Gloria Estefan turned down Super Bowl Halftime, shades J. Lo

Bimbo

16 minutes ago, Protocol said:

So did the Backstreet Boys, are they Superbowl headliner material in this day and age?

I know you're not that dense :toofunny3:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Protocol

• James_Dean

• PopNStuff

• SavagePapi

18 minutes ago, Protocol said:

So did the Backstreet Boys, are they Superbowl headliner material in this day and age?

Both have stopped being commercially relevant in terms of their music but JLo has never stopped being a high profile celebrity. 

Imagine thinking the Jennifer Lopez could not do the Super Bowl on her own. :toofunny2:

Imagine saying "she has no hits" when Beyoncé performed End of Time :rip:

JLo stans dont' get it— it's not about whether she "woulda" "coulda" been able to carry a whole show all by herself.

It's about class and respect for fellow artists.

You don't badmouth someone you shared a stage with. That's a no no in music and entertainment / arts (with the exception of rap battles and comedy roasts where that is the whole point).

JLo breached this unwritten code of conduct between artists with her superbowl halftime trash-talking.

JLo’s comments were uncalled for. She should’ve bowed out if she felt strongly about a solo headliner. And Benny was reaching. The halftime show has had Co-headliners on multiple occasions.  

1 hour ago, skinnylegendBR said:

jlow is a joke. no one respect her

Girl bye. Have you ever watched Selena ? Jlo is everything and she has many iconic bops. 

Jlo's show was far better than Shakira's and obviously she could've done on her own.

Also it's not like she didn't want to share the stage with Shakira, she was mad bc she thought that NFL were thinking that she and Shak weren't good enough to do on their own, this was the so-called "worst idea". Twitter users are spreading fake news to get their quick kiis and likes but when you watch the whole doc you can understand what she meant.

56 minutes ago, Protocol said:

Absolutely not, which is why she didn't. She does not have an iconic enough discography to be able to go at it alone. Her US music career is pretty much limited to forgotten hits from 1999-2002 and one hit in 2011 thanks to Pitbull and a big sample.

Girl, stop lying. Not iconic enough?

If You Had My Love

Waiting For Tonight

No Me Ames

Love Don't Cost A Thing

Play

I'm Real (Remix)

Ain't It Funny (Femix)

I'm Gonna Be Alright (Remix)

Jenny From The Block

All I Have

I'm Glad

Get Right

Control Myself

Que Hiciste

Do It Well

On The Floor

I'm Into You

Dance Again

Follow The Leader

Booty

Ain't Your Mama 

El Anillo

J.Lo had more than enough hits to do it on her own. And she was going to do it alone until they added Shakira. It happened, and she still did it. Her issue was not sharing the stage. It was the fact that they both could have done it alone, and if not, atleast been given more time.

OT: Gloria didn't shade her. And ATRL really needs to stop sharing tweets from lambs who are well known to misconstrue words just to fit their 'narratives' about J.Lo. Gloria has always talked nicely about J.Lo, and in the same interview she literally said, "they killed it, they did an amazing show".

Nothing else to see here.

No one can deny that JLo did a fantastic job during the superbowl and, of course, would do a fantastic job as a solo performer. I think she understood better than Shakira the concept of bring a super performance. All the lights, fireworks, dance moves, beautiful outfits, etc. very Vegas. However, Shakira have the real latin hits, the charisma and the public’s hearts. And I think the latin people identify themselves way more with Shakira than they do with JLo, and in the end she kinda won, using only a rope and her bellydance lol.

1 hour ago, Protocol said:

Honestly, Yes

Those white boys can dance, and 4 out of 5 of them can still sing. The guest and collab possibilities and wild too like have JC chasez and friends pop over. Maybe NKOTB. Probably co headline with an All Black male group as well like  Dru Hill

Edited by Enoch

“OK, and imagine what J.Lo would have said if I was the third [performer]!”

“Plus, I didn’t want to go on a diet in December.”

:ahh: 

40 minutes ago, Raiden said:

It's about class and respect for fellow artists.

You don't badmouth someone you shared a stage with. That's a no no in music and entertainment / arts (with the exception of rap battles and comedy roasts where that is the whole point).

JLo breached this unwritten code of conduct between artists with her superbowl halftime trash-talking.

She didn't bad mouth Shakira in anyway.

It's amazing how you guys love to run with the clickbait headlines that are taken out of context cause it's cute to drag JLo :deadbanana4:

I watched the doc and she literally said they're both huge stars, that they should have had the opportunity to headline their own shows. To cram both women into a 12 minute segment IS ridiculous when awful acts like Maroon 5 have had the opportunity to headline on their + guests as they choose. 

