Would you classify Chromatica as 'house' music?

Weld_E

Would you classify Chromatica as 'house' music?  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Would you classify Chromatica as 'house' music?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• State of Grace.

• Squall

• collin

• Cryptique

4 minutes ago, Marry Illusion Glory said:

This thread is so embarrassing :toofunny2:

Serving

cooltext413884088358746.png

@Reverse Warholian

:rip:

Chromatica is Edie M&M!! /closethread 

Edited by Reverse Warholian

19 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

Replay is quite literally one of the songs that managed to authentically capture the "90s house" the most on the album :deadbanana2:

I fully disagree, sorry. :rip: 

• ATRL Moderator

I mean... it's house-inspired at the very least, I'm not sure what's even up for debate? :rip:

BloodP*p sanitised a lot of the production into oblivion (and yes, he's going to jail for that), but you can hear the original house influence all over the demos.

On 6/22/2022 at 1:36 AM, gatito said:

it's run of the mill electro pop that she has been rehashing since 2011 :coffee2: 

:michael:

The thought that FREAKING BEYONCE would be inspired by someone like... lady ga ga of all people is just so ludicrous :dies:

No! I don't think Beyoncé is looking to artists, who aren't even her peers in 2022, for inspiration :toofunny2:

67ED1261-D41D-46F9-8B20-EAFFE4635664.thu

4 hours ago, Homebrand said:

Is it?

I don't recall Monsters ever calling it a house album until a few days ago... :rip:  

It wasn't. Not even close. They have never called it House because it's not a House album, the only song that could feat that description is Babylon. 

Aldo there's nothing about BMS that sounds like anything from Chromatic a, it has bounce, rapping and a church choir and a popular synth from the 80's. 

OT : no. 

4 hours ago, bluebirdsforever said:

I mean... it's house-inspired at the very least, I'm not sure what's even up for debate? :rip:

BloodP*p sanitised a lot of the production into oblivion (and yes, he's going to jail for that), but you can hear the original house influence all over the demos.

Both demos were made by BloodPop and Gaga. Then they invited other collaborators that changed both songs actually.

Yes, Chromatica is an album heavily influenced by 90’s house music. 

If anyone bought it the forefront recently wouldn’t it be Calvin Harris? 

6 hours ago, collin said:

There is really nothing “house” about Replay. :rip: The others do have a bit of that though.

Just like Rain On Me, Replay is french house, which is a sub-genre of house music that has a lot of disco influences. See:

Gaga is on much safer ground gliding around the joyous French house swirl of Replay

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/may/29/lady-gaga-chromatica-review-ariana-grande-elton-john

“Replay” bridges disco and deep house with time-warping beats as Gaga sings “The scars on my mind are on replay.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/lady-gaga-chromatica-review-1008302/

From the seductive house beats of ‘Replay’

https://diymag.com/2020/06/01/lady-gaga-chromatica-album-review

1 hour ago, alfonso12 said:

Oh, I mean, french house is another story altogether than the narrative that is being stitched together among the discourse. I can give it that, but it’s really an entirely different genre than original house music was.

Yes, Chromatica is house. Especially Sour Candy, Replay and Alice. Gaga dabbled in house back on schieße as well. Whether it's good or not is up for debate. Much of Chromatica is fine but skippable. 

7 hours ago, Homebrand said:

I don't recall Monsters ever calling it a house album until a few days ago... :rip:  

They've even changed it's EDM genre to house on Wikipedia. It didn't say that a few days ago. :bibliahh:

So embarrassing.

2 minutes ago, GlamSlam said:

They've even changed it's EDM genre to house on Wikipedia. It didn't say that a few days ago. :bibliahh:

So embarrassing.

House is literally part of EDM. This post is even more embarrassing :dies: 

I'm hollering at you keeping up with Chromatica's wiki page though. Are the house chores not keeping you busy lately? 

Edited by State of Grace.

On 6/21/2022 at 7:25 PM, Brando said:

Yep. She immediately ran into the studio upon hearing it. Unfortunately Ariana refused to collab with her on a lead, so she settled for Freeda

Big Freedia isn't a collab it's a sample.

3 minutes ago, GlamSlam said:

:lmao: As if we haven't all been hollering at the liddo's over the last few days....or rather most of 2022.

Ignoring the fact Chromatica was listed as EDM up until YESTERDAY to "House" said it all, and that comment I made was WEEKS ago, but I'm loving the fact I made such an impact and still living rent free in your mind after all this time. How about applying for Mcdonalds, or getting a life instead of keeping track of what others are doing?

Baby girl, Gaga has been living in your and your fellow MNation girlies minds for over a decade, how about YOU apply for McDo instead?

SBswcWq.thumb.png.4bebe1e07946c4cdca6e29 

In many ways yes.

House is one of its most obvious references and genres it leans on. To say that it is not "house music" insofar as pop music goes would be silly.

That being said, there is a reason Chromatica, or Tinashe or Iggy or any of the many pop stars whose productions have used house as a basis have not had this larger discussion, and its very much because they don't (seem) to be using house as a statement, but rather for aesthetic/sonic choices based on their preferences, taste, or desired musical direction and because it fits in with the kind of music they have been known to make. Gaga doing house isn't a surprise in the slightest. Chromatica was regarded as a return to form, not a new music direction the public had not experienced.

This whole measuring of who did what first is really silly because there are so many examples of popstars using house music, and using it consistently for years (BTW as an album also has a lot of house elements). The fact is that it was never a "conversation" the way it is now because both Drake and Beyoncé are doing it back-to-back, and because Beyoncé tends to be someone that is over-scrutinized and over-dissected to the point that her moves generally need to either be 100% new or the public will correct her. This, mixed with the references to Beyoncé's desire to shed light on the originators of the genre (Black artists) of course is going to get more discussion, be it good or bad.

