Thoughts on retrospective reviews?

Julia Fox

Do they made justice? Do they just inflates the album quality just because poptimism? Do they just for clicks and money? Do they show the accuracy more than the first review? Does they have more power than the initial review?

discuss

• ATRL Moderator

I get them, because it’s easier to analyze something with hindsight, but it’s also easier to give something a positive review after it’s been around for a decade or more and is still beloved (or pan it cause it’s forgotten).  

I find old reviews that pan classic albums or Stan forgotten albums more interesting to read.  

Most retrospective reviews are probably done for clicks.  

8 minutes ago, Johnny Cash said:

As biased and useless as reviews on the initial release. 

:cm:

Retrospective reviews are better than overinflating new releases.

Lot of albums considered classic now got panned on arrival. 

Mostly useless because they already follow what the gp has deemed an album over time. Case in point: the unanimous praise they gave Born to Die on its 10-year anniversary, with some of those same publications dragging the album through the mud initially for the very things it helped define in the music scene last decade.

Edited by NOW

i dont read them, mostly they go for praise to heaven high and settle the bias towards all those stansuccess/numbers/longevity while its more of clear vision when albums released. only benefits for newbie listeners and those casual who not into music.

but i recommend to agree on having retro reviews, sometimes people missed that certain period and exceptional albums which stand ahead of its time belong to have moment to recognition, i still wont read them though. for ex, pj harvey ones, my bloody valentine ones, Sun Ra ones, or a tribe called quest ones.

perfect example for initial panned album to have that retro praise moment is trouble in paradise - la roux

Edited by Polgg48

They can be just as biased as the initial ones.

But some can be interesting.

I like watching reaction videos to super old pop songs if that counts, lol.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.