Amazon reveals new Alexa feature; replicating the voice of a dead relative

mystery

Amazon Shows Off Alexa Speaking in the Voice of a Dead Relative

In a demo that has drawn comparisons to dystopian series “Black Mirror,” Amazon revealed that it has developed a way for its Alexa voice assistant to replicate the speech of a dead relative — based on less than a minute of recorded audio of the original person.

The ecommerce giant showed off the new technology Wednesday at its re:MARS conference, Amazon’s global artificial-intelligence event for machine learning, automation, robotics and space. In a video demo shown at the event, a young boy says, “Alexa, can Grandma finish reading me ‘The Wizard of Oz’?” — whereupon a synthesized voice of the grandmother emanates from an Amazon Echo Dot smart speaker.

“As you saw in this experience, instead of Alexa’s voice reading the book, it’s the kid’s grandma’s voice,” Rohit Prasad, Amazon’s Alexa AI senior vice president and head scientist, told attendees.

Edited by mystery

Joanne's never ending impact

Nah. Too creepy. And I don’t even think this would be a good idea for kids to hear their grandparents voices like in the demonstration video. Kids need to be able to come to grips with the idea of mortality.

The concepts of death and finality, should not be messed with.

I don't think there's anything "bad" about this per se, it's moreso the implication set about the direction technology is heading. 

0e02d123d420152075761f569f29c046.gif

There is a guy on YouTube who has been doing this with dead celebrities. Cody ITC it is the creepiest trend 

Two words: security breach.

Imagine the future of voice technology… using your own voice to unlock your phone or computer. Guess Alexa can be useful for something :eli:

This should be banned by mental health organizations, it’s disturbing to say the least. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.