Bette Midler turns into Jk Rowling, post transphobic tweet

DONTYELLATME

6 minutes ago, Death On Two Legs said:

There is absolutely no transphobia in her tweet. We, as women, are being erased, and our rights are being stripped away from us. We are truly living in the twilight zone. This is absolute horror.

:clap3::clap3: once again, a bunch of ATRL gays want to become the center of attention to issues that don’t involve them at all. 

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headlock

• Communion

• Brando

• Bey Admired

I understand why the terminology is used, but I can’t help but feel like these terms DO erase women when trans men physically look like and live their lives as men, and (at least appearance wise, in passing) don’t have the same societal expectations that women have. That being said, all people should have access to abortion and birth control. 

2 minutes ago, kyliefever2002 said:

how is fighting for abortion rights using inclusive language would make trans men a centre point in the fight? literally what you are saying does not make sense :skull: 

1 minute ago, kyliefever2002 said:

once again, i never stated birthing person should be the go to term, ever :skull: thats is not the only inclusive language there is :) 

I'm sorry but you just don't get it. there's no room for inclusive language on the issue so grave for millions of women. using any term other than women in this fight is simply counterproductive. i'm sure any sane trans men understands that there's no need to mention every single person this issue applies to. 

Let's be completely honest here, most trans people don't have their heart invested in this topic. It's a rightwing circlejerk concoction intended to stir the pot and make us all look bad. Sadly, certain performative wokes on Twitter have fallen for the bait and it's sad. 

26 minutes ago, Puttanesca said:

Obviously this isn't JK Rowling level ignorance, but I have yet to hear a good argument as to why we shouldn't use more inclusive language when referring to pregnancy. 

I'm not against it, but I find it bizarre that there are some people out there who want to replace the word "women" with "birthing people" or any other trendy made-up term just because 0.0001% of the population happen to be non-binary or trans men who want to give birth. Don't fix what isn't broken. 

1 minute ago, Brando said:

I'm sorry but you just don't get it. there's no room for inclusive language on the issue so grave for millions of women. using any term other than women in this fight is simply counterproductive. i'm sure any sane trans men understands that there's no need to mention every single person this issue applies to. 

"every single person" the only groups being affected are women and trans folks and only of of them is being excluded :skull:

all the issues that trans people are affected they are never included in and all the issues trans people are the main affected nobody ever wants to fight for it

so its a little bit deeper than that too, but yeah i can see why you dont get it, youre not the one being hurt by it 

31 minutes ago, Brando said:

there's no need to erase a term for 99.999% of the population just to sound "inclusive" for some singular cases. 

Right. Pretty sure a lot more women would be offended by a dehumanizing term like “people with vaginas” :deadbanana2: replacing women than those currently offended by women.

She said nothing transphobic tho, if people want to take it the wrong way that's on them. :rip:

14 minutes ago, kyliefever2002 said:

when did i ever say abortion rights is not womens right issues? please point me towards it

also i am not saying this is a TRANS MENS issues exclusively 

like neither of those affirmations came for me or from anyone with any right sense

of course the number of women is larger than trans men i also never denied that but i am just saying non inclusive language is obviously not including a lot of people and yes many people do feel left out and looked over, if you care enough to live with trans people outside of internet you will see it for yourself :) 

you seem to not understand that by insisting cis women identify as terms such as "birthing people" or "menstruators", or as you put it, "inclusive language", then you are inherently saying that this isn't a women's rights issue. instead it's a birthing people's rights issue. no. it's not, it's a woman's rights issue and to try and erase that is deeply misogynistic and dangerous.

and please don't assume about how much "I care about trans people outside of the internet", because you have no idea of how I identify nor the people I care about. And I will repeat, asking for women to be referred to as women and not "birthing people" is not trans-exclusionary. Trans women are women. Trans men are men. But that doesn't mean that we suddenly pretend that abortion rights isn't a women's rights issue because not all women can give birth.

Edited by Miichael

Just now, kyliefever2002 said:

"every single person" the only groups being affected are women and trans folks and only of of them is being excluded :skull:

all the issues that trans people are affected they are never included in and all the issues trans people are the main affected nobody ever wants to fight for it

so its a little bit deeper than that too, but yeah i can see why you dont get it, youre not the one being hurt by it 

how are trans men being excluded in the fight for abortion. it's not like the fight is over abortion for cisgender women only. your logic is completely broken and comes off performative. let me leave this argument by reminding you that you thought there were over a million trans men in the United States. you simply have no clue on any of the issues you are fighting over and need to sit this one out. sorry

2 minutes ago, brainmaniac said:

Right. Pretty sure a lot more women would be offended by a dehumanizing term like “people with vaginas” :deadbanana2: replacing women than those currently offended by women.

