‘Lilo & Stitch’ director frustrated by ‘Frozen’ praise: "We did it first!"

Riot

lilo frozen

When “Frozen” broke through the pop culture zeitgeist upon release in 2013, it was widely celebrated for how it rejected the romantic standards of the Disney animated fairy tale. The heart of “Frozen” was the relationship between sisters Anna and Elsa, not either characters’ connection to a man. There was no prince saving the day or “true love’s first kiss” shared between a man and a woman. Moviegoers hailed “Frozen” for prioritizing sisterhood, but such praise made “Lilo & Stitch” co-director Chris Sanders a bit aggravated.

“To be clear, I think ‘Frozen’s’ great,” Sanders recently told The New York Times while celebrating “Lilo & Stitch’s” 20th anniversary. “But it was a little bit frustrating for me because people were like, ‘Finally, a nonromantic relationship with these two girls,’ and I thought, ‘We did that! That has absolutely been done before.’”

[...]

For Sanders, the focus on sisterhood as seen in Lilo and Nani’s relationship predates “Frozen” by over a decade. The co-director wishes the film would get its due for centralizing a non-romance at its center.

Source

Do you share the same feelings as the Lilo & Stitch director on the matter? Do the queens of Hawaii deserve their flowers? Is Frozen more popular just because of white mediocrity? Comment below.

8a39475d361f24c6095c287b4e7751ad.gif

Lilo & Stitch :alexz:

He's right, Frozen was the most overrated sensation in recent memory.

no lies detected

Lilo & Stitch is one of the best Disney movies, I watch it at least 3-4 times a year

Lilo & Stitch is overrated af 

Frozen outsold 

Lilo and Stitch is a classic unlike the other one so he should say it. whew let me stream it this evening, it's been years :jonnycat:

26 minutes ago, Axolotl said:

They didn't lie. 

25 minutes ago, ATWK said:

He's right and he should say it

But the main characters in Lilo & Stich are well, Lilo & Sitch, Lilo's sister appears but nothing would've happened if she wasn't there so she's basically just there.

Just now, UnusualBoy said:

But the main characters in Lilo & Stich are well, Lilo & Sitch, Lilo's sister appears but nothing would've happened if she wasn't there so she's basically just there.

…I- no way you just typed this. Girl watch it again :deadbanana4:

I find this kinda stupid. Frozen is very on the dot about the romance and how Anna wants to be married to a cute prince and stuff until she learns she doesn't really need that. While Lilo & Stitch had Nani and Lilo more in a parental type relationship that never really had that "dream" Disney romance that Anna was crazy about. Lilo & Stitch was more a plight about how Nani had to support her family while being in the circumstances she was in. I just imagine more kids can relate to the Anna and Elsa relationship moreso than Lilo and Nani. As true as Nani and Lilo's situation can be for some people.

Pretty much can be summed up to Frozen being a Disney princess movie that broke standard stereotypes, while Lilo & Stitch never approached that subject. It was always meant to be a coming-of-age movie describing growth between two sisters.

Edited by LustSpell

Lilo and Stitch is a timeless classic. The director shouldn't be worried about that 10's fad.

Frozen is the most overrated Disney film of ALL TIME.

Lilo & Stitch >>

Lilo & Stitch is way superior and it inspired Harleys in Hawaii so >>>>>

1 hour ago, Riot said:

Do you share the same feelings as the Lilo & Stitch director on the matter?

Yes. Frozen it's just a basic movie recycling the same stuff Disney has been doing for decades, it put nothing new on the table :swan:

1 hour ago, Riot said:

Do the queens of Hawaii deserve their flowers?

Yes :cm:

1 hour ago, Riot said:

Is Frozen more popular just because of white mediocrity?

Also yes :swan:

Frozen is one of the worst Disney movies of all their animated films.. Lilo and Stitch finally getting its flowers after so many years :rip:

Frozen is cute and I get its appeal but Lilo & Stitch is one of the best Disney movies ever made so :WAP:

I used to be obsessed with the animated series, wouldn't miss one episode. And the game where you could create your own "Stitch" in the disney website omg :jonny5:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.