's been inspired by, it's truly inspiring!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.