I genuinely thought i was exaggerating with that "99.999%" number, but then I looked it up and it's actually 99.9992% :toofunny2:

So trans women are women, but cis women are birthers or menstruators? They need to be labeled as such? lol gtfo

2 minutes ago, Brando said:

how are trans men being excluded in the fight for abortion. it's not like the fight is over abortion for cisgender women only. your logic is completely broken and comes off performative. let me leave this argument by reminding you that you thought there were over a million trans men in the United States. you simply have no clue on any of the issues you are fighting over and need to sit this one out. sorry

i didnt mean that there were 1 million trans men in the us i just meant that in a large group of people such as a population a number like 1% would be a million people

but even if there were hundreds of people affected by this i would think thats too much, also you assuming this is some type of performance once again just shows me how little you understand about the issue thinking its something so simple 

Yawn. I'm tired of the 2020s generation. Some of y'all get SO sensitive and defensive over the smallest ****, this is why the "wrong people" are currently ruling the world/winning. Bette Midler is NOT the person to get aggressive at, this is in reference to Roe v Wade and you know it. It's not supposed to exclude.

Also please, don't compare her to that ACTUAL trash that is JKR.

It’s a bit of a double-edged sword, because abortion rights is very much a women’s rights issue, even if pregnancy isn’t limited to women. I don’t think there’s anything wrong, per se, with saying “birthing people” or “people with uteruses” (wordiness aside) but I mean this is an issue that primarily affects women.

A bunch of cis gays saying “there’s nothing wrong with this tweet” looool

4 minutes ago, Miichael said:

you seem to not understand that by insisting cis women identify as terms such as "birthing people" or "menstruators", or as you put it, "inclusive language", then you are inherently saying that this isn't a women's rights issue. instead it's a birthing people's rights issue. no. it's not, it's a woman's rights issue and to try and erase that is deeply misogynistic and dangerous.

and please don't assume about how much "I care about trans people outside of the internet", because you have no idea of how I identify nor the people I care about. And I will repeat, asking for women to be referred to as women and not "birthing people" is not trans-exclusionary. Trans women are women. Trans men are men. But that doesn't mean that we suddenly pretend that abortion rights isn't a women's rights issue because not all women can give birth.

once again i never said any of those terms is the perfect one to use but you saying that by using those terms i am saying that this isnt a womens issues is just wrong since women that are affected by this are included in all of those terms and they are the bigger demographic in those terms but it doesnt apply to just them :skull: 

i never tried to erase that this is a womens issue and i never said otherwise, i just said that this is t just a womens issue. i also never said women arent the larger number affected by this issue and i also never said that this isnt an issue and it shouldnt be fought. youre using arguments to stuff i never even said 

1 minute ago, Sazare said:

It’s a bit of a double-edged sword, because abortion rights is very much a women’s rights issue, even if pregnancy isn’t limited to women. I don’t think there’s anything wrong, per se, with saying “birthing people” or “people with uteruses” (wordiness aside) but I mean this is an issue that primarily affects women.

This being said, the language in Bette’s tweet is the exact same concern trolling rhetoric JK Rowling uses so it’s not hard to see why it would scan as transphobic

Edited by Sazare

49 minutes ago, Puttanesca said:

Obviously this isn't JK Rowling level ignorance, but I have yet to hear a good argument as to why we shouldn't use more inclusive language when referring to pregnancy. 

Trans men transition because they want to be perceived as men, which they are. Changing the terms to birthing people and menstruators for the sake of doing them a favor is not the courtesy most think it is given that menstruation is one of the top elicitors of dysphoria in many if not most cases. 

And it shouldn't be confusing as to why women might be offended by being referred to as menstrautors or people with vaginas.

Regardless, this is not even a real debate. It's chaos sewed together by the right.

3 minutes ago, DONTYELLATME said:

@Communionthotughts?

This is all just right-wing propaganda. No one is erasing the term "women" and she, like any other poorly illiterate boomer, is buying into elite media anti-trans narratives like the op-ed recently published in the NYT. 

Just now, Communion said:

This is all just right-wing propaganda. No one is erasing the term "women" and she, like any other poorly illiterate boomer, is buying into elite media anti-trans narratives like the op-ed recently published in the NYT. 

Honestly this though :deadbanana:

7 minutes ago, Artistofthedecade said:

Estimate of U.S. Transgender Population Doubles to 1.4 Million Adults

OT : I don't see anything problematic in the Tweet 

this is an all inclusive estimate. we were talking about transmen specifically. the number for which is significantly lower than transwomen (the same way there are waaaay more gay men than there are lesbians) 

She is right, so is jk rowling. People stay doing the most trying to deny basic science. There are 2 sexes, male and female. It is in your dna, you can't switch from one to the other. The way society treats trans people is disgusting but that doesn't mean we ignore reality and science. The world would be a much better place if we stopped playing into gender roles that society creates. If someone born male says he has always felt female, what does that even mean? What does it mean to "feel female"? They base it on what society tells us is a female, on the box society says is female. Instead of making that person feel they have to transition by unnatural means, they should be educated and raised in a society where males can be as feminine as they desire without feelings the need to change who they are to fit into a box society deems more acceptable. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.