1 hour ago, Bimbo said:

Jlo simply doesn't have those "Big Iconic HITS" to do a Superbowl Halftime Show alone and she's not musically revelant either ??‍♂️

Absolutely not, which is why she didn't. She does not have an iconic enough discography to be able to go at it alone. Her US music career is pretty much limited to forgotten hits from 1999-2002 and one hit in 2011 thanks to Pitbull and a big sample.

I think it's actually better when an artist has a smaller catalogue of well known hits.  I get so annoyed during these performances when the song keeps changing every 30 seconds.  J Lo could easily fill 12 minutes and even throw in her famous dance breaks.

Hell YES.

1 hour ago, selfmadelatino said:

She didn’t shade her if you really watched the clip 

1 hour ago, PopNStuff said:

This is how misinformation and disinformation happens.

Gloria Estefan NEVER said that J.Lo didn't want her to join them, she said that they only had 12 minutes and if she would have said yes, she would have come out for 1 min and that she didn't want to get on a diet for the show.

Again she never even shaded J.Lo. These Mariah Carey accounts keep spreading lies.

Thank you! She even praised them and said they did a terrific job 

Shakira’s biggest hit in the US Hips Don’t Lie was a whole remake of a another song Wyclef Jean made with another artist

a year earlier for a soundtrack of a flop sequel to Dirty Dancing; which itself  samples an even older song. The best part of Hips Don’t Lie is the sample take it out and there’s nothing special about It. I love both songs though. 

This is so misleading. She said they wanted to Miami themed performance and asked her but she had already done a few Super Bowls so she said no (she also didn't want to go on a diet). She then joked about how the time they had was already short all she would've have time to sing is the one line. 

Jlo has more than enough hits to do it by herself. Shakira may be bigger globally but in the US her only real hits anyone remembers are wherever, and hips don't lie. you can stretch it if you ask some 2000's gays they will say she wolf, the Rihanna song and I think she had a guitar ballad that was a hit. but outside of that she has no more real US hits. most American's who watch the Super Bowl don't know Shakira like that tbh. now if it was the World Cup then I would say Shakira but not the superbowl 

Hating JLo is so tacky, leave her alone :fish2:

1 hour ago, God_Donna said:

Girl bye. Have you ever watched Selena ? Jlo is everything and she has many iconic bops. 

690B20BF-CBDF-41E5-B676-9278FEDF7D91.thu

Except Gloria didn’t even shade her. She cracked a joke about it and agreed that the performance was already going to be so packed so Gloria turned down and appearance

Sucks that this was the exact same thing that happened with the out of context quotes from the documentary and people still haven’t learned to actually watch the source

2 hours ago, Totami Legend said:

Her doc had nothing interesting to say so she had to play the race card to justify her ego.

You do not publicly criticize the presence of another artists on stage AFTER you agree to do it. It’s not classy.

Exactly. She needs to be called out for trying to use a black woman to imply that the Academy [committee] was being racist for not nominating her for Hustlers. Why use a black woman to infer what you believe is true? That was one of the few times a black person was on camera in a speaking role. 

2 hours ago, skinnylegendBR said:

jlow is a joke. no one respect her

Her peers and executives bts certainly don't ??‍♂️

2 hours ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

Yikes. For someone who shares so much of her music with other, more talented voices, JLo sure has a problem with collaboration. 

Didn't Gloria Estefan gift JLo one of the records that jumpstarted her career ("Let's Get Loud")? Super ungrateful. :coffee2:

Thats really crazy when U put it that way ??‍♂️

1 hour ago, Safe&Sound said:

Surely she doesnt have issue with the production, the energy, the capability of performing for 15 minutes, she is interesting performer

But I must say that I agree that it's her discography which cant pull it off

She must be big head with all the big awards (Vanguard, Icon award, etc.) they gave on award show, but those performances on VMA, AMA, BBMA don't make noise either because she kept performing same old songs

She is even a tier below Usher and Alicia who has more and stronger hits than her yet havent performed, yet she is lucky her celebrity status could get a Superbowl offer

U making it sound like Usher or AK is flops or something. Usher is pretty much 3o yrs in the game and have 8 Grammys and a DIAMOND album with ton of iconic hits and Alicia has like 100 Grammys and sold a **** ton of albums ntm she's an incredible talent and both are hella more successful than JLO ever was and they are no slouch a%$ artists so idk what U meant by that?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.