Edited by swissman

The whole conversation of "who did it first" that has come up with Beyoncé doing House presumes that House is a very niche genres and not actually one of the most commonly referenced styles in electronic dance pop. None of our faves did it first. That's the point.

2 hours ago, GlamSlam said:

Ignoring the fact Chromatica was listed as EDM up until YESTERDAY and then changed to "House" said it all.

Virtually every major music publication/reviewer tied Chromatica to 90s House but I'm sure you, whoever you are, know more. Even if it wasn't on Wikipedia listed until yesterday, it's a veritable fact that professionals in the industry have described the album as house music. And yes, a song can be both House and EDM, a lot of the genre is anyway :gayriahcat2:

And since you care about Wikipedia so deeply, here is a excerpt from their page on EDM- "Despite the industry's attempt to create a specific EDM brand, the initialism remains in use as an umbrella term for multiple genres, including dance-pop, house, techno, electro and trance, as well as their respective subgenres." :gayriahcat2:

I'd hope that someone as obnoxious as you would at least have the brains to know what you are talking about before hollering like a hit dog. :gayriahcat2:

Edited by EnigmaticAndroid

1 hour ago, State of Grace. said:

House is literally part of EDM. This post is even more embarrassing :dies: 

I'm hollering at you keeping up with Chromatica's wiki page though. Are the house chores not keeping you busy lately? 

:ahh: never gets old fftttt

I'm SCREAMING at the blatant lying and creation of alternative facts though, not to mention feeling creeped out about this unsettling level of obsession :mazen: even stans don't keep tabs on Wiki articles, let alone individual revisions and edits :biblionny:

Claim:

They've even changed it's EDM genre to house on Wikipedia. It didn't say that a few days ago.

Reality:

The "House" genre was added with a source by an editor to the Wiki page of the album on 22nd April, 2022, WEEKS before this became an actual discourse and NOT yesterday OR a few days ago :deadbanana4:  Let's look at the page revisions.

Apr 20, 2022 
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Chromatica&oldid=1083725077

image.png

Apr 22, 2022

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Chromatica&oldid=1084153617

image-1.png

Deranged, obsessed and shamelessly lying. Talk about embarrassing

OT: It's a dance-pop album with strong 90s French house and acid house influences. Multiple publications reported this when reviewing the album. Trying to deny this is dumb as hell but OGHs live in an alternate reality wbk.

5 minutes ago, Marry Illusion Glory said:

:ahh: never gets old fftttt

I'm SCREAMING at the blatant lying and creation of alternative facts though, not to mention feeling creeped out about this unsettling level of obsession :mazen: even stans don't keep tabs on Wiki articles, let alone individual revisions and edits :biblionny:

Claim:

Reality:

The "House" genre was added with a source by an editor to the Wiki page of the album on 22nd April, 2022, WEEKS before this became an actual discourse and NOT yesterday OR a few days ago :deadbanana4:  Let's look at the page revisions.

Apr 20, 2022 
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Chromatica&oldid=1083725077

image.png

Apr 22, 2022

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Chromatica&oldid=1084153617

image-1.png

Deranged, obsessed and shamelessly lying. Talk about embarrassing

OT: It's a dance-pop album with strong 90s French house and acid house influences. Multiple publications reported this when reviewing the album. Trying to deny this is dumb as hell but OGHs live in an alternate reality wbk.

The shameless lying from these deranged M stans never fails to amaze me:bibliahh:

Maybe Miss GlamSlam should crawl back to MNation where it belongs and come back with better lies.

On 6/22/2022 at 1:19 AM, Juanny said:

The poll :skull: does ATRL not know what is the sound of house music? I’m so perplexed, cause many of the songs are in-your-face house. Like the house beats are blasting out of the speakers like crazy

This album is 100% a house / dance album. There is literally no denying it when more than half the songs have THE classic and standard house beats and sounds on it and the house music tempo.

Gaga’s voice maybe gives it a different poppier twist and there’s a few songs like stupid love that lean to more of a dance pop sound but most of the album is house and anyone who ever listens to house music (I go to house clubs every weekend) will hear the sounds right away

On 6/22/2022 at 3:53 AM, Aren said:

Chromatica is like a mix of House and Eurodance. 

On 6/22/2022 at 10:42 AM, Oxygen said:

Some people really need to learn that correlation does not imply causation. 

Yes, Chromatica is an album that predominantly features house music. 

No, that does not automatically mean that Beyoncé was inspired by Chromatica/Gaga to release a house track. 

On 6/22/2022 at 4:55 PM, The_Bling said:

Eurohouse/eurodance/future house IS house music :deadbanana: 

On 6/22/2022 at 7:02 PM, Juanny said:

Right :rip: 

Pitchfork:

Rolling Stone:

The Guardian:

Wikipedia Genre:

Genre

The literal DEFINITION of house:

ATRL bottoms who didnt even know what a house music is until two days ago and couldnt hear a house beat if it was served right inot their ears:

On 6/22/2022 at 7:42 PM, Rhiannon said:

Those saying Chromatica is EDM pls :gayriahcat2:

NURSE!

OT: Chromatica IS house music.

FVxw1rIVsAAtHls?format=jpg&name=large

Thank you guys for the receipts and the free education :clap3:

I cant at their ignorance being proudly spread all over this thread..... :toofunny3:

On 6/24/2022 at 8:58 AM, Marry Illusion Glory said:

This thread is so embarrassing :toofunny2:

Serving

cooltext413884088358746.png

@Reverse Warholian

:lmao:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.