• Butterfly - Mariah
    • The Velvet Rope - Janet
  2. 2. Which one is more iconic?

• Butterfly - Mariah
    • The Velvet Rope - Janet

Iconic albums of 1997.

But which one do you prefer?

Which one is more iconic?

The Velvet Rope (Janet) or Butterfly (Mariah)

Is this a joke :bibliahh:

Mariah hasn’t released anything as good as VR

Edited by Power love

the velvet rope is one of the greatest albums ever

i dont really like butterfly that much 

6 minutes ago, Power love said:

Is this a joke :bibliahh: [2]

Ray of Light>

But seriously, both albums are good. I prefer Honey>TVR, but as an album TVR wins over Butterfly.

9 minutes ago, Power love said:

this is actually true but Butterfly is her closest effort

The Velvet Rope is much much better. The only Mariah album that comes remotely close is Daydream (and maybe Caution if it wasn't so short).

love both but My All alone ends TVR i'm sorry Janet but that's the fact

TVR is sort of bloated, some of the songs drag a BIT too long. Examples would be Every Time and Anything. It’s undeniably one of the greatest that year and of all time of course. But Butterfly is just more consistent. You could argue moments like The Beautiful Ones (which I love and don’t get the hate for) and Whenever You Call are equally as bad but because TVR is over an hour it kind of doesn’t hold up as an argument. Like if TVR was 15 mins shorter I don’t think I’d be able to say that Butterfly is better but…it’s not, so Butterfly wins. Mariah queen!

I personally prefer Butterfly, TVR is amazing though.

I can’t speak to iconicness though, I was only a few months old in 1997. My All and Honey seem to be just a little bit more referenced than TVR’s singles though, I feel. So maybe Butterfly. 

This is such a hard choice but I feel like I listen to Butterfly more than TVR. 

• ATRL Moderator

Obviously TVR for both.  Part of this is because Mariah’s 90s run isn’t exactly known for one album, more a string of quality albums and classic songs (sans most of Music Box).  

This is actually difficult but TVR :jonnycat:

Butterfly is a great album too.

The Velvet Rope, easily. The Velvet Rope's subject matter and album concept is more provocative, revolutionary, and the production is just more diversified and cool than Butterfly.

Butterfly is far from being a bad album. Honey is fun and breezy (and those vocals nearing the end of the song- wow!), and Butterfly (the title track) has some really beautiful lyrics. I would say Butterfly only bests The Velvet Rope vocally, but it's late 90s Mariah. Of course Mariah is gonna win in the vocals' department.

The Velvet Rope- 1

Honey- 0

Edited by zasderfght

mariah simply doest have it inside of her to make a revolutionary and QUALITY body of work like velvet rope :gaynetcat2: this shouldnt even be a debate. the velvet rope is one of the best albums of all time and is easily the best produced female album of the 90s. its the reason why alternative r&b is what it is today. so many bootleg attempts of this album have followed since its release by other artists and none of succeeded

Edited by KatyPrismSpirit

Surprised to see that atrl has so many Janet fans suddenly. I've tried to get into TVR but just can't get into it sans a few songs. 

The Roof, Breakdown and My All are all career highlights for Mariah. None of the songs on the Janet album even come close to those alone. 

Edited by Homebrand

I like both, but if I had to choose I would go with TVR. Yes, it's bloated and has some filler, but thematically and musically it's more diverse.

I like TVR but it's nowhere near close to Butterfly for me. It's more daring thematically and in concept, but the actual music and delivery is not as good.

I don't know why iconicness is up for debate because the controversy around Mariah breaching out of the PG friendly image and the Honey video are more memorable than anything about TVR. 

It depend on my moods sis but the vr interludes is a mess so I vote Mariah 

I like both but:

TVR is objectively bloated and less consistent. The production at times is...a choice.

Both albums touch different genres but 'Butterfly' is better at keeping it cohesive. For instance, 'Fly Away' and 'Together again' are respectively Full House and Pop/House  tracks but the latter feels like it belongs to a completely different album.

TVR is thematically broader but that doesn't necessarily makes it a better body of work.

'Butterfly' doesn't get enough credit for how experimental it was, both musically and vocally. 'Honey' alone>>>

I genuinely don't know/care which one is more "iconic". I guess I'll vote for Janet due to TA becoming her biggest hit ever. 

Edited by Oceania

LOVE both albums but TVR was a gamechanger and truly iconic. I voted for TVR but Buttterfly was/is exceptional as well. Masterpieces.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.