The Beyoncé Effect: Robin S. flooded with opportunities after sample

ShouldersSideways

Beyoncé haters can take several seats as far as Robin S. is concerned ... because Bey's "Break My Soul" is opening all kinds of doors for the 90s hitmaker.

Beyonce's first single from a studio album in 6 years samples Robin's smash 1993 hit, "Show Me Love" -- and if your ear didn't pick that up, you're in the minority.

She says the calls are coming from ad agencies, record labels and top DJs ... and her team is frantically trying to vet the offers as quickly as possible. So, If you've ever doubted the Beyonce effect is a real thing, Robin can testify.

Most importantly, though, she's elated and grateful Bey is giving her her flowers while she's still here ... an honor many artists don't get. 

TMZ

3 minutes ago, Protocol said:

It’s not even a sample :rip: 

I didn't fully understand the "If you didn't pick that up, you're in the minority" part either because I'm sure a lot of people didn't :rip: I think the industry is moving toward being extra careful after the Marvin Gaye estate lawsuit

4 minutes ago, Protocol said:

It’s not even a sample :rip: 

yeah i keep reading that it’s a sample but i don’t hear it at all. is it credited? 

charli obviously sampled it. jason derulo obviously sampled it. this i don’t hear - it’s obviously vaguely similar, but not the same.. not even close. 

5 minutes ago, Power love said:

What’s this fan fiction

Idk ask Robin S. I don't have her number but I'm sure you can find it if you try hard enough.

Maybe in the US it's an opportunity for her but here in the UK Show Me Love is still on daily radio rotation like 30 years later :deadbanana2:

Also the sample isn't evident at all, it's just the same organ synth as countless other house songs and doesn't follow the same melody. There've been lots of other hits that have covered or sampled Show Me Love and brought it back into the mainstream

1 hour ago, Teen Idle said:

Maybe in the US it's an opportunity for her but here in the UK Show Me Love is still on daily radio rotation like 30 years later :deadbanana2:

Also the sample isn't evident at all, it's just the same organ synth as countless other house songs and doesn't follow the same melody. There've been lots of other hits that have covered or sampled Show Me Love and brought it back into the mainstream

I mean, sure, but the woman herself is saying its bringing her so many opportunities she can't even keep up so maybe we just take her word for it :rip: 

16 minutes ago, ShouldersSideways said:

I mean, sure, but the woman herself is saying its bringing her so many opportunities she can't even keep up so maybe we just take her word for it :rip: 

Fair enough :gaycat4:

5 minutes ago, Bang Up said:

:ahh: The Bey team PR trying to make this song seem like a hit. :rip:

Now you thinking Beyoncé care about hits :ahh:Beyoncé not desperate because if she did, we would have gotten a video and release on Friday. She not y’all desperate faves

6 minutes ago, Bang Up said:

I imagine its easier to delude yourself into thinking all Bey praise is bought and paid for than to live in the real world where she's more universally beloved and respected than most pop stars will ever be.

I guess American agencies, companies etc are the ones reaching out to her since they may have not heard the song prior to Bey's release.

40 minutes ago, Bang Up said:

the fact that y’all are so disconnected from how ridiculous you sound saying stuff like this :rip: 

embarrassing

1 hour ago, St. Francis said:

I guess American agencies, companies etc are the ones reaching out to her since they may have not heard the song prior to Bey's release.

it's also entirely possible that they've heard of her but have just been reminded of her, or even if they hadn't "forgotten" her,  are wanting to capitalize on the moment that BREAK MY SOUL has brought to her song again. I think it's a lot different for a classic song to be beloved and a classic song to be of the moment...sort of like Running Up That Hill had renewed interest despite being one of Kate's biggest and most beloved hits as it was.

Edited by swissman

Beyoncé continuing to open doors for other black women. :clap3: I can see why a certain fan base is pressed.

It’s not a sample I don’t think, it just uses a similar synth.  Lol.  

:clap3:Love that.

Beyonce did that! I’m sure Big Freedia will also get many opportunities because of the song. Even though many Bey haters annoyingly make an issue thinking she should’ve been credited as co-lead which is stupid ?

4 minutes ago, insomniac said:

:clap3:Love that.

Beyonce did that! I’m sure Big Freedia will also get many opportunities because of the song. Even though many Bey haters annoyingly make an issue thinking she should’ve been credited as co-lead which is stupid ?

Other girls have no issue giving credit to Freedia

35 minutes ago, Superbitch said:

Other girls have no issue giving credit to Freedia

Big Freedia actually has writing credits in BREAK MY SOUL though, which will giver her actual coins going forward from the song. I'm not sure how features work but isn't that just a one-time payment?

And in Kesha's case, that's newly recorded vocals by Big Freedia.

In Beyoncé's song Freedia's vocals are a sample from an existing track and as far as I know, samples usually aren't given featured artist credits.

Edited by swissman

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.