Solar Power/Turbine Powered Vehicles

DatChickDoe

Not sure how realistic it would be.

But could a vehicle utilize solar power to start the engine (while storing extra power in a battery) and then use turbine energy it harvests while the vehicle is in motion driving down the road to keep a vehicle energized? 

There's no way there wasn't/isn't a way to get rid of fossil fuels. But we know how everything goes...

I feel like that solution would be really expensive and not as efficient/reliable as an EV when people (who are in the market for these type of cars) can afford to park them in their garage. Maybe solar power as an add-on to EV. Depends if the cost of manufacturing and parts are worth it. It just makes more sense to bring down the costs of solar panels for the average home.

I read that a water-powered car was once invented and the creator mysteriously died. :emofish: 

There’s already a solar-assisted EV named the Lightyear 1.  You could theoretically charge it solely via sunlight, but it will require a looooong time to charge, hence why it’s solar-assisted.

51 minutes ago, 808s said:

There's no way there wasn't/isn't a way to get rid of fossil fuels. But we know how everything goes...

I know. It just sucks for our planet.

13 minutes ago, Archetype said:

There’s already a solar-assisted EV named the Lightyear 1.  You could theoretically charge it solely via sunlight, but it will require a looooong time to charge, hence why it’s solar-assisted.

Thank you, I will look at that. Bored on the freeway today, I was wondering why a wind powered solution hadn’t been done. Since the forward motion would be able to accomplish the rotations for wind power. 

1 hour ago, DatChickDoe said:

I was wondering why a wind powered solution hadn’t been done. Since the forward motion would be able to accomplish the rotations for wind power. 

I just don't think enough energy would be converted from wind-based solutions compared to the amount of energy required to reach speeds where energy could be reasonably collected.  If it was, we would see this already implemented on airplanes and such.  In comparison, solar energy can be collected at any speed as long as the car isn't covered completely by shade, and doesn't require any energy to work.  However x2, the amount of surface area on a car to add solar panels is not enough to meaningfully impact an EV's range, so the Lightyear 1 can be looked at more like a study until solar technology becomes more efficient.

Edited by Archetype

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.