Gloria Estefan turned down Super Bowl Halftime, shades J. Lo

Bimbo

Jlo could do solo super bowl performance tho.

not the twitter handler being “cautionriah” :rip:

the obsession 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Protocol

• James_Dean

• PopNStuff

• SavagePapi

And what would Gloria even sing? The Conga? 

JLO Latina Legend could have done it solo

It’s so funny how a majority of ATRL that stans JLO are also anti bey, anti Taylor, made some questionable racist remarks on this forum, etc., but it’s just a damning observation I made. 

:celestial2:

Mariah stans think about Jlo every hour of the day. Truly obsessed.

3 hours ago, Keter said:

If Gloria had accepted alongside Shakira, they could’ve sent J.Lo home and had two amazing Latin talents on that stage. 

A concept :jonnycat:add Sheila E and it’s a whole moment 

1 hour ago, Mtjjproducer said:

Jlo has more than enough hits to do it by herself. Shakira may be bigger globally but in the US her only real hits anyone remembers are wherever, and hips don't lie. you can stretch it if you ask some 2000's gays they will say she wolf, the Rihanna song and I think she had a guitar ballad that was a hit. but outside of that she has no more real US hits. most American's who watch the Super Bowl don't know Shakira like that tbh. now if it was the World Cup then I would say Shakira but not the superbowl 

Many of Shakira's hits that weren't performed at the Superbowl have better recurrent streams in the United States than several of the J.Lo songs that actually made the setlist, so this is quite the hot take!

1 hour ago, Alongoria13 said:

Hating JLo is so tacky, leave her alone :fish2:

This. It’s not even funny anymore. 

J.Lo and the Estefans are friends. Gloria loves J.Lo and Shakira and she loved their performance. ❤️

Edited by Onthe6

Do the GP actually dislike JLo or is it purely an internet thing? Anytime I hear JLo hate it’s always online.

1 hour ago, Nightingale said:

Except Gloria didn’t even shade her. She cracked a joke about it and agreed that the performance was already going to be so packed so Gloria turned down and appearance

Sucks that this was the exact same thing that happened with the out of context quotes from the documentary and people still haven’t learned to actually watch the source

Most of this misinformation and disinformation is coming from Mariah fans of all people. I get how the Shakira fans might feel some type of way, but the Lambs need to leave J.Lo alone already.

4 hours ago, Protocol said:

She hasn't been truly relevant in music since 2003, I really disagree that she could do a halftime alone :rip: 

Gloria had huge hits in 2006 and 2010/11 which is a huge achievement considering she was already 50. 

4 hours ago, James_Dean said:

She had a successful Vegas residency, she could easily do the halftime show on her own :rip: it's not the Grammys :deadbanana4:

Exactly :clap3:

56 minutes ago, alestevens said:

Many of Shakira's hits that weren't performed at the Superbowl have better recurrent streams in the United States than several of the J.Lo songs that actually made the setlist, so this is quite the hot take!

I mean Hips Don't Lie alone is massively more iconic than any JLo song and has infinitely better recurrent streams than many of her top hits put together

@Materialboy215

Ikr?

but then again, the reason I compare J-Lo to Usher/Alicia is because they havent got big hit for almost a decade

J-Lo : On The Floor (2010)

Usher : Scream (2012)

Alicia : Girl on Fire (2012)

And I said that Usher and Alicia are above J-Lo, read my comment carefully sis

I know they are big and they havent headlined Superbowl yet, but J-Lo has. That's why she is si lucky yet she is so ungrateful and complained about many things and ruined the perfection of their performances

And for the record, Gloria already did the halftime TWICE :clap3:

1992 & 1999

and declined it in 2020:clap3:

1 hour ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

Do the GP actually dislike JLo or is it purely an internet thing? Anytime I hear JLo hate it’s always online.

Basically, bitter lambs and unemployed kids online.

:celestial3:

8 hours ago, PopNStuff said:

This is how misinformation and disinformation happens.

