“Don’t Say Gay” Comes to Pennsylvania

Horizon Flame

• ATRL Moderator
2 hours ago, Raver said:

The teacher’s response should be to talk to the parents of the student who is bullying other kids and let them know what is going on. Have them deal with it and if the problem persist then start giving detention or referrals to the bully. 

Sexual orientation or gender identity should not be taught in kinder through 3rd grade. Should be taught when kids are learning about sexual education when they’re much older. What’s the need to introduce kids this information so early on? It’s unnecessary and most of the time too complex for them. Let kids be kids. 

I saw a video of a teacher taking about how hard it is for their students to comprehend that they (the teacher) is non binary. Their students are in 2nd grade and when they came out as non-binary, they tried to explain to the students what non-binary is and after they were done the students said “that makes no sense”. Kids at that age aren’t worried about gender or sexual orientation and I highly doubt a 5year old is going to extensively bully another student over their lesbian parents to the point it interrupts class room discussion. 

You really don’t get it lol.  

Heterosexuality is literally weaved into our social fabric.  Straight teachers can talk about their spouses and families freely (don’t lie and say that this never happened to you as a kid - it did).  Stories include straight relationships and cis characters.  Should we avoid doing that to “let kids be kids.”  Trans people and gay people existing  is a fact of life and sheltering young kids from that does nothing but breed more hate.   

9 minutes ago, madonnas said:

Straight teachers can talk about their spouses and families freely (don’t lie and say that this never happened to you as a kid - it did).  

That never happen once when I went to elementary school. Middle school and high school sure. Teachers spent the whole periods talking about their personal lives but not during kinder through fifth grade 

10 minutes ago, madonnas said:

Should we avoid doing that to “let kids be kids.”  Trans people and gay people existing  is a fact of life and sheltering young kids from that does nothing but breed more hate.   

I disagree. 

1 hour ago, Raver said:

All I said was keep sexual orientation and gender identity out of those 4 grades. I never once mentioned sex is being discussed but you and two other members keep bringing it up. What’s the issue with keeping those topics out of kinder, first grade, second grade, and third grade? This isn’t the hill our community needs to die on. Read the room and let kids be kids 

A 5 year old is going to be bullying another 5 year old to the point it interrupts classroom discussion because the kid has lesbian parents? Yeah I don’t see that happening but if you do then you’re always thinking the worst possible case scenario that most likely won’t happen :sorry:

So should movies like Sleeping Beauty and The Incredibles not be shown in classrooms? Those movies could potentially lead to topics of sexual orientation. Pretty sure the PA bills refers to K-5, not just K-3 btw. 

The probability of a kindergartner bullying their classmate is MUCH higher than a teacher talking to their students about sexual orientation but sure, that’s the scenario you don’t see happening :rip: 

14 hours ago, Bloo said:

It is. Until they start blocking the countless content depicting heterosexual relationships aimed for children, then they're signaling gay is abnormal and straight is acceptable. That's abject homophobia.

You’re absolutely right. 

17 hours ago, Raver said:

Exactly. The media keeps misinterpreting the bill which prohibits class room discussion regarding sexual orientation or gender identity from Kinder through 3rd gradewhich I don’t see anything wrong with that. Kids haven’t even gone thru puberty during those grades like let kids be kids. 

What about love? Fairytales with princes and princesses? Banned too?

Can someone please stop these ******* monsters? 

Thankfully they don't have a veto-proof majority in the Assembly and the Republican gubernatorial nominee is a nut case, but you never know what could happen after the mess in Virginia.

The uS of a.

a 4th world country.

I kinda agree but not really. 

Since Kids that age don't really understand relationships they should ban all heterosexual material as well. That would be fair. Also if they just include two princes/men/women in some storys they wouldn't be discussing it but instead would communicate that it is normal.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.