• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Safe&Sound

• Blackout2006

• 4Real

• Jooj

Then give Lana one scammy award and stop using her! 

Yeah, Taylor doesn't belong on that list lol. Her image and aesthetics were never really the 'sad girl' type.

wouldn't adele also be "sad girl pop music"? but is that even a thing, the article reads like nothingburger

11 minutes ago, ArmyBlink said:

wouldn't adele also be "sad girl pop music"? but is that even a thing, the article reads like nothingburger

Lol exactly. According to their logic, anyone who releases pop ballad would be "sad girl music"

Though Rodrigo is one of the stars at the center of "sad girl" pop, it had been percolating long before the explosion of "drivers license." After all, artists like Fiona Apple and Alanis Morrisette were the poster girls for it in the mid-to-late '90s. But one could argue that this iteration of "sad girl" pop found its roots in the 2010s, thanks to artists like Lana Del Rey, whose palpable aching and loneliness became inescapable anthems like "Video Games" and "Summertime Sadness"; Taylor Swift, whose first crossover successRed spawned the still-heart-wrenching fan favorite  "All Too Well"; Robyn, who created the ultimate crying-at-the-club banger "Dancing on My Own"; and MARINA, care of the depressed-Barbie era of her albumElectra Heart. 

From the article 

the Marina sneak

bibliahh-atrl.gif

she just can't quit being Lana's plus onebibliahh-atrl.gif

Not marina weaseling her way onto this. 

22 minutes ago, Sept said:

Lol exactly. According to their logic, anyone who releases pop ballad would be "sad girl music"

they could go all the way back to joni mitchell but they didn't even mention her :rip:

the usuals running here mainly to discredit Taylor...

I don't even need to read to get the point... the majority of the new crop of "sad girl pop" girls were born and raised by Tay and many of them idolize her and have mentioned her as a constant inspiration and the reason they pursued music/songwriting... is it that hard to understand?

Edited by Michael196

56 minutes ago, ArmyBlink said:

You could argue 21/SLY started the trend more than anything else. But even then, sad songs have been around forever. :rip:

Edited by Mike91

I don’t think Taylor created but she was a important to this trend in the 2020s with Folklore, Evermore and All Too Well.

3 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Just because Taylor had ballads in her career like any artist has, it doesn't make her a root artist of Sad Girl Pop :bibliahh: Lana is the CLEAR influence for the genre

Then you know Olivia is mainly influenced by Taylor, not Lana

Also Gracie Abrams, Maisie Peters, Nina Nesbitt also said Taylor is their influence

The sad girl sound doesnt only revolve in one artist :skull:

Like how Lady Gaga, David Guetta, and Black Eyed Peas shaped late 00s Dance Pop sound

1 minute ago, Safe&Sound said:

You know Taylor was influenced by Lana, right?

1 minute ago, Safe&Sound said:

Gracie Abrams, Maisie Peters, Nina Nesbitt also said Taylor is their influence

Who?? :deadbanana4:

Taylor and Robyn, not really. It was Lana, Marina and Lorde. No questions asked.

13 minutes ago, Weld_E said:

You know Taylor was influenced by Lana, right?

Who?? :deadbanana4:

With evermore, but she has her own sound previously

And mess you were in this thread probably thinking sad girl world is Lana, Melanie Martinez, and Marina only :toofunny2:

They credit Fiona Apple and Alanis Morrisette first

Um

Lana for sure

but the others?
Taylor and Marina in their...late careers, which just cancels "inventing" :toofunny3:

dont think Robyn was Ever seen as sad girl lol

Lorde, Florence, and Sia didn’t slay for this.

the morrissey erasure :biblio:

but nah this is wrong. lana, marina, and later lorde popularized it, the rest followed. i love robyn but i'm not sure how one or two tracks in her discography merits her inclusion.

1 hour ago, Safe&Sound said:

Also Gracie Abrams, Maisie Peters, Nina Nesbitt also said Taylor is their influence

When I think of SGP girls, I definitely do not think of these artists. Plus, I have never heard of them with the exception of Olivia :rip:

1 hour ago, Daddy said:

Robyn and Lana, yes.

Where the hell is Lykke?

THIS! the OG indie sad girl from late 2000s/early 2010s, she deserved respect!!

Even when Lana was unknown her ex told her she reminded him of her, there's a facebook post of Lana where she said it and linked Little Bit

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.