Gloria Estefan NEVER said that J.Lo didn't want her to join them, she said that they only had 12 minutes and if she would have said yes, she would have come out for 1 min and that she didn't want to get on a diet for the show.

Again she never even shaded J.Lo. These Mariah Carey accounts keep spreading lies.

What else is new. But thanks to them for putting wood on the fire, I guess it only translates into more streams of the Halftime doc. 

But yeah if you saw the WWHL episode you know Gloria was only joking towards that comment ?

5 hours ago, Sweet Sexy Savage said:

It’s so funny how a majority of ATRL that stans JLO are also anti bey, anti Taylor, made some questionable racist remarks on this forum, etc., but it’s just a damning observation I made. 

:celestial2:

What in the fanfic. This is an actual lie. 

Most J.Lo fans love Beyoncé and also Taylor Swift. Mariah too, btw. It’s just the constant petty Stan’s of especially Mariah, and also some Shakira stans, that keep stirring up **** with petty stats and clickbait headlines. 

Anyway, back to the original topic of discussion. The praise that Gloria gave both Shakira and J.Lo :clap3:

9 hours ago, skinnylegendBR said:

jlow is a joke. no one respect her

That’s such a stupid comment. 90% of people irl like Jennifer Lopez. Like, I don’t recall ever hearing someone clearly showing hate for her. The hate train against her only exists on the internet :rip: People enjoy her music and her movies.

Also, JLo has said nothing wrong and those attacking her haven’t watched the documentary.

She could have done it by herself and Shakira too. 

8 hours ago, Baby Boy said:

JLo has plenty of hits to do an entire half time herself pls stop lying to yourselves. 

- If You Had My Love

- Waiting for Tonight

- Let’s Get Loud

- Love Don’t Cost A Thing

- I’m Real

- Ain’t It Funny

- Jenny from the Block

- All I Have (I wouldn’t have included it on the set list personally but it’s well known)

- I’m Glad (not as memorable but one of my favs)

- Get Right 

- On the Floor

Jenny didn’t say anything wrong. & I think the documentary did a good job explaining why getting 2 latinas for one super bowl when BOTH could’ve done their own was weird. 

Not to mention they’re running out of SB worthy performers. What was the point of doubling up?

You could add Ain't Your Mama and Dance Again to the list

10 hours ago, Protocol said:

Absolutely not, which is why she didn't. She does not have an iconic enough discography to be able to go at it alone. Her US music career is pretty much limited to forgotten hits from 1999-2002 and one hit in 2011 thanks to Pitbull and a big sample.

:ahh: the pressed Shakira stans

JLo has A LOT of recognisable hits and this comment is delusional. 

She could’ve done it herself but she comes across a bit ungrateful because so many artists want that spot and never get it. She is complaining that she had to share. Personally think it was better that they shared. It was more exciting. 

11 hours ago, Bey'Knight said:

JLo’s comments were uncalled for. She should’ve bowed out if she felt strongly about a solo headliner. And Benny was reaching. The halftime show has had Co-headliners on multiple occasions.  

12 hours ago, Totami Legend said:

Her doc had nothing interesting to say so she had to play the race card to justify her ego.

You do not publicly criticize the presence of another artists on stage AFTER you agree to do it. It’s not classy.

Have to co-sign these. 

I felt some of the J.Lo from that infamous 1998 Movieline interview coming out, which was...unfortunate. Will leave it there.

Gloria Estefan isn't criticizing her, but I think people are always ready to attack J.Lo because she wasn't precisely known for being the nicest person to work with in the industry in the 00s. Even if you forget about her attitude in interviews, many people can attest to unpleasant encounters.

She mellowed down now, but you can't erase years of bad reputation so quickly. But, unlike someone like Christina (who had similar issues), J Lo doesn't have an extraordinary talent: she is a jack of all trades, master of none, and detractors will always tell her so... It sucks, but you reap what you sow.

Meanwhile, Shakira steals from the Spanish government, constantly ignores her country's political situation, etc... Yet people love her, because she cultivated that humble image with the public and her peers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.