Would you classify Chromatica as 'house' music?

Weld_E

Would you classify Chromatica as 'house' music?  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Would you classify Chromatica as 'house' music?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, Trent W said:

I’m not trying to shade Chromatica because it was the first time I loved something that Gaga put out.

But there’s no way Drake and Bey released house music because of an album that came out 2 years ago that underperformed. Bey has been working on this album since like 2018/2019 there are even rumors it was supposed to come out in 2020 with a WW tour and it got delayed by the pandemic.

The timing of Gaga influenced Beyonce doesn’t make any sense from any angle.

I'm not saying Beyonce or Drake listened to Chromatica and said "I WANT TO DO THISSSSSS", but it is 100% true the trend was already there by the time their new material dropped. 

Chromatica was released in 2020.  If any artist started working on their album the year before and was still in the process of making it 2 years later, it makes complete sense for that artist to have listened to new music in 2020 and even 2021 and have it consciously or subconsciously influence their output.  It's actually super important when recording or just starting an album to spit ideas around, listen to old and new, try many beats, work with different writers, etc. 

The end result is this one song hopping on a trend mostly started by Gaga.  Maybe the rest of the album will be completely different.  Gaga also doesn't own house music (and no one would ever suggest that), so maybe Bey just felt this was the right time to make house music.  Regardless, like I said before, this is like the 3rd or 4th time Gaga has released something that influenced trends in pop music.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• State of Grace.

• Squall

• collin

• Cryptique

2 hours ago, brainmaniac said:

Lots of reviews pointed out how Chromatica was House/House influenced on its release. It’s not something that just came out of nowhere, so people referring to the album as House/House influenced now isn’t some outrageous or surprising thing :rip:

Well end thread 

Chromatica is like a mix of House and Eurodance. 

No, it's electro pop - which is influenced by house music, but not really, house. 

2 hours ago, Juanny said:

what make Beyoncé’s song ‘more house’? What does that even mean, the song is either House beats / tempo / beat pattern or not. Do you know what house music is to be saying this?

It is longer than 3 minutes for starters, opens and closes with the classic four on floor beats (will make it easier to mix it into sets), incorporates less of a melodically driven pop sounding chorus and relies more on classic soulful Chicago house elements. The house inspired tracks on Chromatica have heavy dance pop, mainstream EDM elements thrown in. Beyoncé’s song’s elements are more gospel, soul, disco which is truer to the *original* house sound. 
And yes I’m a huge house, techno, and trance fan and regularly go to actual shows/festivals/underground events to catch my fav house artists... Will be attending Arc in Chicago for the second year sooo yeah not claiming to be an expert but I am a dedicated fan and that’s my opinion ??‍♂️

The title of this thread should be “Should ATRL invalidate the genre of music Gaga was making so it can pretend Beyoncé wasn’t at least partially influenced by her?”

The reverse of your same point can be made. No one disputed that Chrome was house until Bey dropped her song and suddenly everyone here wants to pretend it isn’t house. 

Yes, Chromatica is house or at least heavily inspired.

it's not house:rip: i don't get why people are calling it house, the only house sounding track is Babylon

Yes, albeit more genre mixed and commercialized than a more pure house record and to varying degrees on different songs on the album. This is pretty clear as day, no?

No, more like dance/edm

4 hours ago, Aristide said:

But people are saying the only reason Beyonce is releasing house music is because Chromatica brought the genre to the mainstream with hits like ROM.

But Rain on me isn’t a house song??? That’s one of the least house songs on the record

It surely has house influenced songs, but not the whole album is like that. It has other influences from dance/edm aswell

the liddos are delusional to think that Beyoncé was spinning chromatica while making this album when she literally samples the beat from and interpolates lyrics from two separate Black house songs. 

it somehow fits y’all’s narrative better that Gaga’s biggest underperforming album is influential when the reality is Beyoncé just does research on historically Black music and does her take on it—see: her At Last cover, the jazz portion of I am Yours, doing an entire afrobeats album, etc

Just because chromatica also has house elements does not make it influential. Like pls…

Edited by yonsé

No, it’s more of a haus music.

It’s a hybrid of traditional house elements and big room EDM, depending on the track, that Bloodpop/Gaga unfortunately watered down to make more pop, given what’ve we’ve heard from the ROM and FW demos. The only real dance pop song is Stupid Love honestly 

4 hours ago, Aristide said:

But how can you be sure there's zero chance Chromatica influenced Beyonce? How would you know? Yeah it may be a reach, but, unfortunately, there's a fairly strong argument that it did influence Beyonce because she dropped house music after Gaga's hit ROM introduced the mainstream to house.

And it was revealed today that she actually started working on the album during the pandemic which is when Gaga released her album. :gaycat2:

4 hours ago, collin said:

We all know this album is deeply house influenced but the final product sanded off almost all of the original elements you hear in the demos that are classically house. The final product is much more dancepop/EDM and the moments of house are few and far between in the album.

This. :cm:

9 hours ago, yeezytaughtme said:

A bit, yes. It’s more dance-pop.

This. It's mainly a dance-pop and EDM album with house influence.

• ATRL Moderator

Some people really need to learn that correlation does not imply causation. 

Yes, Chromatica is an album that predominantly features house music. 

No, that does not automatically mean that Beyoncé was inspired by Chromatica/Gaga to release a house track. 

No. It’s dance-pop

9 hours ago, Aristide said:

But people are saying the only reason Beyonce is releasing house music is because Chromatica brought the genre to the mainstream with hits like ROM.

The album went #1 in the US and all over the world. Both singles were top 5/top 10 all over the world. 

Rain on Me placed on every possible list of best songs of 2020 and won a Grammy. The album placed in many year end lists. 

So, yes, you don't need to be a 21-sized smash in the GP's eyes to be impactful. 

It worked for Gaga and her peers took a note. And the more desperately Gaga's haters try to disprove that, the more it becomes obvious that they most likely some truth in this comparisons and that hurts them, lmao

Every single critic referred to it as ''house''... but it seems because a Britney Spears stan made a thread on ATRL suddenly it's not? Never change ATRL :toofunny2:

This is from Pitchfork's album review, the same Pitchfork that ATRLers who really stan for teenybopper acts worship and use to show off their oh-so superior music taste:

"This is house music at its most shiny and immaculate, a genre made from ache and escapism, high strings and numbing throbs." 

25766721_trishstratusatrlpic.thumb.gif.34666d4e2fb26b2a1d8765b9d743bd6e.gif

No, it's just a basic and dated album, it doesn't make it "house". 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.