Is ADELE the Norah Jones of our time?

LanaDelRey

Is Adele the new Norah Jones?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Is she?

• Yes
    • We'll only be able to tell for sure after Adele's next album flops

After looking at Adele's updated CSPC thread I couldn't help but immediately notice the similarities to Norah Jones' career trajectory wherein both had 2-3 relatively successful eras and then their projects started bombing. 25 - 30 is easily one of the biggest declines I've ever seen  

Would you agree with the statement that Ms. Adkins is the Norah Jones of our times? 

Edited by LanaDelRey

Adele has successful singles tho Norah was just an album seller with no single power which is impressive but at the same time puts her beyond Adele 

Norah had strong album sales & was (sort of) a Grammy darling but lack of hit singles is what sets them apart. 

Norah expanded  from jazz, to bluegrass, folk, americana, alt pop wich hurt her sales.

3 minutes ago, tshwark said:

Norah expanded  from jazz, to bluegrass, folk, americana, alt pop wich hurt her sales.

True ! which at least makes Norah's underperformances excusable, unlike Adele who literally released the exact same album 4 times in a row 

Just now, LanaDelRey said:

True ! which at least makes Norah's underperformances excusable, unlike Adele who literally released the exact same album 4 times in a row 

Not even MJ was able to mantain his peak after going Diamond back to back, Adele did it in pure sales, not even Taylor comes close, nothing left to prove, after 15 years of career her lead single went #1 for 10 weeks, who else is doing that.

6 minutes ago, LanaDelRey said:

I can’t with the so called underperformance of an era that lasted like one month… she still did amazing with 30 and I would love to see my faves underperforming with an era like 30 that lasted 1 month and was very polarizing by her fans and the GP in general lol 

I don’t think they’re comparable in that sense tbh because Norah actually took risks and etc. 

and also the ppl in here saying Norah didn’t have singles noteworthy, when literally all her singles are what the GP remembers. Not her albums :rip:

Adele “flopped” (by her standards) because she kept pretending to be an old lady. New look should have = risks + bops + new, but she was too dense to see that. Missed opportunity.

28 minutes ago, LanaDelRey said:

You're comparing two completely different eras. Adele literally had a 10 week number 1 smash with her album and sold millions. How can that be seen as anything other than a huge success in this current era? How many other established acts can accomplish that? And still comparing an album released now to albums released 6-10 years ago, especially albums released during her commercial peak. :deadbanana: Adele's success was always going to level itself out. 

At the end of the day, 30's biggest problem was the long term planning. Her team centered their strategy around squeezing out one last "hurrah" in regards to physical sales, at the expense of streaming. 

1 hour ago, LanaDelRey said:

Tell me how a song like Cold Shoulder is similar to anything Adele released in 25?

How Rolling in the Deep is similar to anything Adele released in 30?

Go get your ears checked if you think her four albums sound the same.

:laugh:

What a reach. Adele is on another level in terms of everything imo, Norah did great commercially for a while and thats all, shes more low profile. I dont think she cared about "underperforming" at all.

More like Celine Dion tho 

No...Norah Jones didn't have vocals and had a underproduced folksy vibe.

in order to be norah Jones you need to be irrelevant after your second album so no

Adele has had a way bigger career then Norah, we will have to wait and see.:michael:

Not really.

People love to call Adele the new Norah but :

• Adele was selling 30m and 20m albums WW when selling 10m was an absolute rarity
  • Adele has the two best-selling albums WW of the 2010s by a LONG shot while Come Away with Me was outsold by the Beatles' 1 in the 2000s
  • Norah's second album was outsold by Usher's Confessions in 2004 while 25 sold almost 4x more than the second best-selling album of 2015
  • Norah's third album wasn't even in the WW year-end Top 10 in 2007 while 30 was #1
  • People also seem to forget / ignore that Norah started declining when music was STILL selling
  • 25 exceeded expectations and was a juggernaut in 2015 while 30 is just... a huge success in 2021 but sales declined massively since 2015 which explains her brutal decline in terms of numbers
  • Norah has ZERO hit

I believe Adele will always have a stronger fanbase than Norah because of social networks. People know when she releases something, they follow her, etc. Norah is kind of forgotten (and became forgotten) because she didn't have those platforms to remain in the public eye.

I think any Adele release will still be an event for at least a decade though. She's a darling. People love her. She just needs another huge song to become a staple again (she still is imo) and she'll get it for a movie, or a lead single.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.